Nanaimo Area

Been hearing reports it's starting to heat up , Another boat off of gabe landed six lastnight including a 32 lber , they are out there, sorry bout your fish, that sucks, next time try puttin er in neutral n let the other boats steer around you, im sure most of us out there would have no problem steering clear of you fighting a big slob like that, only takes a second n that fish is gone with barbless hooks..im glad you were hooking up in close, i think sometimes people overlook trolling in close because the dont want to risk losing their balls, this fish i am attaching came in right off the green last may.026.jpg its only small but just goes to show they are in close aswell

Hi 'gang'; I'm toyally new to all this, grew up in Cowichan Bay and laid waste (mom actually canned 'em) to a pile of Springs & Coho as a kid but that was 55 years ago and until now (retired at last) haven't fished in the salt from a boat since. Took my new boat out on Wednesday for a trial run; fished off Thrasher at 120' for a few hours without any success but on the way home we picked up a nice Ling near Porlier. My boat is only 16' so I'll wait for some calmer weather before I try again.
Cheers;
twogone

Welcome to the forum, my friend picked up a 28 pounder off grande today out in the deeps down deep 159 on bait. Try one down deeper next day out. Good luck and welcome back to the salt.

Grande is along the back entrance to Silva bay and is an area that runs up towards entrance island. One of tge houses just off the back entance was called the grande and was once a hotel I believe. Gabriola island usually starts to fish well around this time of year.

Welcome to the forum, my friend picked up a 28 pounder off grande today out in the deeps down deep 159 on bait. Try one down deeper next day out. Good luck and welcome back to the salt.

Dmurph; Many thanks for the welcome and the 'tip'. I'm stuck with family 'stuff' this weekend but looking forward to some nice weather for my little boat next week. That ling sure was good and it put me in the wife's 'good books' too. I hope to see you out there; my boat is called Dixie but the lettering is really small so you will need glasses to find me. Again, thanks for the help; Cheers; twogone

Great day on the water today. Chipstealer and I headed out early this morning. We dumped the crab and prawn traps and hit the morning minor between Entrance and the grande. 400 feet of water, green spatter back hootchie, reading 105 on the rigger. Managed an 8 lber and a couple of shakers. Pulled the prawn traps and got a meal for the two of us. Not lot's but they were all jumbos. 5 keeper dungees as well.

Heard of a few fish caught on the radio around thrasher and the fish cleaning station at brechin was pretty busy. Beauty day to be out on the water. I was wearing shorts and sandles all day:D. Rest of the week looks awesome weather wise:cool:.

Nice work James. I didn't see you out there but me and a fried managed our limit of 4 this afternoon. Nothing as big as yours looks, all around 10 lbs but lots of action and a great day. 2013-05-05 15.07.30.jpg

very nice. new to the forum but nice to see the results from today. seems like the bite was on. got 2 low teens in the boat today along with 4 small ones released. saw pretty much every boat out there hook up to something. couple miles off the fingers, 120-140ft, irish cream spoons. beautiful day on the water.

Mighty Sylvan.....what's with that salmon pic (nice work by the way!).......it looks like it has been renovated with an Army Truck paint job on one side..........

My partner and I fished up and down passed the Grand yesterday and again today. Got one really good hit yesterday but only came up with half an anchovy. Nothing today except weeds; weeds everywhere so the gear was up and down constantly. I think we may have been too close to Gabriola. There were 9 boats around Thrasher (many jigging for cod I think) so we headed over there for a while and got 1 shaker. We stopped at Porlier on the way home and picked up a nice 16 lb ling. I'll find a nice spring one day I guess. I think deeper water may be the answer. Cheers; twogone

I should have hosed it off. We were excited and quickly took the pic so we could get the gear down again.

That is a great fish and don't EVER apologize for the picture. At least you posted one (Seafever take note LOL). A very nice fish. Hosed off or not.

Keep up the good reports dude.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2255[1].jpg beauty night on the water, dont know why i even unhooked the boat, couple missed hook-ups on the chovey, no keepers.., giver another go tomorrow , lots over killer whales out tonight by fingers... pretty cool to see, wish i could have managed a picture of the pod.

Attachments

• IMG_2253[1].jpg
    IMG_2253[1].jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 429
Pretty awesome night out there on Wednesday, fished the tide change from about 6-830. Pretty windy and choppy out there, which was surprising because it was supposed to be light winds instead of 25+kph. But it was definitely worth it, had three hits and three fish to the boat, but released one because I already had my two. First one was 125 down on live image spoon behind green glow flasher, and man it was a fighter, took a bunch or runs, probably took 10 min to get in the boat, was surprised it was only about a 6lber..but a keeper non the less. Didnt have much action after that for about an hour, until I decided to bring up one line to 75ft because I wasnt getting any action 125-160, and within 5 minutes had a solid hit, another solid screamer and fighter. This one was bigger tho probably about 12lbs. 3rd fish hit at 75ft as well about 10 min after I got that line back in the water, about the same size as first one. Copcar behind green glow flasher on that line. Will probably be out again here Friday eve. ps..does anyone know what this brown crap that I keep getting stuck on my line is? It looks like s**t, sticks like glue and gets stuck in the eyelets and makes reeling in line very restrictive. Cheers
Picture 027.jpg

that Brown crap is Algae..sure is a pain hey, it's on everyone's lines not just yours...sucks when it gets between the eyes of the rod n triggers the release on the downrigger.. when your puttin er back in..

Back