NEW Fishery Minister

capt hook

I,m SOOOOOO happy Le Blanc and his anti west attitude is gone.
I live in North Van and Wilkinson is my MP and i have written him many times on issues and NEVER get a reply....so who knows whats gonna happen.?
WHAT the WESTern Fishery needs is $$$$$$$ to be invested.
Its been lacking for decades. We should slam this guy ASAP with Western Demands !!!

Beat me to it.
Finally a West Coast Minister.
Too bad he is a liberal, or should I say a politician, but he should at least pretend to listen to local concerns.

I would like to APPEAL to all members on here to write individual letters of West Coast Fishery concerns to our new Minister.
Lets bombard this new Minister and show him by over whelming him with letters.
Just go to his web site and write and send a short email. It only will take you 5 minutes...then you can say you did. If you don,t , then don,t complain.
Squeaky wheels get the grease...and the east has been squeaky for tooooo dam long...
our turn now.

Don't ask him what the difference is between a geoduck and a Mallard.
This was the old set up question we asked new fisheries ministers back in the day.

Copy of e-mail sent

Jonathan Wilkinson

Good day sir,

First off I would like to congratulate you on your appointment to minister of fisheries.

British Columbia is fortunate to have a fishery that is both valuable and highly regarded.
In recent years it has been determined that Chinook salmon are steadily declining.
Fishermen up and down the coast have volunteered for decades in cleaning up habitat as well as
contributing to salmon rearing projects.
We would dearly love to see the government invest more time and money into
the rehabilitation of our rivers and streams in order to help the salmon return to healthy
numbers.

We firmly believe without this measure, simply closing fishing area's one by one
will do nothing to help the southern resident killer whales.

We want to be part of the solution not part of the problem.

Regards,

Last edited:
good as may seem. Do not forget that he is still under the party whip... and more changes supposed to be coming.
That said, educate him on our concerns..

Yep. And let’s not forget that the
First liberal fisheries minister after the election(can’t remember his name but he was First Nations) was a hard line pro salmon supporter and he was replaced due to a “substance abuse problem”. Yeah right. He wanted to make positive change and got **** canned for it. Same as this last one I’d bet. Started to feel the heat and question the validity of these closures and the “science” behind them. So best to just get rid of him. That’s my opinion anyways. Makes the most sense to me. At least whatever sense I can make out of this surprise cabinet shuffle.

Last edited:
yes...he is a bit of a oxy moron...
a Greenie twinge , but , he got behind the pipeline.
I do agree a pipeline is the best and safest way to transport any liquid , but its whats in the pipeline....lets refine it first, then sell it.
back to fish.....we need $$$$$$ on the west coast that goes into making fish not more lawyers and fake science.

Too bad he’s really a gapper from Saskatchewan with zero experience in the fishing field. I’m sure Mr Selfie thinks this will make us forget about all the other bs he is putting us thru

Last edited:
Selfie,s Grandpa would roll over in his grave if he knew how ignorantly he is treating and cheaping out on the west coast.
DFO Minister Gordon Sinclair

I would like to APPEAL to all members on here to write individual letters of West Coast Fishery concerns to our new Minister.
Lets bombard this new Minister and show him by over whelming him with letters.
Just go to his web site and write and send a short email. It only will take you 5 minutes...then you can say you did. If you don,t , then don,t complain.
Squeaky wheels get the grease...and the east has been squeaky for tooooo dam long...
our turn now.
I agree with you Capt Hook!

Here’s Jonathan Wilkinson office phone number if any forum members want to call or email raising your concerns about SKRW closure:

Jonathan Wilkinson

Jonathan.Wilkinson@parl.gc.ca

Yep. And let’s not forget that the
First liberal fisheries minister after the election(can’t remember his name but he was First Nations) was a hard line pro salmon supporter and he was replaced due to a “substance abuse problem”. Yeah right. He wanted to make positive change and got **** canned for it. Same as this last one I’d bet. Started to feel the heat and question the validity of these closures and the “science” behind them. So best to just get rid of him. That’s my opinion anyways. Makes the most sense to me. At least whatever sense I can make out of this surprise cabinet shuffle.
This I suspect is nothing more than a strategic maneuver to try and pacify the western hoard, what with the coming election .

I heard him on CBC just now - didn't really have a ton to say other than he trusts in science and scientific logic in his decision making.
Danced around a lot of questions...

Reactions: abl
Thought I’d try the friendly approach before it’s too late. Hope others send there thoughts as well:

Dear Honourable Minister Wilkinson,
I am extremely exited that the west coast has a fisheries minister from our own backyard. I am 30 years old, a professionally engineer, avid recreational fisherman, and believe I represent the demographic that won the liberals a majority government in B.C.

Recent fisheries management actions have reduced opportunities to go salmon fishing on the west coast and have had a negative economic impact to small business. Many of these actions seem to have been politically motivated, specifically in regard to Southern Resident Killer Whales. Finfish closures and Chinook salmon closures failed to address factors harming SRKWs and associated Chinook salmon abundance. Significant investments in salmon enhancement, hatcheries and habitat are required to increase prey availability for SRKWs, not further recreational fishing closures.

In addition, pollution from in adequate effluent treatment is severely impacting the reproductive health of the orcas. Over the long life killer whales bio-accumulate toxins in there muscle tissues and will not be healthy enough to re-populate unless underlying issues are addressed.

When I’m not fishing fishing I spend most of my time volunteering at salmon hatcheries, conducting stream walks and working on habitat restoration projects. Sport fishing provides unrivalled opportunity to educate people of all ages on the importance of salmon on the west coast. Sport fishing can be part of the solution, not the problem.

While I am not in support of the pipeline, a significant investment in salmon hatcheries would buy my vote and that of my friends and family. I encourage you to preserve Chinook salmon fishing opportunities and invest in habitat and salmon enhancement.

I wish you the best of luck with an challenging and rewarding portfolio and look forward to real change.

Thought I’d try the friendly approach before it’s too late. Hope others send there thoughts as well:

Dear Honourable Minister Wilkinson,
I am extremely exited that the west coast has a fisheries minister from our own backyard. I am 30 years old, a professionally engineer, avid recreational fisherman, and believe I represent the demographic that won the liberals a majority government in B.C.

Recent fisheries management actions have reduced opportunities to go salmon fishing on the west coast and have had a negative economic impact to small business. Many of these actions seem to have been politically motivated, specifically in regard to Southern Resident Killer Whales. Finfish closures and Chinook salmon closures failed to address factors harming SRKWs and associated Chinook salmon abundance. Significant investments in salmon enhancement, hatcheries and habitat are required to increase prey availability for SRKWs, not further recreational fishing closures.

In addition, pollution from in adequate effluent treatment is severely impacting the reproductive health of the orcas. Over the long life killer whales bio-accumulate toxins in there muscle tissues and will not be healthy enough to re-populate unless underlying issues are addressed.

When I’m not fishing fishing I spend most of my time volunteering at salmon hatcheries, conducting stream walks and working on habitat restoration projects. Sport fishing provides unrivalled opportunity to educate people of all ages on the importance of salmon on the west coast. Sport fishing can be part of the solution, not the problem.

While I am not in support of the pipeline, a significant investment in salmon hatcheries would buy my vote and that of my friends and family. I encourage you to preserve Chinook salmon fishing opportunities and invest in habitat and salmon enhancement.

I wish you the best of luck with an challenging and rewarding portfolio and look forward to real change.

Some good thoughts, I assume you fixed the spelling/grammar mistakes before you sent it, that is important in formal communications with a politician. The concept of "buying votes" has a very negative connotation, might want to delete that if it hasn't been sent yet.

Back