Nanaimo Area

Sculpin: I wasn't knocking Mighty Sylvan's fish.....very good catch. But on my screen it looks like it had a paint job (army truck) down the side. Couldn't figure out how that would occur. Maybe just an anomaly of the lighting?...who knows.........but nice fish though.....

I see it too seafeaver the red is obviously blood but there appears to be a green stripe too. Neat picture and nice fish everyone. Please shoo them along down around Sidney and up to oak bay. We are patiently waiting!

Thought I'd head up to the area off gabriola, couple miles off the grande. Tried a couple miles out with some other boats, nothing today. Went and trolled around thrasher and picked up a 15lb hatch, nice fish. Fished there a bit more then headed to porlier and found a Hali. Only 2 hits so far.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368224776.394722.jpg

1 9lb'er today off Neck point:- Bite came on around 2p.m. , lasted for about half an hour and that was it, it seems for me. Had double header at 1:50 p.m......wife lost hers while she let it idle while trying to control engine.

120ft deep in 300ft of water .

Super Betsy Gold flashers:- plus... this spoon was doctored up. Right hand spoon is what is on the back of the left one. Left one is also half Glow. It is about 3.5 " spoon.

Lost a couple of "dine 'n' dashers"..... only spoons worked today. Nada on hoochies.

Fish had 3" herring in it.

002.jpg005.jpg

Thought I'd head up to the area off gabriola, couple miles off the grande. Tried a couple miles out with some other boats, nothing today. Went and trolled around thrasher and picked up a 15lb hatch, nice fish. Fished there a bit more then headed to porlier and found a Hali. Only 2 hits so far.

View attachment 7114

Nice catch firelight! I was out there yesterday and caught my only one out in the ferry lanes off grande. Were you targeting hali in porlier or did you catch it by chance?

We were just trolling for salmon on the bottom, my usual spot there and hooked it up. Water was sure murky looked like bloom plus silt.

View attachment 7114

Nicely done my friend:)!

Had a couple "ghost fish hook-up the otherday... prompted me to change out some hooks, i think from now i am changing my hooks to mustad siwash.. cant believe some of the garbage hooks coming out on spoons nowadays.. i know it wont solve all my problems but why not take the extra advantage and swap hooks right away rather then deal with smaller chance of hookin up with small hooks..like to hear your thoughts on this one people.., i appreciatephoto (3).jpg all your help with this matter as i have still a big "s" on my boat..

the spoons on the left are as purchased new out of package.. ones on the right are new with hooks i have changed out, to the right of the picture is the difference in hooks..... bigger hook bigger fish ??:)

The hook on the far far left is a Matzuo.....Silver Horde puts these on their spoons stock.

I like the design of the hook......but open-eye Matzuos that I've purchased as retro-fits seem to have a nasty habit of breaking at the eye no matter how you crimp them.

I like the Mustad black open-eye (like the one on the spoon pic I just posted) ....they are not too heavy so you can run them off the back with a barrel swivel (which I like but that's just me) and still get good action on the spoon......they hold really good.

I think TKO spoons come with the Mustad black open-eye like I just described.

I used to like VMC.......but lately not using those.......

The hook on the far far right.......I like that style with the extra bit of bend in it......compared to the straight Siwash....

a buddy of mine has complained to me about the Matzuos breaking before with big fish on the end, hats off to TKO spoons for having decent 4/0 hooks on them, the guide i was talking to this morning at the pirate mayhem sale recommended the mustad ultrapoint in 5/o for spoons and hootchies, , i have not had problem with the Matzuos myself but opted to go for a slightly bigger hook, i like they way the mustad hooks angle away from the hookshank, was told they hold fish better..

The hook on the far far left is a Matzuo.....Silver Horde puts these on their spoons stock.

I like the design of the hook......but open-eye Matzuos that I've purchased as retro-fits seem to have a nasty habit of breaking at the eye no matter how you crimp them.

I like the Mustad black open-eye (like the one on the spoon pic I just posted) ....they are not too heavy so you can run them off the back with a barrel swivel (which I like but that's just me) and still get good action on the spoon......they hold really good.

I think TKO spoons come with the Mustad black open-eye like I just described.

I used to like VMC.......but lately not using those.......

The hook on the far far right.......I like that style with the extra bit of bend in it......compared to the straight Siwash....

The TKO spoon has a mustad 10848BLN hook on them.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I stopped in at PNT in parksville on the way to ukee a couple weeks ago Rob gave me a TKO lure to try, he said" this will catch fish". I didn't try it that trip, stupid me, but I used it yesterday with the stock hook and caught the two fish above.

Thanks Rob and PNT.

I'll post a pic of it later.

Out off the fingers today. 12lbr and 8lbr. Lots of little shakers. Down 120'-150'. 3" spoon with pink on it and blue green needle fish hoochie.

Not so much luck for me today. This was my first solo trip in this boat. Everything went well, I will be fishing by myself more often. 4 shakers and 4 Hake.

Had a good day between grande and entrance, boxed 4 all 10 pound give or take a little. Had one good sized fish on I never saw, and a ridiculas amount of small five six pound fish, all in we had right around twenty hook ups today. Fish were hitting spatter back double glo green and same in blue hootchies at 160 in 600 to 1200 feet . If only it was a school a big springs, pretty fun though. Ended with a nice ling.

Bit late for an update, but did well on Friday morning. Out early (not as early as some), hooks in water before 6:00, first bite at 6:04. Missed, some P.cod to keep me busy and finally around 8:00 a nice 15.5. Within the next half hour, boated and released a couple in the 12lb range, waiting for Mr. Big, but didn't show. Settled for the 15.5 and a bunch of P.cod for crab bait. Fished at various depths, 90 - 165, used Irish Cream, Green Spackle Back, Anchovies, Lime Green & Silver Coyote. Irish Cream @ 135 caught all three. Others caught P.Cod. Fished 2-3 miles off Fingers at the Spoil Grounds and into Whiskey Gulf. At the cleaning station, seemed like I did the best for numbers, but another person had a 17+ lber. Great Day on the Water. Couldn't have been calmer.

Back