Nanaimo Area

Had a friend bag a couple in the high teens last night off fingers..double header to boot,Anyone else have any good reports from around Nanaimo??

was fishing in 700 feet at about 135-145.. couldn't keep the shakers off, i must have released 20, we boated one around 10lbs..,one fish n three crabs,, not skunked i guess..

Heading out there this evening for the weekend! First real trip out for me this year! Cant wait.

Was out yesterday from about 5 to 9 in the evening, pretty good action, especially at the very end. Had 5 fish to the boat, 2 keepers, all around 135ft down except one, all on live image spoon. I hadn't hit anything over maybe 6lbs all day and it was about 845, daylight was fading fast and all the other boats had left for the dock. I pulled one line that had not had a hit all day even with different lures, depths, even tried it shallow 75ft with no action. Decided id bring the hot line that was getting all the hits up to 65ft just to see if anything would bite in the next 15. Was almost dark and i had debated just pulling it up and heading in but i just didn't feel ready to leave, so after about 5 minutes of having the line down, boom! huge hit..i could tell right away this was no 10lber, what a fight this was..probably lasted about 20 minutes, finally got it to the boat, and grabbed the net as I was fishing solo, and i found out pretty quick its a little harder netting a bigger fish by yourself than a smaller one. Tried to net it tail first as i couldn't manuver it head first, got it half in and dropped the rod so i could use both hands to net it, just as i did, it thrashed around and jumped out of the net and took off under the boat almost taking my rod with it. After dropping the net and grabbing the rod i realized the fish was still on and also the end of the rod was broken..reeled him back in and this time went for the net head first and bam, in the bag.. 21lber, absolute tank. best night out ever. some might say 20lbs not that big but that's the biggest one ive ever caught as im new to the nanaimo area and the place i used to fish back in the day you would be lucky to get a 10+lber. Picture doesn't do it justice, this thing was thick!
Picture 031.jpg

Nice work Van isle, i think some people think they are just in the deep, lots of times i have bagged nice spring in 55 feet of water... i only have one electric deepline so i always keep the hand crank below 90 feet. in Barkley sound that seems to be the magic number for me.

Was out early and in to fish right off the bat with a double header just before the fingers in 200 ft. Nice 17 #marble and never got to see the other. Fished a bit longer and picked up a second inside the humps down 120 ish. Good morning most people i talked to said the action was on the inside.

Had a boat load of 13 year old girls today, fished out by the fingers.Hit a 10 lber about 5 mins in on a kitchen sink spoon at 155 feet and then nothing for the next hour and half. The girls got bored and wanted to go jigging,what a gong show that was lol. Stuck on bottom,wraped around the motor,tangles,loosen the drag nut off and it falls in the water... it was time to go in!!!

was out with a friend yesterday off Nanaimo, we bagged 2, an 18lb white spring &12 lb red.. 180' Irish creme spoon and 135' yellowtail

Fishing is amazing right now. Last night was flat calm and produced really nice catches. These twins were caught in an hour off the fingers. cop car and green glow hot spot.IMAG0093.jpg 18s

picked up this spring this afternoon in 17 km winds...between entrance and snake island 135' on the glowtiger! white spring 30 inches..IMG_2365.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2365[1].jpg
    IMG_2365[1].jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_2364[1].jpg
    IMG_2364[1].jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 444
Thanks Baddog, wasn't much of a fight to it.. didn't even pull itself off the release if ya can believe that!, must have been tired form out-runing the Orca's

Back