New chinook regs for early fraser river run!!!

sammyslabber

Subject: FN0380-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Fraser River Spring Chinook-Areas 18, 19, 20 and 29 - Recreational Fishery Management Actions

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0380-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Fraser River Spring Chinook-Areas 18, 19, 20 and 29 - Recreational Fishery Management Actions

Further to FN0128, the Department will be implementing a “chinook corridor”
containing additional management measures to protect Fraser River Spring and
Summer Chinook populations as they pass through the Strait of Juan de Fuca to
the Fraser River during June and early July. Details of these measures are
outlined below.

1. Subareas 19-1 to 19-4, and 20-5.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours June 15, 2012, the daily limit is two
(2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm
and 67 cm or hatchery marked only chinook over 67 cm in length.

2. Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5, and a portion of 29-4, and 29-5
that lies south from a point on the east side of Valdes Island located at
49.05.562N/123.39.989W then extending 57 degrees True for 5 nautical miles to a
point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours June 15, 2012 the daily limit is two
(2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67
cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

Note: Management measures to protect and conserve Fraser River Spring and
Summer 5-2 Chinook stocks of concern may also be required after June 15. An
update on these management measures will be announced in a subsequent fishery
notice.

Variation Orders: 2012-182 and 2012-184.

Notes:

1. Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
(Hatchery Marked)chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides
critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport
Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information. The location
of the Head Recovery Depots can be found at the following site:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/prize-prix-eng.htm

2. Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish
are hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase
the numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

3. Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

4. Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to
all fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational
fishing information, can be found on the Internet at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.htm

5. Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please
call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report
line at: (800) 465-4336.

6. For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at: (866)
431-FISH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the local DFO office in your area for further information.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0380
Sent May 3, 2012 at 14:06
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

As far as i see area 19/20 remains the same, but area 18 & east gets cut back to only
one over per day.
I expect further restrictions effective June 15.

AND yet there is a commercial opening right now of the west coast but we all know that those fish FLY over that area!!!! and only land in area 19/20!!!!

these guys are asses !!!!!!

I read that as 2 hatchery or wild over 62cm right in front of the river?

Fraser... The sub areas (29-4,29-5) in this FN notice are on this side of the strait

AND yet there is a commercial opening right now of the west coast but we all know that those fish FLY over that area!!!! and only land in area 19/20!!!!

these guys are asses !!!!!!
Yep....The Commercial Troll Fishermen have already taken over 10,000 pieces and will take over 40,000 more...They are fishing them RIGHT NOW while we have Chinook restrictions...no way of knowing how many Fraser or Cowichan River fish are among them. The Commercial Fishermen claim the head tags turned in indicate they are American Fish being caught...so why don’t they release all the wild ones like we do?? (ya right...joke)
Even DFO in their own statement have said they are concerned about the endangered Fraser River Chinook that are passing the area!
We have members of this site that support this Commercial Opening...one of them is out fishing these Chinook commercially right now, so he says.
We all see things in a way that suit our own self interests..he sees no problem with this Commercial Opening....maybe he right...like Grant Warkentin, Communications Officer with Mainstream Canada Aquaculture who says in his letter in today’s Comment page of the TC “There is no evidence that viruses from farm raised salmon are harming wild salmon” he goes on to say “This is speculation with no basis in science”.

Ayup.Thats why we havent heard from him in awhile.Out there right now filling the boat.Sportsman my arse.

Ayup.Thats why we havent heard from him in awhile.Out there right now filling the boat.Sportsman my arse.

Seriously?? :rolleyes:

Osama is out working it too. Is he a sporstman my arse kinda guy too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know Osama. But i do know from what ive read posted on this site and others.How can one claim to be a steward of the resource yet commie fish an endangered run of fish? I think that is a serious conflict of interest. I personally despise commie fishing as being the destruction of a resource that belongs to everyone,not a select few who profit from it.We the sportsman always come last,that has to end.

Sportsfisherman want Natives, Commies and Aquaculture shutdown to protect wild salmon....... Rarely do sportsfisherman see themselves as part of the problem which i think is the problem. They can't realistically close all sectors and leave everything to sports fisherman. Commies have faced the same tighter restrictions in recent times.

Wolf who are asses? The commies going out in their boats trying to make a living and catching maybe 3 hundred pieces? Thats no a whole lot different than being a charter boat and catching 200 springs a year....

here we go again with the ignorance...

No. We don't need it..

Dont know Osama. But i do know from what ive read posted on this site and others.How can one claim to be a steward of the resource yet commie fish an endangered run of fish? I think that is a serious conflict of interest. I personally despise commie fishing as being the destruction of a resource that belongs to everyone,not a select few who profit from it.We the sportsman always come last,that has to end.

Its like politics Dennis.. If there was one commercial fishery that needed to succeed and support the chain that is already in place...

I would support the trollers.

DFO they are the asses kelly !!!!!!!!!!get of your high horse quite apperant you dont know about the numbers and perctages do you????!!!!!if you think 1 boat is only going out for 300 pieces why would he cmon man!!!!! thats reaqlly not worth it can you ever hear what your saying???? simple if you dont like it how about you stop fishing then ok!!!! when we take people out WE are a means for them to go fishing no diffiernt than you taking out your buds and having fun whooping it up. when you BUY a fishing licence what does it matter how you go as long as your out fishing.

SO your mentality thinking do you want peddar bay who has a flett of over 20 rental boats do you want them to shut down too???? as those boats take a lot of fish too as that a "do it yourself" thing carefull how you answer.....

WHAT i dont like is they have left it open for more uncertainty???? they are screwing with many many livlyhoods NOT just charter fishing it trickles down to everything hotels,marinas,flights,car rentals,grocery stores etc etc etc this is bad !!!

here we go again with the ignorance...
ome facts to ponder....this is the opening for Chinook exactly as announced by DFO
Fact #1

“Troll opens 00:01 hours Tuesday May 01 until further notice in Areas 124 to

The target species is chinook, incidental catch of chum and pink may be
retained. Coho, sockeye and steelhead may not be retained. The minimum size
limit for chinook is 55 cm fork length (head on), and 44 cm (head off).

Variation Order No. 2012-G-TR-WCVI-004

There was an Area G troll April fishery opening from April 19 until April 24.
The total estimated chinook catch during this opening was 10,600. The total
boat days for the opening was 267.

The fishery management strategy for the Area G troll May fishing period will
include a maximum catch ceiling and monthly boat day limits. Total effort in
the May fishery will be limited to 1000 boat days as a measure to limit impact on Fraser chinook stocks of concern. If possible, advanced notification of closure will be provided. The fishery will close for 3 days then reopen for a period dependent on the remaining TAC.”
Fact #2
This opening is directly in the migratory path taken by the endangered Fraser River Chinook AND a similarly endangered but not yet being singled out, Cowichan River Chinook
Fact #3
In order to protect the same Chinook being targeted by the Commercial Troll Fleet, Sports Fishermen have and will continue to be severely restricted in their Chinook retention. AND are threatened with even greater restrictions if when in June these same Chinook can be more accurately monitored and prove to be returning is dangerously low numbers.
Fact #4
In the Fraser River Chinook returns in June are dangerously low, the Sports Fishermen have been told to expect severe restrictions, which could possibly include a complete closure.
Fact #5
The most popular Fishing Derby on Southern Vancouver Island has been cancelled because of the actions of DFO.
Fact # 6
Over 50,000 Chinook will be taken in the Commercial Chinook Opening. Tags turned in indicate a high number of American Chinook included in the run.
Please tell me how many tagged fish are coming from the Fraser Chinook run. (good luck with that one)
Fact #7
The Chinook Salmon harvest priorities set by DFO and the Government of Canada are 1st Conservation, 2nd Native, 3rd Sport, 4th Commercial.
I could go on, but will wait until “Degree of Freedom” enlightens this ignorant sports fisherman.

Not questioning any of your facts...

It is ignorant to point fingers at individuals on this forum for how they make a living. If you were a commercial troller, and DFO gave you an opening, would you choose to stay at home to protect salmon stocks? Go ahead and bash DFO all you want, but don't judge the people out there working to earn a few bucks.

It is ignorant to point fingers at individuals on this forum for how they make a living. If you were a commercial troller, and DFO gave you an opening, would you choose to stay at home to protect salmon stocks? Go ahead and bash DFO all you want, but don't judge the people out there working to earn a few bucks.

I think if you read my previous posts on this subject, you will see I am not attacking the individuals who take part in the Commercial Troll Fishery. I agree, if I were a Commercial Fisherman, I would participate...just like the seiners did back when the Chinook stocks were healthy and when they vertually wipped out many runs of Chinook. (like the Nahmint River run in the Alberni Canal for one example)
My point is our Government announced the management prorities in the Chinook Fishery; Conservation, Native, Sports and Commercial at the bottom of the priority list! I don's see that this Commercial Chinook Fishery to take over 50,000 pieces meets that management priority!
Lets face it, we all going to suffer if DFO continue on the track they are presently on managing our fish stocks!!!!!!
This is just one very small part of a much bigger problem...and on and on it goes....it is hard to optimistic about the future of our salmon stalks.

I think if you read my previous posts on this subject, you will see I am not attacking the individuals who take part in the Commercial Troll Fishery. I agree, if I were a Commercial Fisherman, I would participate...just like the seiners did back when the Chinook stocks were healthy and when they vertually wipped out many runs of Chinook. (like the Nahmint River run in the Alberni Canal for one example)
My point is our Government announced the management prorities in the Chinook Fishery; Conservation, Native, Sports and Commercial at the bottom of the priority list! I don's see that this Commercial Chinook Fishery to take over 50,000 pieces meets that management priority!
Lets face it, we all going to suffer if DFO continue on the track they are presently on managing our fish stocks!!!!!!
This is just one very small part of a much bigger problem...and on and on it goes....it is hard to optimistic about the future of our salmon stalks.

Agree 100%, how can these bureaucratic a-holes allow a commercial opening when other groups are facing impending closures ?
It makes no sense. :confused::(

x2

Focus on DFO!

Back