Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

I was out as well last night first out to 800 plus feet ended up landing a 28 lber and snapping a even bigger one off out there. They seem to be holding a fair bit further out then i remeber for this time of year. Maybe late return.

not much luck for us last nite. tried in close to fingers and then further out all the way down to neck. couple very small coho was it.

decided on a quick shift from 5-7 tonight - trolled the 150 contour up to Neck and in closer off the rocks once there. lost a 3-4lb coho at side of boat and one pin-popper with nothing on the hook. all action at 54ft with green/white spoon. nothing else other than weeds.

wind didnt lay down like i hoped it might this eve...

They were hit down around 117 feet or so in the fathoms i think it was like a 800ft contour out there, but interestingly enough both fish hit close to tide lines out there. Purple haze onion uv glow flasher and i think yellow tail spoon. I have caught a few teenagers in the last week or so as well but in tight to neck point down like 25 to 30 feet in 40 feet of water.

if they were hellbent on getting somewhere (river) or chasing feed, they would be much further than those two spots within a week...

also forgot to mention I saw a guy at the table with the white meat trifecta,
4 tiny rockfish (35-40cm)
4 undersized lings (like 40cm)
and 1 big halibut (40#ish)
and we wonder why the populations wont recover

Probably similar to what the 9 people in the Grady that sank of Entrance Island would have had, if they'd made it back to shore with their catch. Glad they're all safe.

also forgot to mention I saw a guy at the table with the white meat trifecta,
4 tiny rockfish (35-40cm)
4 undersized lings (like 40cm)
and 1 big halibut (40#ish)
and we wonder why the populations wont recover

Did you report him?
Dave

We had a very good day yesterday. Got a 23 and a 34 pounder. My first Tyee. We were all over the place from Entrance to Fingers. Got the smaller one at entrance and the big one at Five Fingers. Both on the Glow/Cop Car Coho Killer and a UV kinetic yellow green jellyfish etc. flasher at about 150 feet.
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2014.jpg
20140827_1736481.jpg

Great report Lowtide. Congrats on the tyee :). Thanks for sharing.

Nice boat too. Looks like a custom. Who made it? (sorry for the hijack but damn that looks like a nice boat!).

It really is a beautiful boat. It is a custom, built in town last year. I can't remember who made it but I'll ask my friend. My boat isn't anywhere near as nice but it doesn't leak.

Great fish you have there congrats ....... one of hopefully many to see on here as we await the big gin springs to the fraser mouth I presume

Back