Nanaimo Area

Stoisy

Hey couldn't find a Nanaimo thread but was just curious about what is going on in the area if anyone is getting out and willing to share?
Home in 3 weeks and am excited to get on the water!
Thanks

A little slow the last few weeks, not enough boats out to find the pesky little devils

Got out from about 9 - 12 offshore of the Fingers. It was mid tide, and we were just out to make sure everything was working properly, but we saw one picked up by a boat beside us, looked about 10lbs. Nothing for us but a baby coho. Fished from about 100ft to 180ft out in the deep water. Very small schools of bait, and that was about all the action to speak of.

20130414_091319.jpgwas out today 7-10am about 15 boats started to show up about 8:00-9. lots of action on the lines, got a nice spring about 7:30 then it was on hard about 8:00am with two double headers 2km out from the fingers. everywhere you looked a boat had a fish on. great day on the water. i was fishing 140ft on the rigger with green glow flasher 5.5ft leader, cop car spoon. just adding in there white springs

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers All...so far not a big rush of fish but we are usually hitting them every trip. Biggest this past weekend was 20 lbs 4 kms out from the Fingers and 185' down on a Coyote 50/50.

got out at 8 this morning first pass got a 9 pound marble also, and a borderline fish somewhere 23-25" let it go and one 18". didn't have a sniff for a couple hours after that. 130 feet army truck hoochie.

i trolled around last weekend for 6 hours without a bite, Nice to hear i am at least doing the right thing, ive upgraded my ugly little boat with two scottys, electronics from lowrance, an another new gt 4000, last year in may fishing was exceptional a couple miles past fingers 160-180 with a glowgreen copcar in 4 inch, hope to get my ugly little boat out this weekend weather permitting, great to hear some fish are trickling in.

was out weds night. one 12 pound white 140 feet green/white coyote in 1100 feet of water. bunch of other boats out didn't see much going on but hard to tell way out there, maybe someone else can chime in with some local success stories....

Any dare to head out this morning, environment Canada keeps giving the doom n gloom weather forcast, but when i look at bigwavedave n entrance island forcast im seeing s/se 3 knots, **** even my fugly little boat can handle that, think im gonna start sleeping at the boatlaunch.

Not sure the point in sleeping at the boat launch when there's barely any fish out there..lol..ive been out about 3 times in the last 2 weeks and had one bite. Last time I was out talked to several people at the dock and and everyone was in the same boat, not a bite. Have seen the odd boat come in with one spring at the most. Nothing showing on the sounder either, hopefully it will pick up sometime soon.

just pissed at the weather that's all, fish have been trickling in, was one 26lber ,just seems the weather windows have been small , that's what i meant wouldn't really sleep there..lol , Also last may a friend and i took four over 20 lbs in 30 mins out past the fingers, there is hope out there, definitely wont catch anything if mother nature wont let me launch, nothing worse the getting turned around at the green can.., gotta wash some gear sometimes with no results, (all part of the joy)..thats why they call it fishing n not collecting salmon.

Cheers All...

Have been catching fish on our trips but it is definitely not full tilt yet...biggest has been 26 lbs. However...Mother Nature has been doing her best at keeping us off the water too! :(

3rd week of May we had a dynamite trip off of Neck Pt. last year....this mainlander will be poking around on the Nanaimo side of the pond around then I reckon....

Anyone mange to get a couple hours in tonight after the wind died down? looked pretty flat on the webcam..just curious, i think the fishing should start to heat up this week if it is anything like last May!

Was out for a few hours after the wind died down, absolutely beauty out there, only thing that would have made it better was some fish! or a fish I should say. Not much showing on the sounder, no bait, no hits, nothing. Was out a ways past the fingers in about 1200ft of water.

Was out tonight, glass calm out there. Decided to switch it up and fish alot shallower as I havent had any luck 100-200ft, so fished 60-100 feet and got some hits, one to the boat, bout a 3 pounder, few didnt stick. Then with daylight fading, got a huge hit, pounded off the downrigger and screamed out line, had to take at least 150ft of line. Once it stopped running i got a feel for the weight and had to be at least 20+. Went to steer the boat and gave slack for about a second and just like that it was gone, ah fun times. All the action was on a glow green hoochie with glow green flasher at about 70ft, zero action on any spoons at any depth. Was out a decent ways off neck point.

Back