Need help identifying fish

AkidfromCanada

Hey guys I'm new to fishing and caught these guys out of Wood lake and Kal lake in the Okanagan. I googled the types of fish species in the lakes and it looks the most similar to cut throat trout to me but then again it doesnt. Could someone help me out.

20200502_120655.jpg 20200502_120702.jpg 20200502_120702.jpg

Thanks for all the replys, these are the only things I've been catching out of my kayak. There sure are alot of them in these lakes.

Get out in front of the house with the float planes and jig a 2 inch buzz bomb or 1 oz Gibbs minnow straight up and down. Don't cast, just drop and drift and jig. You could put a piece of corn on the hook. 100 feet of water, 20-30 feet down now and deeper later into summer. Easier if you have a sounder to find the fish and depth.

Up until last year a few anglers were being paid to catch them from Cultus Lake. I believe the program, funded by a long past special commercial fishery, has run out of money.

And believe it or not-- they are not bad eating . I have had fish cakes made from NPMs by a FN lady up on the S.Thompson and there was nothing wrong with them. The trick is getting the bones out. My biggest out of the S. T. was around 9 lbs.

I've had them as well but it was a long long time ago. Best I remember the flesh was white and very mild.

I have also caught PMs on dry flies! Once on Crawford Bay Kootenay Lake I fished a mayfly hatch. I thought they were trout rising but they were Pms up to a considerable size. Fish I have caught in the Harrison fight fairly well when the water is cold.

Last edited:
Back