New to me Boat!

you can order a G2 without steering

I’ll have to look into this. At this moment I am still undecided between the G2 and Suzuki.

Pretty amazing that some of the company’s around here are still in business! I’m still waiting for quotes/ phone calls back from multiple dealers. I’m not holding my breath...

I got both sides glassed back in now and have removed the bulk head and door into the cabin. There was no drain in the floor in the cabin so it was soft in one corner. I will replace all the rotten wood and install drains on either side of the 2x6 that runs up the keel.

I now need to figure out how high I need to raise the floor to make it self bailing. I am hopeing that albernifisher will let me get a look at his on the water and take some measurements, other wise I will have to wait until the fuel tank and pod are built as well as the motors are rigged.

72B2ED47-9305-4041-BBDB-4BC0BDD54E21.jpeg 6AEF8EA6-E760-4F1F-ADAF-5330C1E11F72.jpeg

I didn’t move on those merc motors. I spoke to the salesman and he said the motors came from out east and they can’t give me a print out of the motors. Something in my gut said I don’t want them...

Production is slowing down now that summer is pretty much here but I have managed to get a couple things done. I grinded all the glue from the old floor and filled the old through hull from the inboard cooling intake. I grinded it back on both sides of the hull and sandwiched 7 layers of 1.5 oz mat and 1 layer of 1708 on each side of the hull. I just need to clean it up a bit apply some gel coat and bottom paint and you’ll never know it was there.

8FF72EC0-33C2-47E1-B5DE-80F5C29CADC2.jpeg B7DD1F04-5669-44C4-B61A-0C470D53ABEC.jpeg C0AC10D2-2D09-4D0F-B3F7-0BA9AF678898.jpeg

I took Friday off work and finished sanding down the transom in prep for trying my hand at gel coating... after that I loaded up the other boat and my oldest boy and we burned down to Silva bay to spend the night for the Father’s Day derby. When we woke up in the morning it was blowing 31 knots at the entrance island station so I made some coffee and breakfast and decided to pull the plug and burn home on the inside. When we came through dodds narrows we were met with some large waves blowing down northumberlands channel but we made it home! Maybe we’ll try again tomorrow morning to make our way back to Silva bay.

Any ways I slapped a coat of gel on and took the kids to the water park and out for slurpies. When we got home the gel was dry and I got to work sanding away 2.5 hours later I was left with this. It is a little thin still and will need another coat and then probably 6-8 more hours of sanding and polishing to get a smooth shinny surface. Hopefully it turns out ok as this is my first attempt at gel coat.

3E3164B1-A4A5-4ABF-A106-FF5CE9E43455.jpeg 7BE0C069-83BB-49F7-9CAD-685C75992D37.jpeg

I took Friday off work and finished sanding down the transom in prep for trying my hand at gel coating... after that I loaded up the other boat and my oldest boy and we burned down to Silva bay to spend the night for the Father’s Day derby. When we woke up in the morning it was blowing 31 knots at the entrance island station so I made some coffee and breakfast and decided to pull the plug and burn home on the inside. When we came through dodds narrows we were met with some large waves blowing down northumberlands channel but we made it home! Maybe we’ll try again tomorrow morning to make our way back to Silva bay.

Any ways I slapped a coat of gel on and took the kids to the water park and out for slurpies. When we got home the gel was dry and I got to work sanding away 2.5 hours later I was left with this. It is a little thin still and will need another coat and then probably 6-8 more hours of sanding and polishing to get a smooth shinny surface. Hopefully it turns out ok as this is my first attempt at gel coat.

View attachment 38377 View attachment 38376
Looks great! That gel coat sure smells huh!!! I popped the lid and almost passed out. Haha.

I got the second coat of gel on and sanded down to 600 grit. It’s still a little thin it spots but I have decided to leave it as it’s going to be painted over anyways... I just wanted to give it a try and see why it costs so much to have a boat re gelled, I now know why as it’s a lot of work!

Good thing I didn’t go back out on Sunday! The boat was acting up a bit, when I would try to adjust the trim the motor would bog down. I opened it up and found one of the magnets on the fly wheel came loose and burned out the stator... I got the new fly wheel and stator installed today and will take it for a test burn/fish tomorrow after work.

I have arranged for the boat to go to the pod guy and for the fuel tank to be dropped off June 30 so that’s a big step in the right direction! Then it’s off to telegraph cove for a week to relax...

69DF0D2B-9367-4E5A-AE81-D71160194C1D.jpeg F549409C-3CD6-41FD-B7A1-18F6615FD4D5.jpeg

I am amazed with your progress on the boat you have got me beat by 10 miles I'm feeling the pressure now..
I'm getting a kicker bracket tomorrow, loading guides, trailer surge brake actuator next week , bravo 3 drive work the week after LOL
Keep posting your photos I really enjoy seeing what your up to .. looks great so far you have done a lot..
Have a great deal on a new 8" Garmin Chirp sounder plotter for you..

Thanks Mike! Once I get the boat back from the pod guy I will ost some more pictures.

Also thanks for the offer on the garmin, but I just picked up a HDS 9 and a lowrance radar to mount on the roof!

I'm really enjoying this post. It's making me think about starting a project myself. I'm a huge do it yourself guy and am quite handy in most trades, wood, mechanical. Really getting a lot of ideas and very valuable info in this one. Keep it up, can't wait to see your finnish product.

Back