New 'Kiss My... Chinook' Derby June 18!

SVIAC

Buy a ticket now Kiss My … Chinook Derby Tickets
or go to http://anglerscoalition.com/?page_id=4246 to buy tickets online and for more derby information

What - An inexpensive no-frills South Vancouver Island salmon fishing derby to be held on Saturday of this Father’s Day Weekend

When - Saturday 18th June 2016 from 5:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Why - This is a fun, angler-friendly salmon fishing event designed to make a soft protest against the authorities for the poor treatment South Vancouver Island angling community has received related to the management of Fraser Chinook salmon. This event is for all those anglers who are deeply frustrated by the year-in-year-out uncertainty and overly restrictive salmon regulations during June and July. Using a no frills format the derby will reward its contestants with a chance at two main cash prizes. One prize for the largest legal salmon and one prize will be a draw.

Derby Headquarters and Weigh Station
The Kiss My … Chinook Derby will be headquartered at Pedder Bay RV Resort and Marina, 925 Pedder Bay Road (off Rocky Point Road in Metchosin). The derby’s official weigh station will also be at the same location.

Boundaries: Contestants can fish in the Canadian tidal waters off: Oak Bay, Victoria, Esquimalt, Colwood, Metchosin, East Sooke, Sooke and Shirley. The western boundary is a north – south line from the mouth of Jordan River to the US – Canadian International border in mid-Juan de Fuca Strait and the eastern boundary is a east – west line from Cadboro Point to the US – Canadian International border in mid-Haro Strait. Please see derby rules listed on anglerscoalition.com for details.

Rules and Regulations - Link to the Kiss My … Chinook Rules and Regulations Page

Tickets - Standard ticket price $50 per rod
Discounts:
1. – Regular ticket price includes a special 6 month SVIAC membership
2. – SVIAC members can purchase a derby ticket for $40 (a $10 discount)
3. – Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament ticket holders price $25

Buy a ticket now Kiss My … Chinook Derby Tickets

NOTE: 1. If there are any profits arising from this event the SVIAC, the event organizers, will direct them towards supporting the Sooke River Chinook Revitalization Initiative and strengthening their lobbying efforts. 2. In the unlikely event there is a closure of the fishery announced by DFO that would impact this derby all monies collected for ticket sales will be refunded.

So who's going in this derby?

It is for a good cause, a cheap price and also a bit of a protest to the DFO regulations BS that we are being subjected to!

I hear tickets are now available at: Island Outfitters, Wise-Buys Tackle, Eagle Eye Outfitters, Pedder Bay Marina and I think Trotac (and online at the SVIAC website anglerscoalition.com

Chris Bos had indicated that he wants everyone at Pedder Bay for the 4 pm closing of the weigh scales. He plans on having a few banners to pass out and then have a drone fly over everyone with a camera and take some pictures to send to the new fisheries minister as a protest. Its looking like the last half of June and July fishing decision will come on the last day possible like we thought. A complete farce for any business in the fishing industry in the Sooke and Victoria area. I know that tackle stores and marine power product outlets are suffering needlessly.

So are manufacturers. Any disruption to sport fishing industry is extremely bad for local business. That's what's most frustrating many people spend thousands of dollars ramping up inventory and spending cash on development in the winter months. Two months of no business can sink some people. It has risk but seriously why not just get a decision earlier so we could all move on. Maybe if businesses knew ahead of time they could plan better. Anyway I wish I could be there. This decision has really screwed Sooke and the fishery. Good luck with the derby guys.

Last edited:
There is a minimum $2000.00 cash draw prize to be awarded for just buying a ticket!!! Even if you can't fish the derby support this effort and make sure that SVIAC at least breaks even financially in this protest!!! Tickets will be available at the Tally Ho pub night this Wednesday the 15th from 5-8 pm. Its also wing night and a pound are only $5.50. Come on down and say hello to the crew and all the guys picking up their shirts and hats for the JDF Tournament.

Tickets and window stickers which I just found out tonight are being used for this derby are available at Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Eagle Eye and I believe Trotac has them too. I'm not involved as an organizer with this derby as my time is already consumed with the other derby. I just looked on the Coalition site and the retail outlets aren't mentioned so just going from memory on Trotac having tickets.

KMC derby tickets are for sale at Island Outfitters in Victoria, Wise Buys in Colwood, Eagle Eye in Sooke and Pedder Bay Marina in Metchosin

Thanks guys! I know there are other derbies going on this weekend but I hope ticket sales finish strong for this one.

Back