Navionics boating app problem

Ground Tackle

The other weekend I went to use the Navionics boating app on my tablet, we were out where there was no wifi access and were running on just gps. I renewed the subscription for the year in July, and all of a sudden it came up saying my free trial was over and to subscribe - I was not impressed as I was subscribed. When I got home and had wifi access, opened the app up again it then came up saying I was required now to log in. So, logged in and then everything came up correctly. I was thinking how can I use this app now if I require wifi to sign in to access - its useless out on the water where all I have is gps when I turn the tablet on and want to access the charts. I sent an email to Navionics help asking for clarification on how the product is now going to work when only running on gps. Before I just opened the app and up came the charts. I sent that email 2 weeks ago and I got one reply from them the day I sent the email stating they have forwarded my concerns and someone will be in touch. I just resent a follow up email now asking what is taking so long for a reply to this. We have the chartplotter a Lowrance unit on the boat but I also like to use the charts on the tablet. So, am I missing something here with the new log in to be able to access on the water - what are you guys doing?

Hmm.... Just turned my airplane mode off and tried the app seems to be working for me.
I did get an email in September stating my app version will be phasing out. I had to get the the new app and transfer my data over. Maybe you have a that email in your junk box?

Think something similar happened to me with it years ago. maybe it was just a one time thing near subscription time?
I always open mine day before fishing, zoom in on places I might visit to make sure I have the charts downloaded, and generally just make sure it’s updated and ready to go.

I just got a reply from Navionics saying that there was an issue with the app and it has now been resolved and the next time I use it with just gps it should work correctly or notify them immediately. I will find out this weekend. I don't use this as my only chartplotter but makes me a bit nervous to count on it and I certainly now will never, this happened when we were in foggy conditions off of Sooke and I wanted both the tablet running as well as the Lowrance system.

I just got a reply from Navionics saying that there was an issue with the app and it has now been resolved and the next time I use it with just gps it should work correctly or notify them immediately.
Thanks VERY much. I am sure the bean counters are happy. I was considering this app, but will now just use the iPad to mirror my REAL devices. As far as I know the app doesn't have a MOB function which for me is mandatory. Back in the 60's my Dad's shipyard built crab boats & they bragged about the triple redundant electronics.

I just got a reply from Navionics saying that there was an issue with the app and it has now been resolved and the next time I use it with just gps it should work correctly or notify them immediately. I will find out this weekend. I don't use this as my only chartplotter but makes me a bit nervous to count on it and I certainly now will never, this happened when we were in foggy conditions off of Sooke and I wanted both the tablet running as well as the Lowrance system.
You can test by switching your device to the Aeroplan mode and then trying to check the downloaded charts offline. Has always worked on my tablet so far.

Glad you got it figured out. Also big rock is correct in that the old app was phased out. Below is the entire info from the Navionics site.

Switch to the new app. Bring your charts and data with you.

In 2018, we discontinued some of our apps (read the blog post) and will remove them permanently from the Apple App Store™ soon on Sept. 30, 2020. If you own a discontinued app, you can easily move to the new Boating Marine and Lakes.

Switch to the new app before Sept. 30th to keep your charts, your data, settings, and any remaining subscription days. In the new app, you will have access to great new features, like SonarChart Shading overlay, relief shading overlay, AIS, Active Captain Community and GPX Import/Export.

Due to the obsolete nature of the discontinued Apple apps, we can’t guarantee that your app will work properly after Sept. 30th, and it may not be possible to move your charts and data to the new app.

HOW TO MOVE TO THE NEW APP

1. Update your discontinued app to the latest version
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store > Account > Available Updates

2. Before starting the transfer process, sync your purchases following the instruction present here.

3. Then follow the prompts to switch to the new app as explained here.

Due to the obsolete nature of the discontinued Apple apps, we can’t guarantee that your app will work properly after Sept. 30th, and it may not be possible to move your charts and data to the new app.
Gee, this feature should REALLY attract business.

Back