New to sockeye fishing ... question - Haida Gwaii

anorthernhunter

Hi Everyone,

I have fished for springs and coho for 30 + years and have been going up to Langara - Haida Gwaii for 11 years now.

I have never fished for Sockeye ... but I hear that there is a bit of a sockeye run going on up there and I am heading up at the end of the month.

Any advice as to how to amend my flasher/cut plug or flasher/hoochie or spoon set up for specifically targeting sockeye.

I suspect that I may have to run both sides specifically dedicated to sockeye vs one side chinook and the other side set up for sockeye.

Appreciate the advice.

Glenn

Maybe they will all be gone by Aug 29th ... but they say they are around now ... just wasn't sure how to change my presentation from chinook/coho to sockeye.

Maybe they will all be gone by Aug 29th ... but they say they are around now ... just wasn't sure how to change my presentation from chinook/coho to sockeye.
This was posted by Wildmanyeah on another thread. Shows you how to catch sockeye. there are lots of other videos on You Tube.

Thanks Cali. I googled techniques for Sockeye and could read/watch for hours. Just looking for a bit of sage advice on here. Sounds like I might miss them end of Aug and should focus on chinook and coho ... and hali ... and lincod lol

As Dogbreath said don't worry about sockeye if you are there the end of August, they will all have migrated past, or be so few stragglers they wont be worth wasting time targeting them. You could be getting some big late Coho and Chinook during that time instead.

Good intel - thanks Cali. Will do. This is my second trip up to Langara this year so thought about trying a different species ... don't really like pink or chum so thought Sockeye.

Back