New To Me

walleyes

Crew Member
So after much deliberation and thought I decided in the end to go used instead of new. As some May know I was looking at getting a new Kingfisher built and I have to say the price was not all that bad. But it just didn't feel right for me. To spend $110,000.00 on a boat that I would only have out on the coast maybe twice a year just didn't make sense. All the while I was still looking and keeping an eye out for a good used boat. This one came by me, I actually had a chance at it this spring and passed it up but the guy phoned me this week and asked me if I was still interested in it and I jumped at the offer. I had a boat for sale and as it turned out he wanted to down size, so we did a trade and I gave him a few dollars on top.

It's a 1996, Wellcraft 264 coastal. With twin 2009 175 Suzuki's with less than 150hrs on them. Yamaha 9.9 kicker on power trim with less than 50hrs. 2 Scotty downriggers, Raymarine radar, 2 gps / sonar combos, She's ready roll just needs some love and care. Mechanicaly and functionally it's in great shape. The fellow bought it in 2006 when he retired from Esso it had the original engines on it they read 197 hrs but they were 2 stroke engines in 2009 he put on these 4 strokes and he put less than 150 hrs on them so as far as anyone can tell the hull only has about 500 hrs on it and it shows. It's needs a good buff and bottom paint but thats about it. Gave it a heck of a good cleaning today and ran some of the electronics through their paces, did a wet run in it yesterday ran great.

ZVWG2C5.jpg

2gQhARx.jpg

ygQgQE4.jpg

PFiabb3.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, nice looking boat!

Awesome! I’m gonna have an MGD right now to celebrate this. I’m not kidding!
Edit: ahhhh. That’s refreshing. Happy Friday!

Congrats. That’s an awesome looking ride and great name too. Still gonna get some fall fishing in??

Oly

Nice boat - don't you live inland? If your saltwater trips are of a short duration you will get better fuel economy w/o bottom paint.

Thx gentlemen, appreciate it.

Lol, I don't mind the name on her but the previous owners last name was Miller so it's kind of his thing, I will try and think of my own.
As far as the bottom paint goes ericl you are right I live inland and my big concern is not so much prevention with new bottom paint but just looks, that old stuff as you can see looks like crap. I didn't spend to much time on the bottom with the pressure washer but what I did it was coming off quite easy so it was not a proper job. In the spring when things warm up I will hit it hard with my pressure washer and after clean it properly and new paint. like I say for looks as much as prevention reasons. Also there are a couple fairly nasty scrapes in the gel coat one side so over the winter I'll strip all decals, do gel coat repairs, power buff the whole boat and buy new decals and pin striping, she'll look new by the time it hits the water next spring. Yesterday I stripped the whole entire boat of contents all cushions out of the cuddy. Sprayed the entire vessel inside and out with a good degreaser and pressure washed every nook and cranny it really freshened it up. Placed fans and a space heater down in the cuddy dried it out overnight and all today. I was quite worried about some of the top and deck as it was quite heavily black spotted and mildew dew to it being stored out doors summer and winter. There was even moss growing along some of the crevices in the back of the deck. Let me tell you that degreaser and my 3500 psi pressure washer made her look like new. I guarantee this boat has not looked this good in years, pulled all the black off her. Now it will just take a good power buff and she'll be like new. I am amazed how good a shape she is in, not a bad hinge or loose bolt she really is a tight vessel. A few minor modifications to some small things like replace hose clamps on fuel lines with stainless crimps just because I'm fussy. By spring she'll be ready for a new show and tell.

Got to polishing the engines today. Hit them with SOS pads and then a spray nine wipe, finished off with a mist of WD40 and a polish rag, they shined right up. I know one thing those Sazuki's don't have the metal or beef to them my ETec did. The ETec is aluminum/metal from the hood down and way beefier around the mounting base, hinges and tilt mechanism and Evenrude has a real system to rest the engine on. These Zuki's are plastic all the way down to the bottom of the leg, my 50 hp on my Walleye boat has as heavy of an engine rest built on it. I'm sure they are a fine engine mechanically as there are lots out there and they get good reports but,,, the quality isn't in the exterior. The ETec casting on the lower leg was flawless to a T and smooth, these engines have quite a few imperfections from the mold. Japanese vs American built I guess.

Last edited:
I have a friend that just removed twin 140 Suzuki's and repowered with the 175 Suzuki's on a 255 Pursuit.I'm told it made a huge difference and he couldn't be happier,you should like yours.

I have a friend that just removed twin 140 Suzuki's and repowered with the 175 Suzuki's on a 255 Pursuit.I'm told it made a huge difference and he couldn't be happier,you should like yours.

I'm sure they are fine engines we see a lot of them out there and they get great reviews I was just a little dispointed in the exterior build quality is all.

You don't actually drink Miller beer - do you Walleyes? :)

Lol, no I put it all down a few years back now. I was an all or nothing kind of guy and well I was to the age it was time to smarten up. Been 8 years now since I've had any kind of drink. The day I found out I was going to be a Grandfater actually. When I did indulge I was a Kokanee man. The name on the boat was the last owners last name so I will be removing it. Still trying to figure out what to name it, may just leave it but would like to come up with something original if I do.

Back