Needle fish jumping...

ILHG

Crew Member
I know this may be a dumb question to some but I honestly don't know the answer...

When I see needle fish (sandlance) jumping out of the water on surface is it from predators pushing them up, or is it something they do? Last year when looking off the dock at Hippa Lodge I seen areas just off the dock where small bait fish (im thinking needle fish) would start darting & jumping out of the water. It was in isolated spots and would move around. I never seen any fish smashing the surface feeding so I don't know if that salmon pushing them to surface?

I did see lots of squid around the quite spots of the dock. Maybe its the squid chasing them?

thankful for feedback.

Don't know about squid chasing bait fish, But I have seen sea bass and salmon chase them out of the water.

likely predators - rockfish or something. does it look like a ripple in one area?

likely predators - rockfish or something. does it look like a ripple in one area?

Not so much a ripple. Just small patches of bait fishing jumping.. Which I guess makes a ripple...

It could be squid chasing them, squid are voracious predators. I'd guess herring and anchovy are better solo jumpers but without capturing the fish, very hard to say for sure.

Back