New Suzuki 9.9 EFI Reviews

coast

I'm in the market for a new kicker for my 20ft hourston. It would be a remote model no tiller. Im really looking for reviews on the new Suzuki EFI. The research I've done produced mostly good reviews. Cons were noise/vibration and throttle control complaints. I'm assuming the throttle control wouldn't be as much of a problem with the remote model?
Thanks.

I have a 2010 Suzuki 9.9 high thrust kicker. The motor runs well, is efficient, and reliable. But one thing pisses me off so much I would never buy another one. The designers decided to put the water intake on the underside of the cavitation plate. This eliminates the use of "earmuffs" style flushing adapters. You have to make or use a special type of adapter that is a PITA to get on, or you have to use a bucket. And forget about mounting a prop guard because this will exclude all possibilities for flushing using an adapter. Oh... yeah sure, they also offer a screw in adapter but to use it you have to remove a tiny little Allen head screens screw the adapter into that, then attach that to a hose. Ridiculous. Sure use a bucket at home, but what about if you have the boat moored? Anyway, check to see if Suzuki has resolved that issue on new motors. Otherwise you will be forever fighting with it.

Just bought one this year at the boat show through Eddie at motorcycle world 9.9btl I think it is? Remote power tilt efi. Very happy so far, had an 08 before that just keeps going. Motor flushing is no longer an issue there is now a flush port for the hose just like the big motors. I don't think you can go wrong with 6 years of warranty efi, power tilt HT for $3600 including controls. The older motors used to vibrate and be quite noisy but the new ones are much quieter, very easy startup with the fuel injection and a nice quiet idle right away.

I have a 2010 Suzuki 9.9 high thrust kicker. The motor runs well, is efficient, and reliable. But one thing pisses me off so much I would never buy another one. The designers decided to put the water intake on the underside of the cavitation plate. This eliminates the use of "earmuffs" style flushing adapters. You have to make or use a special type of adapter that is a PITA to get on, or you have to use a bucket. And forget about mounting a prop guard because this will exclude all possibilities for flushing using an adapter. Oh... yeah sure, they also offer a screw in adapter but to use it you have to remove a tiny little Allen head screens screw the adapter into that, then attach that to a hose. Ridiculous. Sure use a bucket at home, but what about if you have the boat moored? Anyway, check to see if Suzuki has resolved that issue on new motors. Otherwise you will be forever fighting with it.

I have that same issue on a Merc kicker. Intake on the underside of the cavitation plate.

So I made this:- works like a charm. (But I can't engage the prop in gear while I have it on..not that I need to..:))

IMG_0359.JPG

Back