my next (last) project boat

Stringer is bedded in, took a week for the plywood to come in. The original stringer measured at 1 1/8" x 10" but I've replaced it with 1" x 10" marine grade plywood, plywood is a hell of a lot stronger then a board anyways. The glue takes 24hrs to dry, a litte clean up and I'll be glassing
IMG_1849_zpsced520de.jpg

IMG_1850_zpsbec1edd5.jpg

IMG_1851_zpsbeb85ebf.jpg

albernifisher. PM sent

Cant wait to see this progress...LOVE the classic old lines on this...are you putting the flybridge back on her?

Cant wait to see this progress...LOVE the classic old lines on this...are you putting the flybridge back on her?

The fly bridge is staying off, this is being built to be a fish killing machine and the fly bridge just acts like a sail when its windy.

Awesome progress Alberniefisher. Are you going to be using Epoxy or Poly resin? What type of glass are you using for the stringers? 1702, woven roving, cloth etc?

Cheers

2 layers of 1708 and 2 layers of 24oz woven roven with polyester resin on both sides

Cool. Do you find the 24oz woven roving is hard to work with on the 90 degree angles on the stringers? I used 24oz when I did my stringers back in 2009 and I ended up cutting it into strips and tabbing it in rather than wrapping the whole stringer.

stringer is all glassed in, 2 layers of 17oz biaxial cloth with 2 more layers of 24oz woven roven over that on both sides. The stringer is 18' long and it took 19 liters of resin, start fitting the floor in a couple days
IMG_1856_zps37fe46e8.jpg

IMG_1855_zpsc3e9e53b.jpg

Looking good. Man that is a lot of work and a lot of resin.
Question: Are you opening up the port side? or have you drilled/tested to see if the stringers on that side are OK?
Also noticed the step/recess in the deck on the port side, there for a specific reason??
That is going to to be a killer boat when done.

Cheers.
FH

The recess on the port side is where the toilet was. Im going to finish the starboard side before I dig into the port side, makes the job seem smaller If I finish something before I start on something else. I've been up and down the port stringer with a hammer and it sounds really solid, I'll be digging into that one next week.

drove by ya when you where at the beam,, my quote "slick lookin ride man"

cant wait to see the next one!!

The recess on the port side is where the toilet was. Im going to finish the starboard side before I dig into the port side, makes the job seem smaller If I finish something before I start on something else. I've been up and down the port stringer with a hammer and it sounds really solid, I'll be digging into that one next week.

Ahh,,, are you going to bother putting a head back on board?
Hopefully that Port side looks like the outer starboard stringer and you'll save a lot of time and work. That keel/bilge stringer/plate sound and solid too?
I love these rebuild threads, it gets the blood pumping and brain thinking. I salute you for your ambition and dedication to finding/making the time to do a project like this, that is hard to do when life gets busy, you must have one hell of an understanding and patient wife. In the end though, I am sure that you will have a boat that is going to be absolutely worth it.

FH

I hope your filling up the midships with fuel tanks man. Gotta get her ready for tuna :cool:.

What are you going to do for fuel tanks Gary? How much will she hold? Go big man. You don't have to fill them up but a big tank or tanks is a plus all around. There if you need it and good for resale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back