Nanaimo River Hatchery Open House Fundraiser

Oglthorpe

Hey guys,

Come out and support the hatchery. It is a great family event. Helicopter rides, coho touch tank, adopt-a-fish, fly tying and casting, trout fishing, dunk tank, fishing simulator, face painting, salmon bbq, live entertainment.

Come out and visit rain or shine. Sunday, May 7. 10-3.

Find more information at www.nanaimoriverhatchery.ca

This is an awsome event. Support the hatchery and bring the kids out to enjoy the day. The hatchery needs the support of the community so it can produce salmon for many years to come.

Oh my goooooodness!
Is Cliffy doing the face painting??

my family hads alot of fun , strange looking those "albino coho "but neet. there reintroducing pink salmon to the naniamo river as well

Glad to hear you had a good time. Also, they are actually albino chinook, and yes, there were 600,000 pinks released this year, so there should be a good return to the river in the fall of 2007.

I've got some pics of albino Chinook that I took at the Chapman Creek Hatchery about 12 years ago or thereabouts. They had several they kept as "pets" there at that time.
I doubt any would survive in the wild as they would be easy prey for predators one would think.

Take care.

there cool looking , the guy told me they tried 2 get some eggs 2 hatch but weren`t sucsessful. 2 bad

A few have been caught. People refer to them as "ghost chinook". When Sealand put a store in Woodgrove for Christmas they had one on the wall that was caught. I have even heard of one returning to spawn in the Cowichan.

A few have been caught. People refer to them as "ghost chinook". When Sealand put a store in Woodgrove for Christmas they had one on the wall that was caught. I have even heard of one returning to spawn in the Cowichan.

cowichans my home river, will keep an eyes and ears open , i always go down and talk with the guys at the fish counting fence.

cowichans my home river, will keep an eyes and ears open , i always go down and talk with the guys at the fish counting fence.

You would know if you saw one. They are white, and turn yellowish when they mature. Like said before, it is very rare for one to return back to the river, let alone make it out of the river after hatching.

You would know if you saw one. They are white, and turn yellowish when they mature. Like said before, it is very rare for one to return back to the river, let alone make it out of the river after hatching.

Back