Need some help with new motors

Osprey16

just got myself a new boat on the weekend having some trouble with getting the 2004 Yamaha 9.9 going just wondering if someone would be interested in coming over and give a hand trying to get it going!! Will pay for some help

Boat is located in south Nanaimo

Is it electric start or pull start. Do you have the safety cable hooked up. If that’s all good, I am suspecting a gummed up carb is s probably the problem. Sorry dont live anywhere close yet, but would come and help if I was.

Oly

Don't live near you but here are some easy tasks to help determine your problem.

Check for spark: Remove spark plug, reinstall lead and with a pair of insulate pliers hold the spark plug so that the threads are touching the head while trying to start engine. Spark should jump spark plug gap.

Check for fuel at carburetor: Remove drain plug at bottom of fuel bowl, Pump primer bulb, fuel should flow from drain with each squeeze of primer bulb.

as said above make sure the lanyard is connected.
x 2 - just spent hours trying to resolve this issue - at least the motor has been prepped for the season (new plugs, filters, etc). Still wouldn't run then realized that the lanyard on the box had been removed for the winter -duh :)

If it ran well last year, its for sure the carb. Make sure you put stabilizer before storage. Make sure you have fuel going into it though, there is a small screw on the side of the float bowl casing, remove it and see if it pees any gas. if not, your problem is upstream but if it does, then pull the carb off, its pretty easy, two bolts hold it on, then remove the throttle and the choke link and the rubber hose for fuel. then take the two phillips screws that hold the bowl cover on and gently remove it. check the main jet and the needle for the float, but in all likelihood, the thing that is plugged is your pilot since it is a rediculously small hole and it gets plugged from looking at it the wrong way. I cant speak for the 9.9 (i have the T8) but its usually under a brass nozzle that has a slot in it . BE VERY CAREFUL removing the pilot, it is super easy to break the slot and then you are in for a world of hurt and a $50 part (dont ask me how i know!) Heat it a little if its not coming off. Put it all into carb cleaner and let it sit a while. That is very likely your problem.

I just did pulled my carb out again yesterday. I really encourage everyone to learn how to do it yourself. I have had it happen when I am in middle of nowhere and if you have the proper tools its quick job. Those inlet jets are ridiculously small. I had some crap in the carb.

Back