My winter boat transformation- alumn finally!

MRACER

rEADING ALL THE GREAT THREADS ON BOAT PROJECTS, SO WORKED UP THE NERVE TO THROW MINE IN THE MIX. bOUGHT A 24 FT COMMERCIAL CRAB BOAT WITH CENTER CONSUL AND COCKPIT-(whoops- sorry about the caps! just as bad on the computer as at fishing I guess-LOL)
Had an 85 Johnson- Removed everything above the gunnel- Ordered 2 suspension seats from Tractor supply in Duncan-complete full size head with holding tank and macerator, and high pressure wash down pump, and led lights for nav and interior from Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo- Adding 20 gal fresh water tank(alumn) in bow between the 2 fuel tanks(plastic-17 gal each) Installing pilot house, hyd steering (2 stations) and twin 150 optimax - Have the Lowrance wide band radar and HDX system,radio, stereo etc. from my Proline. New trailer from sherwood marine (4,000.00) traded the proline for the engines and steering plus hyd trim tabs- not sure what the new glass will cost, but all the alumn work and incidentals like 2 - 2000gpm bilge pumps (one in pod and one inboat) raised downrigger mounts - fish box under the original sorting tray, 3 battries and boxes, wind wiper etc, should come in under 10,000.00
All my fishing friends with Grady's and Robalo' think I am crazy to get rid of my glass boat- BUT- it sits in the driveway 95% and alumn doesn't rot, fade or rust! It's lighter to tow and should be better on gas. I'm getting old and it's a fun project- Hope it works! trying to add picture of original ugly boat- if it works I will post updates.

Attachments

• NEW ALUMN BOAT 1.jpg
    NEW ALUMN BOAT 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 471
Yeah, looks like you made a good score there. That sucker sure does look bulletproof alright. Whenever I see boats like that I envision them getting airborne off Sidney Spit (at WOT) like in a Bond movie.

Indeed, more pics as you go this please.

i THINK i POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG SPOT--going to take some update pics this morning-should I move to the boat thread or continue here? Thanks guys for not jumping all over me if I made a newbie mistake.

more pics--

Attachments

• Nanaimo A-20111212-00038.jpg
    Nanaimo A-20111212-00038.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 362
  • Nanaimo A-20111212-00039.jpg
    Nanaimo A-20111212-00039.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Nanaimo A-20111212-00040.jpg
    Nanaimo A-20111212-00040.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 350
looking with envy at Sculpins new shed and trying to figure what to spray the inside of this boat with- Was thinking bedliner coating if I could get grey or white, but the temperature might be a problem---hope to do it prior to window instal. Any ideas????

looking with envy at Sculpins new shed and trying to figure what to spray the inside of this boat with- Was thinking bedliner coating if I could get grey or white, but the temperature might be a problem---hope to do it prior to window instal. Any ideas????

I have seen a couple of boats done with the bedliner material. Herculiner was the do it yourself kit I read about on the Aluminum Alloy Boat forum. You should head over there and join up. Great site with lot's of info on aluminum boats.

See this thread for the product I used on the Sculpin's decks. I'm very pleased with it. You can pick it up at ICI paints. Regardless of which way you go surface prep is the key.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?16248-Why-I-m-not-on-the-water-yet!

Cheers,
John

Sculpin- appreciate the tip-
Dogbreath - not sure which is worth more Alumn or glass-LOL
Pescador- yes to both- the hatch is for an anchor and was going to access the water tank there, but I think I will just add a fill tube.At my age I might forget to turn off the hose and fill the boat if the overflow is inside. With 20 gal of water I think I will make the pressure wash fresh water instead of salt. Can't use 20 gal for just the head and thought 200 lbs may be needed for front end weight to offset 700 lbs of engines. The pilot house was just over 500 lbs of alumn, but I think we cut out 150???Did put a removable tray under the cleanig table for storing fish if I can catch one.. I'm sure I will up the cost by thinking of more stuff as we go.

Sculpin- just went through the 9 pages of your boat rebuild- GREAT STUFF- Did Mike at the HC do your wiring? After looking at your lighting I came to the conclusion that too much light is just enuff! Love your back cabinet- wish I would have seen it earlier. I plan on painting the inside cabin just to keep the black smuges off of everyone-have you left yours raw?

Sculpin- just went through the 9 pages of your boat rebuild- GREAT STUFF- Did Mike at the HC do your wiring? After looking at your lighting I came to the conclusion that too much light is just enuff! Love your back cabinet- wish I would have seen it earlier. I plan on painting the inside cabin just to keep the black smuges off of everyone-have you left yours raw?

Yup raw inside like outside. I use some wax once a year to buff up the inside. Not to worried about smudges ha ha. I say tell your guests to get used to it. Haven't had any complaints in my boat yet ha ha. Really haven't had any smudges pass onto clothing etc. Might be the wax I don't know. Raw aluminum is purty IMHO!!!

Here is a shot of my inside side wall and look at the glove box after hitting it with some Collinite's wax.

floorboards003-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Here is a shot of my inside side wall and look at the glove box after hitting it with some Colenite's wax."

Yo Sculpin. I have a unpainted SilverStreak. What is this Colenite Wax you mention - where do you get it? What do you use it for? Do you use it to polish up the interior of your boat? My boat's interior is starting to get some surface oxidation - does this wax get rid of this? I know lots of questions, but you got me curious.

"Here is a shot of my inside side wall and look at the glove box after hitting it with some Colenite's wax."

Yo Sculpin. I have a unpainted SilverStreak. What is this Colenite Wax you mention - where do you get it? What do you use it for? Do you use it to polish up the interior of your boat? My boat's interior is starting to get some surface oxidation - does this wax get rid of this? I know lots of questions, but you got me curious.

Here is a link to their website. Most chandleries should carry it. I get mine from the Harbour Chandler here in Nanaimo.

http://www.collinite.com/

I just use it on the inside of the cabin but have thought about cleaning up the **** pit area too. It's alot of work to wax the inside and it does take off any oxidation in there. Paint would be alot of initial work but way less work afterwards in keeping the inside looking purdy.

Here is a link to their website. Most chandleries should carry it. I get mine from the Harbour Chandler here in Nanaimo.

http://www.collinite.com/

I just use it on the inside of the cabin but have thought about cleaning up the **** pit area too. It's alot of work to wax the inside and it does take off any oxidation in there. Paint would be alot of initial work but way less work afterwards in keeping the inside looking purdy.

Thanks for the info Sculpin. Does it work best with a buffing wheel to apply it or can you use it by hand?

i have a great 24 mile ratheon radar that would look great on that boat for sale great low price,pathfinder model

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Sculpin. Does it work best with a buffing wheel to apply it or can you use it by hand?

I used a fine scotchbrite pad by hand to apply it and take out the oxidation. I then used a mechanical buffer to do most of the buffing. I had to finish it by hand using white rags to get into the corners etc that the buffer couldn't reach.

Back