Navionics subscription expired, features deactivated.

Olde School

We had the boat out in a new area yesterday.
I have an HDS Carbon MFD.
As soon as I tried to overlay Sonarcharts, I got a message on the screen saying I couldn't use that feature any longer because my Navionics subscription had expired a month ago. I would have expected no more updates when a subscription expired, but not for a feature to be taken away.
Interestingly, my cell which has the Navionics App was happily overlaying sonarchart images on its screen - and the data source was my HDS Carbon!!!
My best guess is the MFD is collecting the data and sending that over the boat's wifi to my cell.

At home I checked out the subscriptions. It turns out my Navionics app expires in another month and the renewal for that is $21.99. However, the renewal for the MFD is (on sale) for $99.99! A hundred bucks! It will be another annual cost! Pretty sure I didn't pay this a year ago. Maybe they gave me a year free?

Have you been through this? What did you do?

Last edited:
I have an HdS Carbon MFD.
As soon as I tried to overlay Sonarcharts, I got a message on the screen saying I couldn't use that feature any longer because my Navionics subscription had expired a month ago. I would have expected no more updates hen a subscription expired, but not for a feature to be taken away.
Interestingly, my cell which has the Navionics App was happily overlaying sonarchart images on its screen - and the data source was my HDS Carbon!!!
My best guess is the MFD is collecting the data sending that and over the boat's wifi to my cell.

So now at home I checked out the subscriptions. It turns out my Navionics app expires in another month and the renewal for that is $21.99. However, the renewal for the MFD is (on sale) for $99.99! A hundred bucks! It will be another annual cost! Pretty sure I didn't pay this a year ago. Maybe they gave me a year free?

Pay up lol

i got reasonably annoyed at the cost that i bought a 10 inch tablet instead and do all my charts on that.
simbans tangotab. works excellent.

I have an HDS Carbon MFD.
As soon as I tried to overlay Sonarcharts, I got a message on the screen saying I couldn't use that feature any longer because my Navionics subscription had expired a month ago. I would have expected no more updates when a subscription expired, but not for a feature to be taken away.
My best guess is the MFD is collecting the data and sending that over the boat's wifi to my cell.

At home I checked out the subscriptions. It turns out my Navionics app expires in another month and the renewal for that is $21.99. However, the renewal for the MFD is (on sale) for $99.99! A hundred bucks! It will be another annual cost! Pretty sure I didn't pay this a year ago. Maybe they gave me a year free?

Sorry just seeing this but you are correct that the card has to be active to utilize the advanced map features. Each card comes with a year free when you buy it.

After that, the map data and contours will remain the same, they just won't be able to be updated until subscription is renewed.

Sorry just seeing this but you are correct that the card has to be active to utilize the advanced map features. Each card comes with a year free when you buy it.

After that, the map data and contours will remain the same, they just won't be able to be updated until subscription is renewed.

Do your custom made charts disappear?

Please. I dont mind it being a subscription service.. well I do but... I'd be upset to no longer have access to something that I had made.
Lol, once they are downloaded on to your chip they stay on there, once the pay to play feeis expired you cant record and download anymore or get live maps. I uploaded almost all my tack for a year picking up lots of structure not on the preloaded chip, as i almost fish the same area year after year i got what i wanted out of it, if i want more i will have to buck up 100$ to get access again

Back