new setup?

O

old steely man

Hi guys i was looking to get a new set up Islander centerpin reel and rod .What rod would you recommend with this reel.
Thanks guys.

Get your self an original Sage 3113MB blank and tie it up for the centre pin. I think Sage has even re-released these blanks for doing just that.

They are silky!

If you want a lighter version then go with the Sage 3113LB.

Course theer are a myriod of others , but that is a combination I am fond of. Great for Steelhead!

HL is right!!

dont think there is a better blank in the world
its my combo :D

my person opinion is the 3113MB

Definitely the perfect combo. I have been using the steelheader real for many years. My real serial # is 199.

Thanks Guys who sells those rods a how much do they run.

Did you guy's buy the blank and then get the rod made up or did you buy the rod already made.
Thanks for your input guys.

old steely man,

The 3113 MB is my choice as well. I think the blank itself costs about $200 to $300. If you want 1 build, I think they cost around $500 to $550. Sage also sells them pre-build as well. You might be able to get a used one around $350.00.

HS.

Shermanater

as soon as I get my wrapper you can custom make your own :) just like Graham's :D

just wish they made that 3113M in a 12'6 blank

Hi guy's i was woundering with the islander center pin reels do you have to put backing under the mono like you do with their mr2 reels?

roger that!!!if your gna run the standard 15lbs main,and buy the 220 yrd spool....yer gna need 2 fill er up 2{with what ever backing or mono}half way up 2 the most outer holes on the face of yer pin.....if that makes sence......fills er up right nice.............

shakes

Yeh fill it up my (opinion only) if the pin has more line, the bigger diameter on your spool, which will gives you a bit faster retrieve
so if you really need to get speed up on your fish when its runs at you, it might just make a bit of difference on speed for retrieving when you need it :)

what kind of backing do you guys use under your 15 lb test line?

throw on some colorfull fly line backing......could be pricey......but if your runnin the islander,and a sage........whats a couple of extra bucks....

Hi i am "thinking" about getting a pin set up. Im on a budget, so i was wondering if there is a decent set up under 500 bucks? I use my bait caster all the time, but everytime i see a pin i want to try it out! Would love to get an islander but i just cant afford it, hockey(im a goalie) and family compete for my xtra cash. Thanks for any help!

Cheers Tyler

Hey Pnutz,
You can get an islander with the new trophy xl rogue series for probably around $500. Any store that sells the islander cp charges about 399 but with some barganing you should get it down to 320 and that rod is about 200ish, it is pretty nice too at 11'4"and is made for a pin reel. So its something to think about.

Hey thanks, thats right in my price range. Ill have to have a peek into a few stores and see what i can do.

Pnutz

I just picked up and extra PIN Rod for my drift boat I currently have an Islander and sage
I picked this rod up to flip back and forth for different rivers some days I just dont need that 11'4 sage
I just got a 10'6 Lami glass and a Raven Center Pin for under 450.00 thats including taxes
For a first time center pin you cant go wrong:D (you might be able to talk him into some line)
you might hate the pin (likely not after a fish on it) so don't go out spending $1000.00 on a combo before you decide its the way you are going to go and ditch the Bait caster
I picked it up at the scream fly and reel
( I am not flogging the name, I have no problem telling you to go somewhere else if the deal is good) but this set up great for any first time pin guy
Looks like they got a fresh shipment of gear
RVP ha opened early for me to get gear a couple of times before I go out Saltwater or Freshwater that helps (so does that strong coffee in the am ) LOL

Go down and look :) and see for your self

last couple of years....trophy has been puttin out a nice pin.....i think it was goin 4 under $200 bucks......and fenwick puts out a 10'6 drift rod....again well under $200 bones........cant go wrong

shakes

Back