New 'Gillis-SOR' film of Shea's sockey visit...

While you are at it... you might want to meet your Minister?

Prior to her election to the House of Commons, Ms. Shea was a member of the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island. She was first elected in April 2000 and was appointed to the provincial cabinet as Minister of Community and Cultural Affairs where she was responsible for the Status of Women, the Worker’s Compensation Board and the Island Waste Management Corporation. From 2002 to 2007, Ms. Shea served as Minister of Transportation and Public Works.

Prior to entering politics, Ms. Shea managed a small family business for 15 years.

Ms. Shea has long been active in her community. She served as vice-president and treasurer of Royal Canadian Legion Branch #6. She has also served as a school trustee and former president of the local Home and School Association. Ms. Shea’s long record of volunteerism includes involvement in her local community festival, sports teams and church. A passionate advocate for seniors, she has also run a tax preparation program for seniors.

Ms. Shea is married to Russell and has five children and seven grandchildren.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/minister-ministre/bio-eng.htm

Sounds like an outstanding citizen, but does she know anything
about managing our Pacific Salmon/Halibut fishery ?

I heard that Shea's husband is a former east coast commercial fisherman.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Regardless of Shea's outstanding public service record - "What the fuc# does she know about managing fisheries?"

Sadly for all Canadians' these politicians switch hats at the drop of a hat (Hearn's to Shea) as soon as there's an inkling of dissatisfaction.

For our fish - this really sucks!

Charlie, you do know that you know more about Canadian politics than all other Americans combined, right? :)
She doesn't need to know anything about fish, she only needs to know that the decision makers under her don't know anything and make immediate, meaningful changes. The causes of the latest sockeye collapse will be difficult to pin down and lay blame. Something happened between the lake and the open ocean in 2007. Who's to blame? Fraser River managers, fish farms, nature, etc...?
Cost of a tidal license in PEI = $0.00.

Well, I don't know anything about Canadian Politics and I am way too old to start learning, but, I did write the following.:)

They say the "World" is going to end in 2012. Well, I do not know if that will actually happen or not, but if it does, I believe "IT" will out survive British Columbia's "Wild" Salmon, if the current itinerary continues on the present course!

There is a vision shared amongst Canada's Ministerial and senior management and this does include the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), she has been tasked with it.</u> The vision: Canada is ranked #22 (in Aquaculture market share). They believe that market share can be increased to #3…and can be accomplished within five years. If I am not mistaken, there is 3 years remaining to complete their vision. The Minister of DFO has announced this publically and it is defined in the "Nation Aquaculture Strategic Action Plan Initiative". http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/lib-bib/nasapi-insapa/nasapi-inpasa-eng.pdf

"Among the objectives of the program are (i) to have all stakeholders, including industry, governments and others, agree upon 5-Year Strategic Action Plans for each industry sub-sector to help the Canadian aquaculture industry reach its full potential; and (ii) to develop a national strategic agreement for sustainable aquaculture development with coordinated provincial and territorial implementation through MOUs or other mechanisms. The program builds on past initiatives to advance aquaculture in manner that respects DFO’s broader mandate in fisheries (e.g. Policy for Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon; Wild Atlantic Salmon Conservation Policy) and fish habitat (e.g. Policy for the Management of Fish Habitat)."

"The Government of Canada announced a $70 million investment over five years in Budget 2008. This funding will create the conditions for a successful and sustainable aquaculture industry across Canada.</u>
This investment will streamline the regulatory process, strengthen science to create performance-based environmental standards, spur innovation to enhance the sector’s competitiveness and productivity, and develop a certification scheme to meet rigorous quality standards in international markets."
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/sustainable-durable/sustainable-durable-eng.htm

That is $70 million – "to meet rigorous quality standards in the international markets"? I bet that does NOT include the use of "SLICE"!

Without getting into sarcasm about, just how much is the U.S. "farmed salmon market" worth. My real question is… do you really think the "WILD SALMON" can support that many more "sea lice"? They refer to sea lice on salmon as "load". All I can say, is that load is too heavy! The Wild Salmon cannot carry it!

Boy, has my bubble been busted here! I have always thought of and had the highest esteem for DFO. I really thought they did some nice work and was doing a good job, until just recently?

I really do understand the economic value of fish farms, it is huge! I am okay with Canada increasing their market share to #3 and much happier seeing it done in British Columbia; rather than here in my State of Washington.

However, do not let them trade off the "wild salmon" for "U.S farmed salmon" market share! DFO really needs to settle the "sea lice" issue, prior to going forward with their "Vision" to conquer the international aquaculture market! If they do not, the Wild Salmon are doomed!

To add to the above:
I will not be surprised when DFO announces the primary reason for Fraser River collapse was the result "warming sea temperatures and "warming" currents. When that is announced just ask a few questions, before believing it.
1. Is the U.S. importing any salmon that has "ever" been treated with "SLICE"?
2. What is the Fraser Sockeye outgoing migration route?
3. What was the "load" count of sea lice during their migration?

Who's to blame? Since the smolt left the Fraser River, I can't see how the managers could be at fault. According to NOAA there has been favorable ocean conditions for the last two years! Hmmm... That kind of narrows it down a little, doesn't it?

Charlie:

You wrote: "I really do understand the economic value of fish farms, it is huge! I am okay with Canada increasing their market share to #3 and much happier seeing it done in British Columbia; rather than here in my State of Washington."

With all due respect my friend, you, like so many out there, are completely misinformed when it comes to knowing the truth about the 'economic-value' of the net-pen business.

To be fair, I suppose we also need to qualify 'economic-value'.
If you are referring to the value of the Norwegian owned industry to a small handful of Norwegian shareholders, yes, I would agree the value to them of being able to leave their '****' on our front-lawn and take the lion's-share of the money out of country - is huge.

I won't go into my usual diatribe about the many negative impacts of the industry on our coastal marine ecology, but I will say this:
Back in 99' or so then Min. of Agriculture John Van Dongen said - as the Liberal ministry was preparing to lift the existing moratorium on expansion of the industry - he expected the industry would create close to 20,000 jobs in BC.

What a crock!

As well as our own government, the industry, too, routinely uses grossly inflated employment stats to help maintain their strangle-hold on our waterways.

In an essay I wrote on the industry around the same time period (2000 ish) I quoted some N.O.A.A. data on industry employment that stated each salmon-farm created the full-time job equivalent of 8 to 10 jobs per farm. At the time, they also stated that the estimate was consistent with current industry data from Norway.

So, more correctly, if we are talking about net-economic benefit to average British Columbian's - and while mindful also that new-technology introduction tends to supplant the human workforce over time - I'd peg the number of industry jobs in BC at not much more than 1000.

With the industries' collapse in Chile consequent of the recent ISA breakout, the BC salmon-farmers are anxious to expand operations to try to grab and fill the void in the US market. This is scary!

If memory serves, the BC net-pen business output comes in somewhere around 80 to 100-thousand metric tons annually.

As recently as 94'or so, BC's commercial Pacific Salmon harvest crested the 100,000/ton mark above and beyond the Native and Sport fishery!

Think about that for a moment...

We need to refocus our Government on our spectacular Province's natural ability to grow pure - 'Home-grown in BC' - Wild Pacific Salmon - naturally.

Also, my 'South of the Border Brother' - salmon farms are coming to the Straight of Juan de Fuca!

X2
quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Charlie:

You wrote: "I really do understand the economic value of fish farms, it is huge! I am okay with Canada increasing their market share to #3 and much happier seeing it done in British Columbia; rather than here in my State of Washington."

With all due respect my friend, you, like so many out there, are completely misinformed when it comes to knowing the truth about the 'economic-value' of the net-pen business.

To be fair, I suppose we also need to qualify 'economic-value'.
If you are referring to the value of the Norwegian owned industry to a small handful of Norwegian shareholders, yes, I would agree the value to them of being able to leave their '****' on our front-lawn and take the lion's-share of the money out of country - is huge.
That is correct! I do understand. If anyone thinks Mr Joe Public is going to directly benefit from fish farms, they are sadly mistaken! However, unfortunately the Canadian government will... and that is what "they" are focused on!

quote:As well as our own government, the industry, too, routinely uses grossly inflated employment stats to help maintain their strangle-hold on our waterways.

In an essay I wrote on the industry around the same time period (2000 ish) I quoted some N.O.A.A. data on industry employment that stated each salmon-farm created the full-time job equivalent of 8 to 10 jobs per farm. At the time, they also stated that the estimate was consistent with current industry data from Norway.

So, more correctly, if we are talking about net-economic benefit to average British Columbian's - and while mindful also that new-technology introduction tends to supplant the human workforce over time - I'd peg the number of industry jobs in BC at not much more than 1000.
Right again, right now there are a little over a 1000 jobs created directly from fish farms. That is a fairly easy number to obtain... if one wants to argue, yes I am also aware of the other jobs created (eg processing, shipping, marketing, etc).

quote:With the industries' collapse in Chile consequent of the recent ISA breakout, the BC salmon-farmers are anxious to expand operations to try to grab and fill the void in the US market. This is scary!

If memory serves, the BC net-pen business output comes in somewhere around 80 to 100-thousand metric tons annually.

As recently as 94'or so, BC's commercial Pacific Salmon harvest crested the 100,000/ton mark above and beyond the Native and Sport fishery!

Think about that for a moment...
It is real scary and it is going to get "more" scary for my friends "north" of the border! Especially knowing the U.S. has stated it won't import if there has been "any" non-approved drugs used, period... with or without any "residual" effects. If a non-approved drug is used you cannot import into the U.S., (even though we are already using them... and i am referring to SLICE)

Your "Wild" salmon do not stand a chance!
quote:We need to refocus our Government on our spectacular Province's natural ability to grow pure - 'Home-grown in BC' - Wild Pacific Salmon - naturally.
Yes you do... if you continue on the current path, the "Wild" salmon will not survice! The trade-off of wild salmon for U.S. market share?

quote:Also, my 'South of the Border Brother' - salmon farms are coming to the Straight of Juan de Fuca!
We already have salmon fish farms there - on our side of the border! Along, with a couple of other places in WA! :(

Maybe this should be publicized more.

"Health Canada approves neurotoxin used on salmon farms

The unsustainable practice of salmon farming in open net-cages relies heavily on the use of chemicals – from artificial colourants and antibiotics to pesticides. Canada’s recent approval of emamectin benzoate (marketed as SLICE®), a chemical used in an attempt to control proliferating sea lice levels on salmon farms, is a step backward for food and environmental safety.

SLICE® has long been opposed by scientists and environmentalists due to lack of thorough scientific research on its effects. Even with approval, the health effects are still unknown as the agency did not release many details around the criteria for human safety. CAAR contacted Health Canada requesting approval details and received the disturbing response that research was conducted by the manufacturer, is proprietary, and not available to the public.

Also alarming is the removal of a required withdrawal period of 68 days between the last use of SLICE® and harvest of the treated fish. Soon, farmed fish will legally go to market regardless of the last time they came into contact with the pesticide. Given that SLICE® has been shown to persist in the tissue of fish and the environment for a period of weeks to months, this should be of particular concern to American consumers who not only consume over 85% of the salmon farmed in BC, but the US FDA lists the active ingredient in SLICE® as a banned substance.

I am starting to sound like a broken record here, but?

Viewing "Fraser Sockeye Lice Infection: Response by Marine Harvest", which by the way is just a remake of the same thing published about a year ago? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56NuDs7eOg&feature=related

I found it kind of interesting, but it left me with more questions than answers concerning their "Managing for Sea Lice" and Marine Harvest Canada's sea life management program"
The inspection of 60 farmed salmon over 30 days?
Since 2004 have been posting monitored sea lice data?
If required a treatment (SLICE, I assume?)may be added?
Treatments are rare and occur over a 2 year cycle. This is HUGH, was there a treatment in 2007?
All inspected during this period were well below the threshold?

So, off to the website, I go to find my answers and this is where I got a little surprised! Yep, found the government mandated inspection, monitoring, and documentation requirements. Now the film shows a time frame between January 2008 and June 2008? Nothing addressing the 2007 outgoing migration of the Fraser Sockeye could be found anywhere. So still on my quest, I opened almost all the data pages. The oldest data found was one page dated in 2006. (There could be more as I did not open all the data pages!), but most were showing data started in 2008 or 2009. What happened to the older data of 2004 as claimed in their film?

This is strictly my belief, as I cannot find any documentation or answers anywhere?

I am of the opinion SLICE was not used "as needed" to control sea lice during the Sockeye outgoing migration. Had it been I do not believe there would have been the collapse to such an extent? "I believe", due to the lack of SLICE the Sockeye were highly infected with sea lice was the main contributing factor? I certainly would be asking to see the records for 2007 and when and where SLICE was used.

Given the choice between a complete devastation of our "entire" Northwest salmon fishery or using SLICE? I chose SLICE!

The Chile collapse was/is being caused by a virus called “infectious salmon anemia (ISA)”. I did find this statement interesting, "The factory farm raised salmon from Chile are suffering the same inevitable fate as other unsustainable confinement raised animals dependent on antibiotics" and there is a link below from PEW to FDA addressing that. When I was reading about Chile, it bought back memories of Campbell River. Here are a couple of articles and links on Chilean salmon farming:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_salmon_anemia_virus
http://www.grist.org/article/2009-07-24-chilean-salmon-industry-plunges-pesticide-antibiotic-abyss/
http://www.byebyebeef.com/2009/07/salmon-cafos-collapse-chilean-salmon.html
http://www.pewtrusts.org/uploadedFi...s/Protecting_ocean_life/FDA_Letter_Salmon.pdf

SLICE is nothing more than "Emamectin Benzoate Pesticide", and is currently in use and being used here in the States, as we speak. It just has not received final FDA approval, but it has gone through just about every other Federal and State Governmental agency, for one reason or another. The FDA is currently doing its research.

This is a profile and Q&A concerning SLICE and the use with "Fish Farms":
http://www.spaquaculture.com/assets/fishfarm/SPAH FAQ,Final.pdf http://www.fws.gov/fisheries/aadap/misc/sliceEA.pdf

This will save you some time on your adventures! When I run across something I think is interesting I usually bookmark it. Here is a list of my bookmarks to various links on SLICE, have fun:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/treeage.cfm
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profile...amectin-benzoate/Emamectin-Benz_tol_1299.html
http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/203939.html
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profile...mamectin-benzoate/emamectin_benzoate_300.html
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/EM/emamectin_benzoate.html
http://www.fcla.edu/FlaEnt/fe80p425.pdf

I just know it is going to be brought up, "the main reason for the collapse was due to temperature increases in the sea surface and warmer currents"… AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT TRUE! However, I really do believe had SLICE been used, there would NOT have been a Fraser River Sockeye collapse to the extent it was!

I am neither pro nor con on "fish farms", but we do need to protect our salmon! That is what this is about!

First off, BC is not going to do away with "fish farms"! It is a growing industry and it will continue to grow and Canada DOES NOT want to lose its market share of the World or U.S. markets, especially with what just happened to Chile, in fact, they want an increase share!

Secondly, MHC has already stated "closed containment" is not going to happen at this time! I am quite sure everyone knows that! To include, the studies all ready done and that MHC just opened a project in China, due to cost and "lack of government interference"?

Thirdly, yes there is a lot of things that affect the wild salmon runs, both natural and manmade. We all know that. Some things we can change… some things we cannot! At this time... sea lice, we can!

Fourthly, United States has this really neat thing; it's called the "Freedom of Information Act"!

Let me give you a scenario? As a fish farmer and government wanting to increase U.S. market share, I see the largest supplier of salmon to the U.S. (Chile) suddenly infested with ISA. Chile is also under pressure for NOT COMPLYING with FDA requirements. Now, again we all know the U.S. is a MAJOR importer! The FDA is under pressure NOT to allow import of salmon NOT complying with FDA requirements The FDA advises, if you do not comply; you cannot import your product. Look at the time frame? 2006/2007 Chile infected with ISA, import opportunity to the U.S. increases (but again) FDA has not approved the use of SLICE, so if you use... you can't import to the U.S. Now, the only thing that prevents an increase market share of one of the largest markets in the world, is the use of SLICE? What would you do?

YEP! YOU GOT IT! YOU DON'T USE SLICE!

My opinion… It appears this was nothing more than a trade off - WILD SALMON vs. U.S. MARKET SHARE! And I also believe this is just flat out both criminal and gross negligence! "They" know, but are dancing around the issue, as there is not enough proof?

BTW... the first use of SLICE in the U.S. that I could find was in 1999. The first time used in a U.S. fish farm was in Maine in 2006?

Just my opinion! It might be worth 2 cents!

Fact: pacific salmon such as chinook and coho have been planted in the great lakes and survive quite well.
Why don't they move the fish farms there? The atlantic salmon should do as well. This would provide jobs for all those unemployed auto workers that the federal govt is providing billions to hopefully keep employed.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Great idea Gunner!

I can just see the reaction if Harper stuffed farmed Atlantics' up the Torontonian's arses!

Back