New Candied Salmon Recipe

IronNoggin

Always experimenting it seems.
So, even though I have several tried & true methods for candy, I decided to experiment yet again.

Brine:
8 - 10 liters White Cranberry Juice
1.5 cups coarse salt
3 bags Demerra Sugar
1 full bottle Roasted Garlic & Red Pepper Spice
1 Liter Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce.

Simple. Brined to 48 hours, dried for 8, then slow smoked for 12 hours (low heat).

Results:
Marvelous candy flavour with a distinctly tangy after-taste.
A new WINNER! :Oh Yeah!:

Candied.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Hey Nog, just wondering what the brand name was on the Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Spice was. Also how many pounds of salmon is this brine for?

Sounds awesome.

Oly

Hey Nog, just wondering what the brand name was on the Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Spice was. Also how many pounds of salmon is this brine for?

Club House brand on the spice.
Brine was sufficient for 18 whole sides.
Salmon were 9 pound average (gutted & gilled) prior to filleting.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Nog

Club House brand on the spice.
Brine was sufficient for 18 whole sides.
Salmon were 9 pound average (gutted & gilled) prior to filleting.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Nog

Helps a lot. Thanks for that. Sometimes it's hard to find the exact items used and this can change the flavour if the end product.

Who do you get to fillet your salmon. Looks like they may have done it a time or two.;):p

Oly

Hey Nog!! Sounds awesome. Just wondering. Are you doing small strips with this. Never did candied salmon befor but would love to try.. Cheers

Al

GUYS, help me out here, I don't want to screw this up, it looks so good. To rinse or not to rinse, that is the question??

GUYS, help me out here, I don't want to screw this up, it looks so good. To rinse or not to rinse, that is the question??

I do NOT rinse the Candy Recipes before drying. Helps form the patina.
Conversely I always rinse when going with a standard hot smoked recipe.

This one is Candy. Leave the sweet stuff on it & dry.

Cheers,
Nog

Back