Need the Albacore Sport fishermen help

Derby

Crew Member
Hi Guys.. As your SFAB- tuna rep I have a request.. we need your tuna numbers from the 2019 season.. The SFAB is attempting to more accurately describe our Tuna fishery within the integrates Fisheries management Plan (IFMP) Also, that it is important for us to properly establish the scope of our fishery as we need catch and effort data to demonstrate the social and economic value this emerging fishery brings to Canada as we negotiate International Tuna Fishery agreements in the future. This is why your catch data is critical – without it we will have difficulty accurately expressing Canada’s interests in the Tuna Fishery and developing International Agreements that also protect the Public Fisheries interests.

If you are a guide and have included them in your log books you need not reply for those that have not.. can u pm me your name and email address and i'll send you a log book page… if u can fill it out for each day fished with your daily numbers even if you caught or didn’t catch anything it would go a long way for us to start to get a handle on fish caught in the sport fishery

Cheers Deryk

I have gotten 1 reply so far.. must be more folks then 1 person that fished tuna this year! how many people from this forum fished the bamfield tuna shoot out? The data wasn't collect this year for that event this year but will have it in place for 2020.. Need to start to collect your data or one day this will end up just like Halibut not a fair share of a Canadian allocation..

I would advise everyone who fished Tuna to make your catch numbers avalible to Derby. I sat as a commercial halibut representative back in the day of the 88/12 split, as I remember the Sport fishing rep at the time had no idea or wouldn't share the sports catch but did say that 12% was plenty for the sports fleet at the time. Well everyone knows how that turned out. Share your Tuna numbers now, trust me

I would advise everyone who fished Tuna to make your catch numbers avalible to Derby. I sat as a commercial halibut representative back in the day of the 88/12 split, as I remember the Sport fishing rep at the time had no idea or wouldn't share the sports catch but did say that 12% was plenty for the sports fleet at the time. Well everyone knows how that turned out. Share your Tuna numbers now, trust me

So say you get 50 responses with catch data...Can you explain how that is useful data?

Please don't take this the wrong way, just wondering how you extrapolate this data into anything meaningful.

Public Fishery participation in the tuna fishery has been increasing in effort and interest as the fleet develops experience and equipment necessary to participate. We were asked to address changes to the tuna fishery in the IFMP (Integrated Fisheries Management Plan) some time ago to improve upon the one sentence description currently within the IFMP describing the Public Fishery. The SFAB previously undertook development of Catch Handling Guidelines, and Vessel Safety Guidelines to help improve the Public Tuna Fishery. These new Guidelines were never included in the IFMP, and time has come to update and modernize it from a Public Fishery perspective. From the SFAB, Ground Fish, Shell Fish Working Group perspective, we asked the Tuna Committee to undertake a review and improvement of the IFMP for Tuna. IFMP's are important from the perspective that they set the stage for describing how a particular fishery will be managed, providing that framework.

One of our challenges in this effort is the way our fishery takes place. Most fishers do not land catch at times where there are creel surveyor's working given the long travel times and late returns to the docks. So our catch isn't being recorded as effectively as we need given the smaller sample size and that creel surveyor's are usually not working when the catch is landed.

Catch estimates can be derived if we can obtain quality catch data - so every tuna fishing trip log entry matters, especially if we can obtain a statistically valid sample size which can be used to determine the CPUE (Catch Per Unit Effort). As suggested, that data is useful in improving describing Public Fishery catch/effort when determining future management measures for the fishery.

We would be extremely grateful for any tuna trip data to help us build a more robust assessment of the catch and effort for 2019 season. Even if you only fished once, that is really critically important information. Thank you.

You can ask that question to either Chris as he is the co chairs for 19/20 or Ryan who is the chair your SFAC or just send them a email they will be able to ask the right person for that.. ..

Last edited:
While I appreciate the work you guys do, I think there is an intense distrust in the whole process now, justified or not.

Usually its DFO that gathers the data and SFAB go thru it.. This is a case where the tuna guys leave super early and come back much later then dock side surveyors can get the info...So we are trying to set a system up to be able to get this data.. I 'm happy to report that we have been able to capture some tuna numbers in the log book program which is a great start..:)

Last edited:
Back