Need longer Lowrance cables

bigdogg1

I am forward planning some winter projects. I am in the fortunate position of having bought a boat with 2 sounder units (a HDS 12 and and HDS 7). The 12 was set nicely in the helm's dash but the 7 was set right on top of the dash, partially blocking the direct view out the windshield.

Moving the protective cover around last night, I believe that I can move it into the storage cabinet above the windshield (typically holds VHF and the like). I estimate that I need to extend each of the cables to the unit by ~ 8 feet.

Looking on line, I have found a transducer extension of 12' for ~ $100. Extrapolate this to a $400 bill with excess cabling to bundle, I wonder if there is a way to buy cables by the foot? Has anyone tried this in the past? I will give Lowrance and HC a direct call but thought that I would put it out here as well.

Thanks in advance.

as an example, I have an 8 in my dash, the transducer would hook to it, then if just one more item eg, hds7 was added all that would be needed is an ethernet cable attaching both units to share the transducer. A nmea 2000 backbone could also be added , attaching both units again through the nmea port to share waypoints and maps.

Thanks! That is a great help. One of the challenges with someone else's workmanship, especially wiring of any sort, is to discover what belongs to what etc. Right now, there are 4 cables to each unit and the smaller one reads as if it is the 12. There are also, from what I can tell, 2 or 3 transducers hanging off the back. Likely a larger winter project tracing the cables back and forth but I really like the idea of joining the 2 units with simply an ethernet cable. That would really allow the 7 to move freely, with only a small change to the the power cord necessary.

increase your budget
or you may get lucky by asking around
networking and N2K all start to get pricey and No cables are by the foot and other than N2k custom made
navico's ethernet yellow ends are rip off as well as some of the N2k cables....
std lengths are 6' or 8' 15' and up think the nema starter is now over a $100 from HC ...
my little system....lol
252.jpg

234.jpg

Back