Net holder options?

ExFlyGuy

On my last boat I had double rod holders on each side of the pilot house. One side had the gaff and boat hook and the other side had the net. It worked well and I may go back to that again but was wondering what you guys are doing?

On my last boat I had double rod holders on each side of the pilot house. One side had the gaff and boat hook and the other side had the net. It worked well and I may go back to that again but was wondering what you guys are doing?
Not standing upright please

I’m doing a similar thing but it may only be a single holder on each side. Definitely going to be mounted on the side on the cabin.

I was just watching big coast and it looked like they had a hook on the side of the boat that held the net hoop. Any body have one of those?

Most kingfishers have that. Mine did and I beleive it is a seadog product. Works good except the net banging against the hull if it isn't in the perfect position for your net and if you buy a net and the hoop piping is to big it won't fit.

So what I’ve done is copy Salt Boss’s design in Seattle. My net lays horizontally outside along my walk around cuddy up against the side bow railing. No net flying in the air flapping around which to me is similar to flashers on rods in rocket launchers. I mounted a Scotty Orca rod holder on the rail where the end of the net handle snaps in. At the other end I mounted a custom designed piece of stainless tube that catches the net ring and keeps the net stable when under power. It’s out of the way, locked down but still accessible in a couple of seconds. I’ve still got space to walk around cuddy. Boats in storage or I’d post a pix.

Bumpers not stowed outside a marina/dock, reminds me of training wheels.
They are prepared to crash into anything!

Went out fishing with my dad over the holidays and forgot the net, playing the fish close to look to see if we would gaff release or gaff was very cool.
Gaffing is not for the timid, commit hard and get that fish aboard in one swing.

Dream catcher! Ha!

Why spend money and drill holes? In my 18 foot Hourston hardtop, not a big boat, my huge Scotty collapsible net rides unobtrusively between the port side seat and gunwale. When I start trolling, the handle gets extended and it rides flat on the roof ready for action. If your pilot house roof is flat and not too high, it’s a great way to go.

It’s one of my pet peeves. Looks like there’s a fish on. I hide my net as much as possible or I get crowded off my tack. That’s why some guides just gaff their fish, more stealthy

As bad as leaving your bumpers bouncing off the side of your boat while you’re running. Amateur hour
haha i look for the signal the net high and swaying, i think that guy has a fish on nope, sure gets me going tho seeing
the nets in the air, or the guy that just caught one will wave it like a flag, ok maybe i've done that once or twice when fishings was
slow :) .

Last edited:
Bumpers not stowed outside a marina/dock, reminds me of training wheels.
They are prepared to crash into anything!

Went out fishing with my dad over the holidays and forgot the net, playing the fish close to look to see if we would gaff release or gaff was very cool.
Gaffing is not for the timid, commit hard and get that fish aboard in one swing.

Dream catcher! Ha!
I whack them right above the eyes with the back side of the hook to stun them and then they are easy. A good time to practise is when they are really biting because you know you'll have more chances if you chowder it.

My net handle is clipped near the cockpit using a rubber ladder strap.
The hoop end rests on a U hook along the cabin.
This all works perfectly - but make sure the mesh of the net doesn't dangle in the water or on plane you'll bend the hoop when spray reaches up and grabs it.
And yes, the gaff is right there too!

This took a while. Anyway, found a photo of my net holder. You’ll have to look close or enlarge. The Orca sits at the last stainless railing upright by the rear deck for quick easy release. The stainless ‘J” tubing I had custom made to hold the front of the net is attached to the 3rd upright. It locks in with the Orca at the handle end and under power/or in rough water the “J” tubing stops the net end from moving back or bouncing up and down. Still room to walk around the deck and the nets out of the way. Trust me I worked on this for 3 years to find the best solution. Thank you Salt Boss in Seattle......who I’m not sure is in business any more.

IMG_0166.PNG

Back