My first time Crabbing on my own!

Huyfishin

This was my very first attempt at going crabbing on my own! I had an absolute blast catching them and i'll definitely be doing it again. Hopefully i'll be able to make a catch and cook video sometime in the near future. I purchased chicken back from the grocery store to use as bait. The half moon crab traps were purchased at Trotac in Victoria BC.

Don't forget to leave a comment and subscribe! I appreciate the support.

I'm truly grateful.

in the US you measure just in front of those points, not on the points.:)

in the US you measure just in front of those points, not on the points.:)

thats what I was confused about, I ended up going online trying to find a solid answer, the government illustrations shows where to measure from but the lines/arrows were so thick i couldn't tell which was correct.

Oregon youtube videos showed in front of the points and all the locals told me measure from the points. Just cant trust anyones word. Needs to come from legitimate sources haha, Its a learning curve.

As per the dfo website " Use a caliper device to measure in a straight line through the widest part of the shell. A Dungeness crab must measure at least 165 mm. A red rock crab must measure at least 115 mm. You must immediately release all undersized crabs" So using a proper caliper if it touches both sides usually at the widest point (10th point on the dungeness and red rock carapace) then it is legal. Your video was well done especially for a new crabber. Another thing of note is be sure to label your trap with name and number as per the regulations especially if you are not going to be with your trap the whole time. There are crabs with darker purple shells and legs that look like dungeness but are actually called graceful crabs if you look at their shell it is widest at the 9th point while dungeness is widest on the 10th. The below pictures are of a graceful crab and dungenss...you can observe the 9th point is actually the widest section of the carapace.

images
Dungeness_ID_ODFW.gif.jpeg

As per the dfo website " Use a caliper device to measure in a straight line through the widest part of the shell. A Dungeness crab must measure at least 165 mm. A red rock crab must measure at least 115 mm. You must immediately release all undersized crabs" So using a proper caliper if it touches both sides usually at the widest point (10th point on the dungeness and red rock carapace) then it is legal. Your video was well done especially for a new crabber. Another thing of note is be sure to label your trap with name and number as per the regulations especially if you are not going to be with your trap the whole time. There are crabs with darker purple shells and legs that look like dungeness but are actually called graceful crabs if you look at their shell it is widest at the 9th point while dungeness is widest on the 10th. The below pictures are of a graceful crab and dungenss...you can observe the 9th point is actually the widest section of the carapace.

images
Dungeness_ID_ODFW.gif.jpeg
Excellent post JuBy...I think maybe 50% of fishermen see graceful crabs as small dungies. This helps explain the difference.

Soon you will have that day when you get your limit of 4 ,it will be a great day. A few tips you’ve probably found online but here they are anyway. Crabs come in with the tide and go out with it, if you get a bunch of smalls a females don’t put your trap back down on top of them or you’ll just get them again. Personal bait fav is fatty pork chop with bone & chicken necks, they can’t get enough of that marrow in the boney part. I have a thick leather glove for handling now cause those big guys can fight dirty. Good luck and have fun while you enjoy this gift from nature.

Soon you will have that day when you get your limit of 4 ,it will be a great day. A few tips you’ve probably found online but here they are anyway. Crabs come in with the tide and go out with it, if you get a bunch of smalls a females don’t put your trap back down on top of them or you’ll just get them again. Personal bait fav is fatty pork chop with bone & chicken necks, they can’t get enough of that marrow in the boney part. I have a thick leather glove for handling now cause those big guys can fight dirty. Good luck and have fun while you enjoy this gift from nature.

I'm gonna give that fatty porkchop a try! it sounds irresistible.

Thank you for the tips!

Back