New Islander Looking for tips on Non Salmon Seafood

Hi Everyone!
My wife and I are moving to Victoria (Langford) Sept 1st. I love seafood and fishing but we arent fans of salmonids or most trout. Whats the story about the bottom fish?
Total newbie when it comes to salt water so whats good eating?
Rock Cod
Ling Cod (I imagine these guys are similar to our ling cod/burbot from the praries?)
Flounder is obviously good
what else? Keep in mind I will be mostly a shore fisher man, maybe a kayak.

Crab: Dungeness is obviously king but what about other species like rock crab?

Dont know anything about eating bass, so whats that like?

How realistic is it to dig clams, harvest mussels etc? (I know there are many closures for shell fish etc...)

Thanks for any help and advice!
Tony Canevaro

Start here http://www.shorecaster.bizhosting.com/

There are a few fishing piers around the south Island that might be of use to you but most bottomfish are tough to fish from shore since they like rocky places-Flounder/Sole excepted.

There's also shore fishing Vancouver Island facebook group that someone told me about.

This book will help with Crabbing from your kayak his Bottomfishing book though is somewhat dated

51%2BD9%2BAjGtL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Halibut is my favourite. Not many places where you'll get one from shore though.

I'm a former prairie boy as well, But I sold seafood to restaurants for 8 years so I have a bit of knowledge. Ling Cod here doesn't taste anything like burbot. Just strictly talking about eating and not catching I would rate them. Halibut, Ling Cod, Albacore Tuna, Sole, Snapper. Don't bother with Rock Crab not much meat or flavour. As far as shellfish goes it's cheap out here and a very regulated industry I would not risk getting sick by getting my own. Finest at Sea is a good place to buy as well as Cowichan Bay seafoods in the Hudson Market. Good luck with your move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it was me moving here I would:

Keep reading this forum.

Buy a boat or at least start saving for one and fish from Shore.

Take some basic Power Squadron courses.

Get your boat operator's card (drivers licence for boats).

Give Salmon one more chance. Salmon caught fresh and eaten the same day are nothing like Frozen salmon which are stronger tasting and dryer. Try a same day caught mild fatty white Chinook filleted and cut up and then soaked in a very light sea salt brine in the fridge for a couple of hours and then cooked (but not overcooked) on a smoky barbecue. It will have a mild flavor and will melt in your mouth, especially the bellies which have a higher fat content. You may decide you like it.

Post from time to time about your fishing efforts from shore, shell fish harvesting and learning adventures, ask questions. Join one of the angling associations like the ESQ Anglers Association and the South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition. Go to meetings, volunteer for fund raisers and clipping Coho etc. Be nice to everyone including those on this forum, mention occasionally that you are saving for a boat but would love to get out on the water; who knows you may get invited to go out on a few peoples boats where your chance to catch all kinds of Fish and seafood including Prawns and Crab will be greatly increased. You will learn a lot even if you can afford your own boat right away. The ocean is not a small inland lake, (fog, big waves and wind, riptides and current like a fast river, big ships and constant repairs and maintenance on anything that gets near salt water. There is a lot to learn if you are going to be safe on it and be successful catching whatever seafood you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great advice for most anything in life. Being nice never goes out of style does it?
I am looking at boats. Like a lot of things about west coast fishing, the language had me totally buffaloed ;)
I have a hunch I'll be spending a lot of time at the tackle shop, buying coffees... :)
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as shellfish goes it's cheap out here and a very regulated industry I would not risk getting sick by getting my own. Finest at Sea is a good place to buy as well as Cowichan Bay seafoods in the Hudson Market. Good luck with your move.

you gotta be kidding ?
Dungeness crab $17.00 lb at the market

Ditto, can't stand the thought of paying for shellfish when you can get fresh stuff with just a little thought and effort. I live in the interior and would rather forgo shellfish most of the year in favour of getting fresh when I'm at the coast. I'll freeze clam meat and crabs for a little while but it's not the same.

Back