Nanaimo Area

Was out Saturday, bright and early, bit bumpy but fishable. Dropped prawn traps at Entrance, run over nearer to Snake and started fishing towards the Spoil Grounds, Hit fish right away, 137', Bad Attitude and Irish Cream spoons. Many shakers, but made it in with 3 keepers, biggest 9+ lbs. Just stayed in the area right around the ferry lanes. Let first one go because I wasn't exactly sure of the length limit and couldn't find my tape, only to regret it later when I found tape. Oh well... still great day.
Bummed about the prawns though. 8 traps down only 31 prawns (although they were nice ones). First time in many years I have had that poor of a showing at Entrance. More used to 200+. Crab gods were good to us though, getting 5 keepers. Back at home, while we cleaned & packaged fish, Queen did up the prawns, crab and a few clams from Friday for a real feast. Excellent experience for my friend from Calgary.

Sounds like a good outing. That seafood fest must of been impressive for your friend :). Thanks for sharing.

Stress medicine: Dont worry about the lackluster prawning out front, the commie prawn boats have bee hitting that area hard, from entrance to finger n even behind snake island, was out at least three days last week and saw this first hand, commie opening must be almost done now so hopefully the numbers will improve.

Fished off Thrasher, Entrance and the Fingers on the weekend. Managed to box 6 springs between 8 and 15 pounds. Depths were all over the place from 30 feet to 160 feet. Splatterback hoochie was top producer, but hit some on Irish Crème and Kitchen Sink. The bite was best in the morning. Tide was really ripping and made it tricky to troll, so was dropping the lines and running with the current and then pulling them and running back.

Jeffywc
I know. Was thinking the same thing myself and told my friend the same. Just disappointing when we couldn't give him the fresh prawn feast, Had to supplement with some frozen ones from our stash.
Same thing in the canal, I don't know where all the commercial prawn boats come from, but they are sure hitting it hard. Might try fishing this side once more this week and then we're pulling to boat to Macktush for the summer.

I had a good if not rather wet at times couple of days fishing Nanaimo.Saturday evening 1 @14 lbs. Sunday daytime 1 @ 16 lbs. & 1 at 13 lbs 2 on army truck hootchie and 1 on chartreuse spatter-back spoon. Monday 1 @ 14 lbs, 1 at 20 lbs, and 1 @ 23 lbs 2 on the spatter-back spoon and 1 on a kitchen sink spoon . Friday night and Saturday morning released lots of shakers and a few that were on the line size-wise, may or may not have been keepers. The hardest fighting by far was the 20 lb, she pealed out a lot of line and I was well into my backing before she stopped running and began head shaking and just being generally hard to get along with. She was rewarded for her efforts with a free boat ride. All fish were caught between 125 and 140 feet. All of the fish had empty bellies. I have never seen as many boats on the waters of Nanaimo as I saw on Saturday. The 23 lb. had no milt or roe in him (her?) does this mean she would not spawn until next year? It was marbled. Another question while I am at it - do any of you who are more scientific inclined have ant idea how long it takes a herring or other type food fish take to digest in a salmons belly? I sure would be interested in finding out.

Thanks
h.e.h.

I asked that question myself...but all I got basically was a couple of dick-head responses.

Did a little googling....turns out fish are like humans sort of...if they eat to fullness, some of their energy will be turned towards digestion. A full belly will cause lower swimming speed because of this. I was unable to find exact digestion times. But I did read one study where some of the fish they were testing in a large tank went anywhere from 10 to 30 hours between meals , if I interpreted their information correctly.

Now i am curious what my spring from friday had in its belly, was a pretty healthy looking fish, Guess i can do the autopsy next time out as i have the guts n head in my freezer for upcoming crab bait.:), was also told that salmon trimmings will help with my prawn count...will have to see later this week if it mellows out.

The 23 lb. had no milt or roe in him (her?) does this mean she would not spawn until next year?

Strange! I actually caught a 9lbr hatchery in victoria last week - same thing didnt see any milt or roe... and the fish was darkening already...

I thought they always had some trace of milt or roe just not very big if they are not getting close to spawning. Maybe it was a male and the milt was so small I missed it but it was kinda weird... Thought it might have just been a dud who wound never be able to spawn.

Thanks For the response guys.
GDW
We looked quite closely for any signs of either milt or roe and there was absolutely none - go figure. No signs of it beginning to colour it was as chrome as they come. I guess you would not be able to say it was a male shooting blanks as there was nothing to shoot LOL.

Thanks
h.e.h.

Bart and I made it out this afternoon for a few hours. Heard what depth on the radio and hit one right off the bat with a small irish creme spoon. It was probably legal but let that one go. Released a few shakers and pcod. We had around 8 pop offs. Ended the day close in by Neck Point and Bart got to go home with a nice eater. Missed one more over there too. We saw RVP out kayak fishing by Neck and talked to him for a bit. That was cool :cool:. The boat ran flawlessly and she and I are very happy :). Great day on the water.

Cheers,
Sculpin

RVP boated a 13lb spring in his speed bump after you talked to him.....:)

RVP boated a 13lb spring in his speed bump after you talked to him.....:)

That's fricken awesome :D. He showed us his kayak, all in one, 1 lb. ball, downrigger system lol.. That's so cool he hooked up:cool:. Must have been shallow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a pretty big smile on his face...he video most of it while playing...just have to see that footage...too funny.... Kayak speed bump..same thing.... he hee :)

We have been doing really well over the past two weeks with one or two big fish every trip, all on army truck hoochie and irish cream spoon. Two of the biggest fish of ours had medium size herring in them, so on Sunday we decided to do herring in teaser heads (first time ever for me) had 4 fish by 0800 and another two by 1200, range 10-20 poundsIMG_0767.jpgIMG_0790.JPGIMG_0791.jpgIMG_0792.JPGIMG_0856.jpgIMG_0893.jpg

We caught two dogfish, haven't seen those around for years but like I said we never fish with bait. I have been lurking for years on the forum this is my first post! Pictures of Sunday"s other four salmon unfortunately on my mates daughter's phone I will try and post them later.

Looks like I'm fishing solo on saturday morning,have room for a couple other people if anyone is interested.Will be leaving the ramp at 5ish and returning around noon

IMG_0900.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg
The rest of Sunday morning's catch, all on herring. Trolling in the same direction as that strong outgoing tide was the ticket!

I had a good if not rather wet at times couple of days fishing Nanaimo.Saturday evening 1 @14 lbs. Sunday daytime 1 @ 16 lbs. & 1 at 13 lbs 2 on army truck hootchie and 1 on chartreuse spatter-back spoon. Monday 1 @ 14 lbs, 1 at 20 lbs, and 1 @ 23 lbs 2 on the spatter-back spoon and 1 on a kitchen sink spoon . Friday night and Saturday morning released lots of shakers and a few that were on the line size-wise, may or may not have been keepers. The hardest fighting by far was the 20 lb, she pealed out a lot of line and I was well into my backing before she stopped running and began head shaking and just being generally hard to get along with. She was rewarded for her efforts with a free boat ride. All fish were caught between 125 and 140 feet. All of the fish had empty bellies. I have never seen as many boats on the waters of Nanaimo as I saw on Saturday. The 23 lb. had no milt or roe in him (her?) does this mean she would not spawn until next year? It was marbled. Another question while I am at it - do any of you who are more scientific inclined have ant idea how long it takes a herring or other type food fish take to digest in a salmons belly? I sure would be interested in finding out.

Thanks
h.e.h.

Happy to hear you did well Monday! Must've been slightly wet? Back this weekend?

Back