Navionics on Android or Ipad

Resinrider

Hey guys.I'm looking for some input on the Navionics app. Looking for info on which platform will work the best, Android or Ipad?. Both my Nexus 7 and Ipad air are WiFi only models, so no data connection. I just did a test with both tablets. Went for a drive arounLd town, both tablets tracked my location OK with no data connection, but the Nexus followed the location exactly while the Ipad would stall in one spot ,then jump ahead to catch up. Seemed to refresh every 5 seconds or so while the Nexus was more fluid. I do not have any external Bluetooth GPS devices to hook to the tablets. Does anyone have any experience with both platforms? Im not even sure if they will even work accurately out on the water without an external GPS??
Thanks

You have to have an iPad with Cellular to get the built in GPS (you don't have to subscribe to a data plan, though). I believe GPS comes with the later versions of Android even without cellular. You're iPad was probably picking up unsecured wifi hot spots as you were driving around.

I use Navionics on my Ipad. Apple combines the GPS chip and cellular chip. I didn't know this when I bought my Ipad and since I didn't pay this "Apple tax" and buy an Ipad with cellular I had to buy a Garmin Glo GPS to bluetooth to it. It works great out on the water. I believe the Nexus has a built in GPS so no need to spend an extra $100 for the GLO.

If you have a data plan on your phone, just wifi connect the iPad to the phone. Make the phone a mobile hotspot. My Samsung Galaxy has it in the settings. Other networks.

Thanks guys. thanks for the input. I think I will go with using the Nexus to save on having to get an external GPS for the Ipad. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Just a FYI. I use my Navionics on both my wifi only iPad in a life proof case and have used it on my iPhone 5 with no issues at all on both devices. I have used it on multiple trips to Nootka where you get no cell service at all. I know for myself that I have nothing but great success with Navionics on my iPad and find it both informative and great tool to use.

FYI
I use an Ipad/Navionics, with a Garmin Glo. The Glo uses American and Russian satellites and it's much faster than the receivers built in to any tablet. That being said, this is Strictly for backup! I would never go out without a real chart plotter/fish finder.
Stosh

Tablets

FYI
I use an Ipad/Navionics, with a Garmin Glo. The Glo uses American and Russian satellites and it's much faster than the receivers built in to any tablet. That being said, this is Strictly for backup! I would never go out without a real chart plotter/fish finder/radar unit.
Stosh

I just wanted this so I dont have to flip back and forth on the Plotter / Sounder screen. Its only a 5" Lowrance , so the split screen is too small.
Tried it out on a 7" Nexus tablet today , and it worked fantastic! Much better detail on the Navionics Sonar screen than my chartplotter has, and no need to flip from screen to screen to see whats ahead.

I've been using it on my note 3 for over a year and just put it on my Samsung tab for the same reason as you, small plotter/sounder.

You will spend more money on the case and proprietary cables for the ipad to have it wired into your system on your boat than you will for a cheap 7" android tablet that will run the app just fine. Apple makes good stuff but personally I would not take a $400+ ipad anywhere close to salt air. $100 android tablet that has built in GPS will work great in most cases and if the salt air eats it buy another four and you are still ahead. Keep your ipad at home, close to your wallet for safe keeping ;)

Back