Nanaimo Winter 2013/14

I also use my boat during the Winter as I am out of Ladysmith, and also look forward to some fine days out on the water.

Gary, its usually pretty slow around Nanaimo until Christmas or shortly there after. January can be pretty decent. Last year I ended up taking the boat down do Porlier pass from Ladysmith, and fishing the outside of Galliano 3 times, and hit some pretty decent fish.

I'll be doing the same, when do the winter fish show up?

fishing the outside of Galliano [/QUOTE]

I was fishing out there last year only to discover I was trolling right through an RCA. Watch out for that one plus the one on the outside of Valdez Isl. as they aren't on the Area 17 map. They are in Area 29. I also fish out of Ladysmith and hope to see you out there in a few months. Cheers; twogone

I usually fish right through the winter, find most of the fish out off rocky point and inside reef by the fingers fallow contours and zig zaging over them shallow deep, deep shallow. Long leaders 6 foot minimum. Mostly 125 foot depth. It was good yesterday off shack island chum still holding not as many as recent weeks but still not bad.

fishing the outside of Galliano

I was fishing out there last year only to discover I was trolling right through an RCA. Watch out for that one plus the one on the outside of Valdez Isl. as they aren't on the Area 17 map. They are in Area 29. I also fish out of Ladysmith and hope to see you out there in a few months. Cheers; twogone

Yep, good point to bring up. Area 29 covers a lot of area off Vancouver and over to eastern (outside) Galiano and eastern Valdez, up to south Gabriola and "offshore" of eastern Gabriola so those RCA's fall in area 29. Valdez also has an RCA that includes some eastern shoreline at the north east corner (and into Gabriola Pass) and that one is in area 17. I'll post all three of them here as I have them saved.

Attachments

• 5_GalianoN.jpg
    5_GalianoN.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 3,522
  • 13_Valdes Island__Gabriola Passage.jpg
    13_Valdes Island__Gabriola Passage.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3,555
  • 29cover_RCA.jpg
    29cover_RCA.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,518
  • 460_Valdes Island East.jpg
    460_Valdes Island East.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 3,531
has anybody been prawning lately in silva bay, gabriola island, ive never prawned there and i would like to get out this weekend and since its closed near thetis till the 15th im going to try near thrasher rock area? thank you

Hey DOF...how goes it?
You shoulda hit the Tuna shootout...what a blast...I think the Beam is gonna be open next year for it.
As far as the crabs, might just be time of the year....I know it gets better on the Van side in a couple of months...been fished pretty hard over here.

Cheers,

Guy

Hey DOF...how goes it?
You shoulda hit the Tuna shootout...what a blast...I think the Beam is gonna be open next year for it.
As far as the crabs, might just be time of the year....I know it gets better on the Van side in a couple of months...been fished pretty hard over here.

Cheers,

Guy

Going good, Guy. hopefully get my act together for next year's shoot out. Maybe see you at the Beam in July.

Dan

Not sure when we are going over yet but the first week might be a good bet again...same as last year...I will touch base when we hammer it out...

winter springs: hey for you guys who want to catch some winter springs, i was fishing in front of the croften boat launch in about 140ft and manged to get 2 nice sized winter springs, around 10lbs . i was using a green glow flasher, and a green squirt hoochie.

winter springs: hey for you guys who want to catch some winter springs, i was fishing in front of the croften boat launch in about 140ft and manged to get 2 nice sized winter springs, around 10lbs . i was using a green glow flasher, and a green squirt hoochie.

Nice work Buddy! Those are nice size winters! Thanks for the report!

-KK

Went out with a buddy today to try out his new 21' trophy pro.. got pretty snotty out there so didnt get any trolling in, Same as D.O.F. on the crabs, we fished two crab traps for 3 hours probably boated about 50 -70 crab only two keepers, only about 50 prawns for two traps on a two hour soak.. square bauer trap out fished the round one 2-1 , good thing i dont rely on seafood to fill my belly..:p

Went out with a buddy today to try out his new 21' trophy pro.. got pretty snotty out there so didnt get any trolling in, Same as D.O.F. on the crabs, we fished two crab traps for 3 hours probably boated about 50 -70 crab only two keepers, only about 50 prawns for two traps on a two hour soak.. square bauer trap out fished the round one 2-1 , good thing i dont rely on seafood to fill my belly..:p

Lots of undersize crabs out there. We pulled 35 to 40 last week with only two keepers.
Dave

you bet some of my hotspots have turned into not spots..guess I should be happy there is at least lots of undersized and females, was pretty shocked pulling full pots with 0 keepers..IMG_3536[1].jpgnot a keeper in the bunch on this pull..

Back