Need a new fuel tank

gungadin

Well, my fishing partners fuel tank has developed a leak over winter. Time for a replacement. I will pull the tank next week after he drops the boat off. Are there any recommendations as to can can build a quality aluminium tank. We both live in the Campbell River area, but anywhere on the island will be fine.

You have many good welders and fabricators in the Campbell River area. You could start with Daigle Marine.

Went through a tank replacement a few years back and ended up with a whole new fuel supply system along with it. It was not just the tank cost but all the other parts and they are not cheap, many high end marine clamps, bronze cut off valves etc.

There are at least 3 good Al fabricators in the Sooke area that make tanks, pods, radar arches etc.

We went with Jenkins Marine, a small shipyard on the Sooke basin because they were big enough operation that they could do it immediately and quickly and we were pleased with the work. They may have been a little bit more in cost than one of the others but the others were booked up for months at that time of year. There is a shop down below the gas station before Sunny Shores with good references but he was very busy.

https://www.jenkinsmarine.com/

I documented our fuel tank and supply system replacement when we did it a few years ago.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/al-fuel-tank-replacement.65975/

Last edited:
have you considered a plastic tank ? lots of shapes and sizes and they have proven to be as durable as aluminum and are cheaper , lighter , and easy to install.

https://www.goindustrial.ca/index.p...tics/tanks/marine-permanent-fuel-tanks-detail

When we needed a tank I explored that option and in our case it was not workable. A 80 US gal. plastic tank that was the correct shape to fit with a hull forming beveled bottom etc. and having the fittings in the correct locations for things like the vent outlet was just not available. Perhaps there may have been options to have a plastic tank custom built but that would have been costly and take considerable more time than the AL tank. The plumbing for the vent and supply filler hose could not be moved as they went into and through various sealed compartments in the compartmentalized designed bilge area and hull strengthening structures that support the boats hull strength.

Having the Al tank cloned was by far the fastest (did not want to miss the season) easiest and perhaps cheapest option overall for us. The fact that an Al tank was heavier than plastic was actually an advantage as that weight is right down and along the boats keel line which helps offsets the boats heavy superstructure and helps maintains the boats stability as was intended by the builder and also allowed for the needed internal tank baffle system given its long and low design.
There are boats that a plastic built in under deck tank may be workable but that was not the case for us. The one thing I would have really liked about the plastic tank option is their resistance to corrosion and pin hole leaks over time.

Last edited:
Back