New Halibut Regulations Update

yammy5

I posted this in the conservation & politics section but for those of you that don't follow that thread:

Category(s):

RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0192-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut: Change to size of fish within possession limit

Coastwide

Effective at 00:01 hours April 1, 2012 the daily limit for halibut is one (1)
and the possession limit for halibut is two (2), of which only one may be
greater than 83 cm.

The Department will be issuing a fishery notice shortly with steps anglers
should take to ensure that their fish can be shown to be within the size limit.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0192
Sent March 14, 2012 at 10:41
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Neat. We get small fish, commies get large. Maybe DFO could tweak the formula so 1/2 commies catch is under 15 lbs.

Well a 77cm salmon is around 17 to 18 lbs-does an 83 cm Hali go heavier? Don't understand how the slot helps anything as the commercial catch which is 85% of it has no limits-man these guys would F3ck up the L$rds prayer!!!

from a basic formula from Hali.net

32inch = 15lbs , more like %50-%60 take home.... 7-8 lbs,,,,awesome eh !!!

how many injured ones will be sent back ??? joke.... X2 on the Blood Boiling

i aint wasting my time on the cute little Ping Pongers , so , 1day/1poss it is , brutal ,

atleast for us that spend a rediculous amount of money going to and from there...

fd

15 lbs or 11.82 filleted or some shyte like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly I think we will be stuck with this BS forever.
Once we have given up something we have never gotten it back.
This is not going to be "for this season only to make it work" as the supporters of this idea have said.

No closing date or season extension listed in that fisheries notice.

HOW PATHETIC OF BOTH DFO AND THE SFAB to install this REGULATION ....... THERE GOES TOURISM again in BC with yet another HUGE HIT.

If you endorsed this I hope you feel ashamed of what you have done both to the Halibut fishery and TOURISM.

What should be done is mandate SINGLE BARBLESS ( circle hook my choice ) and if you must stick to your 2 possession , then make it 2 per day. ALSO, HOW RIDICULOUS TO ADVOCATE THE KILLING OF THE BIG SPAWNERS. MAKE A MAX size limit of what would equate to a 50 or 60 lb. fish.

This new regulation will KILL MORE BIGGIES over all as my day of releasing the biggy is done. Now it's about having only ONE chance to get off shore of which I will NOW BE HOLDING OUT for the biggy rather then releasing it !

WAY TO GO DFO AND SFAB for your part ! YOUR PATHETIC !

HT

Just go back a few years when the DFO was dithering on the salmon fishing seasons, well the fishing tourism around Terrace and Kitimat still have not recovered and they are now working on the halibut season. It will be all owned by the Barons.

I got a feeling it's gonna be a hard one for DFO to enforce.
when they introduced this reg. they should have been very specific as to how
the size/weight is calculated.
whole ,gutted ,filleted , head off, tail off ???

How are you supposed to measure 15-20 lbs of flopping, slimy fish
without damaging it ?

Wow, I'm speechless.

I hate to imagine the impact this will have on all the independent guides, fishing lodges, and small west coast communities that depend on people to come and spend thier money to fish every summer. Alaska went thru this very same thing last year and many lodges felt a huge impact, so this year they relaxed it a little.

Didn't the DFO just add 3% to the recreational quota ??? Seems like 1 step forward and ten steps backward.

I have a feeling that WDFW will catch wind of this and adopt something similar for Washington waters, but I hope not.

I think this is just another step in the process.

quote from Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

TBD

" The Department will be issuing a fishery notice shortly with steps anglers
should take to ensure that their fish can be shown to be within the size limit."

whatever the f that means...

Help I need some aspirin, think I am having a gaser! Question for all you smart folks out there. Transport, if one was to keep one of these small halibut how is one supposed to transport it? Pretty hard to fillet it up and then get a size measurement. So knew formula with head off whole, or whole fish? Will be fun if that is the case green slime all the way to your door. One other question is gifting a guides fish to the client illegal? Thanks in advance.

I think this is just another step in the process.

a step in what process? To cut the sporties out for good? Or to give us a fighting chance?

I've already lost 1 trip to the weather hoping for a halibut this year. Next is at the end of the month for 5 days...hopefully I will get a chance for my one or two then.

I am pretty sure we will have to leave the fish, gutted, head on if the limit is 83 cm, unless they give us a head off measurement (ie. tail to pec fin measurement) and that fish will have to remain like that until we arrive at our place of residence...

Back