New rods needed for downriggers fishing. Any suggestions?

Had a rough weekend and ended breaking my two Fenwick HMX rods - one on a large fish and one on a failed quick release. So I am looking for new rods. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should get?

Temple Fork Outfitters Model #TFO-DR9.Awesome downrigger rod.It's a 9 fter though,so if you prefer the 10.5 fters
maybe not exactly what you're looking for.Fished this all last summer and was very impressed with it.Managed to
wrestle the tyee in my avitar away from a hungry seal with it and that's what sold me on the rod.

You can't go wrong with Shimano. The Convergence comes in around $110 and the Technium is about $200 but rivals rods that are far more expensive. If i'm not mistaken the Techniums had or have a lifetime warranty on them but don't quote me. I painfully researched this topic and the consensus was Shimano so that's what I went with...

There is no lifetime warranty on the shimanos anymore . I broke one last year and I think the technium only had a one year warranty.

Go see the boys at trotac they will hook you up some good fishing rods in there ask for trev or turbo(chris).... tell them Wolf sent ya in

Another vote for the Shimano technium. Go with the medium, which is a great year round rod.

I love techniums. FYI I have been down rigger fishing since 1986 & never broken a rod. Have never seen one broken either.

Over the last 40 plus years it seems that the more expensive a rod is, the more fragile/less forgiving it is because it is made lighter/thinner with stiffer materials.
Never spent more than $50 on a rod before the techniums. I broke a tip on one while being an idiot.

Shakespeare Ugly Stik! $79 for a 9' trolling rod with a 7 year warranty. It won't break on a large fish, but any trolling rod has a possibility of breaking if you reef hard enough on them trying to pop the clip out...

I have had my 3 Ugly Stik's for 20 years and still going strong. They are 9' and are great for the downriggers. I was sold when the sales guy took the tip and bent it around in a full circle.
I also have a 10 1/2 ft Penn which is nicer to play a salmon on but the longer rod makes it harder to grab the line to put in the downrigger clip.
Just don't get a cork handle as the rod holders tear them up.

had a friend show me how tough the ugly sticks are years ago. did the same thing bending the ugly stick around in a circle. as he did that it snapped. he was a bit embarrassed. prob got a new one on warranty I imagine...

Ugly Stiks are not Dock Demons, they are not made to be bent completely around from tip to handle. Some of them will if they are of light enough action, but I highly doubt any company would warranty such an abusive action.

I own 4 different Ugly Stiks, all for different things. I no longer use any other rod for fishing except for fly fishing, and that is only because I can't seem to locate an Ugly Stik fly rod for salmon.

I've pulled in 20lb salmon on the 6.6' medium trout rod. 15-20lb ling cod (had to sling shoot the fish up a 15' cliff face to land them!) on the 9' and 15' big water casting rods. 25lb salmon, and 45lb halibut on the 9' trolling rod. The only one that's ever broken was the trout rod because I accidentally closed the tip in a door. Wise Buys in Colwood fixed it for like $6...

Last edited:
had a friend show me how tough the ugly sticks are years ago. did the same thing bending the ugly stick around in a circle. as he did that it snapped. he was a bit embarrassed. prob got a new one on warranty I imagine...

Lol my friend did that with a factory sage rod. He tripped and it snapped! We all had a good chuckle...

Last edited:
if you fish with other people consistently you can't beat a 10'6 rod. As others stated tho, by yourself it is much easier to land a fish with a 9'0 rod.

I like to have lot's of bend in my rod when playing a Salmon - if the Salmon swims towards you, the bend will help keep tension on the fish while you start reeling. But you have to be using a knuckle buster reel to reel-down tight enough to get lot's of bend. That would equate to a long, medium action rod. The knuckle buster should also allow you to just reel until the line comes out of the release, especially when a fish is on. I always twist my line & clamp the twisted part in the release - it pulls out nice & smooth. I also use power pro braid with a 15yd mono topcoat; the braid gives you a much better feel about what is going on; when a fish strikes & does not come out of the release take the rod outta the holder, startreelin & pointing the tip down at the water, when the line gets tight keep reeling while GENTLY raising the rod & you should feel the line pop outta the release, keep reeling until the line gets tight again & reel & raise to set the hook. I stop reeling when/if the rod starts pumping which means the fish is stationary & shaking his head. Head shaking needs to be highly discouraged by letting go of the handle & letting the fish run. I think the average 80 yo Grandma is better at playing a Salmon than a man.

Sir reel when you come back to sooke ill show you how easy it is to use a longer rod ..... on the boat so simple you will laugh

12' on the outside 10'6" on the inside rods running 4.

Back