new to ladysmith salmon fishing

DrTom

hi all.....i havent fished for salmon much since i left the sunshine coast in 2012. i live in ladysmith and like to downrigger, mooch also like to flyfish estuary areas for cuttthroat and coho.....any tips on where to look would be appreciated.....will likely put in at ladysmith as i have a new boat ......
thanks in advance.

I'm really the last person who should be answering because I'm much better at jigging fish out of reefs than trolling for salmon, but I've had luck off the south-east corner of Tent Island, and both sides of Porlier - outside and south when the tide is running that way, inside and north when it's running the other. There's also Thrasher Rock not too far away, although I can't honestly say I've had much salmon action there.

I've only lived here for a year, so my experience in the area is fairly limited, or I'd offer more. But those couple of sentences have pretty much exhausted my local knowledge.

If it were me, I would get some charts for the areas near Ladysmith. Look for reefs and steep drop offs. Definitely make sure
the area you are going to fish is not closed. Then keep a diary of your success and the success of others even if they don't
tell you exactly where they caught their fish. To me, it's important to know that there are fish being caught and when. Where
usually remains a mystery if it is someone else who did the catching.

If it were me, I would get some charts for the areas near Ladysmith. Look for reefs and steep drop offs. Definitely make sure
the area you are going to fish is not closed. Then keep a diary of your success and the success of others even if they don't
tell you exactly where they caught their fish. To me, it's important to know that there are fish being caught and when. Where
usually remains a mystery if it is someone else who did the catching.
Yes good idea....been reviewing bottom structure....

Depending on the size of your boat, it's not too long a run from Ladysmith through Gabriola Passage to Thrasher Rock area off north end of Gabriola Island...

Yes good idea....been reviewing bottom structure....
And then go on the DFO website to find most of the good ground is in a Rockfish conservation zone and fishing of any type is prohibited

Yup, and salmon is closed until July 15th and then only Chinook they have to fit between 60 and 65 cm, lol yadda-yadda

Back