Nahmint Lake closing indefinately

JO was long-time mayor of Tofino, so not a new politician, and I’d be in the camp who finds her to be super flaky... to put it kindly.

Cheers!

Ukee

Well, she hasn't been an MLA before so that's an interesting comment.
Scott couldn't have done any less on the matter so I cant see how she could be worse.
All I'm saying is that it's worth an email!
Pastafarian
They were both mayor in Tofino and i know all i need to know about them

What a pleasent surpirze
One thing that's changed, however, is the MLA for mid-island.
Scott Fraser is out and Josie Osborne is in. I will be reaching out to her shortly regarding this matter. From Port Alberni, cross the Somass River on highway #4 toward Tofino and Ucluelet. Turn left onto McCoy Lake road before crossing McCoy Creek and zero your odometer; McCoy Lake road will turn into Stirling Avenue.

I reached out to the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations to inquire about the concerns you have raised and they have provided some details and an update on the Nahmint Lake site that I would like to share. It is rare that some problems are accrued there. we are always wandering to think of such types of nonsense ideas and pending our trips and plan.
First I would like to point out that the Ministry was clear that day use of the site is still allowed- but overnight camping has been prohibited to minimize safety risks and because of deteriorated conditions of infrastructure, including the pit toilets.

The problem with the "day use" is they have locked the gate at the top of the access road. This makes it extremely difficult to pack a boat into the lake.

What a pleasent surpirze
One thing that's changed, however, is the MLA for mid-island.
Scott Fraser is out and Josie Osborne is in. I will be reaching out to her shortly regarding this matter. From Port Alberni, cross the Somass River on highway #4 toward Tofino and Ucluelet. Turn left onto McCoy Lake road before crossing McCoy Creek and zero your odometer; McCoy Lake road will turn into Stirling Avenue.
If you think this her priority I have a bridge to sell you.
Her priorities will be to begin payback to all her financial backers for the campaign and redecorate her new office. She sucked for anyone that wasn’t a major celery chomping tree hugger. I know her well and you will be so disappointed in this poser

So the forestry website still says closed for dangerous trees. How long does it take to remove 14 or so trees? I was given that number by Robert Van der Zalm at MOF.

Has anyone been out to Nahmint and noticed if the yellow gate at the top of the access road is open?

Pretty Soon BC is going to be just like the states. All those great forestry sites that made BC such a wonderful place to travel and camp are going to be closed due to "liability reasons" like mentioned in the email. I'm sure that bridge is fine, as well. There was a time where a group of guys (probably loggers) would get together and just do the work that needed to be done to keep a place like the Nahmint open for families to visit in the summer time, but now the government throws up their hands and says"nothing we can do, nothing you can do either. too bad that beautiful place wont be enjoyed by anyone anymore but oh well". Its a damn shame.

Sooner rather than later the province has to resolve the issue of maintenance and upgrades to forestry roads. The recent report shows how deeply underfunded the road system is. That coupled with the deaths on the Bamfield road shows the entire concept of ownership and responsibility for forest roads is flawed and inconsistent. The crown has allowed privately held property, residences and businesses to develop on many of these roads, and in most cases collects taxes from them. Yet it expects resource operators to maintain the roads, or deactivates them if there is no resource exploitation in the area. Meanwhile property and business owners along the roads don't have clear rights and expectations to access their property along these roads.

So apparently everything is on hold until the new fiscal year starts (April). The ministry didn't know if the yellow gate at the top of the access road was open or not. Anyone here know if the gate is open?

Back