Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Last night produced, trolled around behind the hudsons and picked up a couple 15 lb. down 40 and 75 both hit the 40 rod. Saw some other fish caught and played nice night really.

Fished 4:30 till dark. Nothing but shakers until a 23 lb red spring that was starting to look like it was ready for the river hit at dusk. 60 feet near the fingers.

Fished low slack and a few hours after around Hudson/Fingers today.....nothing for us. Lots of boats around but didn't see any nets out. Wish we could have stayed out, looks like a lake now! Thanks to a fellow forum member for some gear tips which I am sure will produce at some point.

Cheers

BL

Went out for a couple hours this morning near entrance. Blank for salmon but got a couple nice lings. One lived to see another day...

I should mention that I've NEVER caught a salmon in Nanaimo went it was flat calm like today. I always do better with a little chop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out targeting springs, sounder wouldn't stop showing bottom between 45 and 80 feet, switched quickly onto sox gear and vavoom. They are there, right off fingers and entrance . Huge schools that were there most of the day .

Out targeting springs, sounder wouldn't stop showing bottom between 45 and 80 feet, switched quickly onto sox gear and vavoom. They are there, right off fingers and entrance . Huge schools that were there most of the day .

DANG!! Ironically I replaced my sockeye gear with spoons on the way out to the fingers yesterday......should have listened to my wife!! :(

Out targeting springs, sounder wouldn't stop showing bottom between 45 and 80 feet, switched quickly onto sox gear and vavoom. They are there, right off fingers and entrance . Huge schools that were there most of the daY

I was out yesterday (Monday) off the fingers from noon till 6 looking for the sox but didn't find them. (got one really nice Coho as a consolation prise). Maybe I wasn't out far enough or they have moved. There was 1 boat quite a way out & there seemed to be lots of flashing at the stern so maybe that's where they were. I would like to try again on Wednesday if the weather permits....any advice? I'm out of Ladysmith so maybe off thrasher or Porlier would be worth a try. Cheers; twogone.

Nice night out around the Fingers last night, unfortunately the fishing was not so hot despite running through the biggest patches of bait I have ever seen!!

did anyone touch a fish last sunday? The week had been stellar up to that point.
We put in our time but nothing to show for it.

caught some nice lings last night by snake island...15&10lbs respectively...didn't waste time trolling for salmon.....

Can any-one tell me where it is possible to shore fish in the neck point area. I understand that chinook, can be shore caught in this area at some times of year.
Thank you,
Lure-washer

Back