My cabin is getting a little Snugger

Sculpin

I have always wanted a decent heater for the cabin of my boat from the day that I bought her. It did come with a cheap Woods brand RV propane heater but I ripped that out almost instantly. It was a cheap piece of crap and I don't like propane on a boat.

I came across an interesting deal on a forced air diesel heater that is made by a company that was started by ex-Espar employee's. It sure looks like and Espar. The company is called Snugger. I have started to layout how it's going to get installed and took some preliminary photos to start. I will post up the install as she goes.

I decided to mount it under the Port side passenger seat area.

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

Here is how the exhaust vent will have to work. It's an upside down u type trap so water does not get into the unit. Apparently this is the common way to install these vents. I was talked out of venting through the cabin bulkhead into the deck space as it will suck some exhaust back into the cabin.

IMG_2276.jpg

Continued.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The ducting will have a "t" fitting inside of the seat compartment that will allow a duct to be on the face of the seat box to heat the main cabin area.

IMG_2287.jpg

It will then follow up under the passenger side air ride seat, through the dash bulkhead and split into two dash diffusers for defogging the windows.

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

This should be a really nice addition for sure.

Continued....

I will build about a 4-5 gallon tank to fit behind the door for the diesel fuel (the unit uses about a half litre every 4 hours). It will be outside and in case of a spill or what have you during filling the cabin won't stink like diesel.

IMG_2289.jpg

This is the through hull exhaust fitting with a cooling jacket.

IMG_2278.jpg

It will be mounted somewhere about here on the hull.

IMG_2290.jpg

I'll post up the end results shortly as she get's installed. I can't wait as the unit is electronically fired so just turn on the batteries, press the power button before launching, and you have a nice toasty cabin shortly there after. Gotta love forts on a boat.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the espar on mine and have been snug as a bug. Burnt out one glow plug in three years.

I came across an interesting deal on a forced air diesel heater that is made by a company that was started by ex-Espar employee's. It sure looks like and Espar. The company is called Snugger. I have started to layout how it's going to get installed .

That's a slick little unit. I googled but no dealer came up - just eBay. Who's the dealer/distributor and approx. cost, please?
Do you know anything about the Planar units that are listed on eBay? Thanks.

Keep me posted with the heater John, I think it will be my first install this coming winter if your happy with it... I dont need anything to big for my little wheelhouse..

Oh! and thanks again for the Rack...

Keep me posted with the heater John, I think it will be my first install this coming winter if your happy with it... I dont need anything to big for my little wheelhouse..

Oh! and thanks again for the Rack...

I will Brad...............only if you post pic's of that new killer aluminum boat of yours;).

I hope that rack serves you well for many years.

Just waiting for a nice day to take some pic's... I havent even had it in the water yet... its killing me... Mike for HC has almost finished the GPS's

The rack you built me is great, Im scared to put advertising on it.. I dont really like to work, just fish...lol

I think my buddy Al is looking for a custom canopy for hunting of some sort, said he was gonna call ya !!! I passed on your number...

Just waiting for a nice day to take some pic's... I havent even had it in the water yet... its killing me... Mike for HC has almost finished the GPS's

The rack you built me is great, Im scared to put advertising on it.. I dont really like to work, just fish...lol

I think my buddy Al is looking for a custom canopy for hunting of some sort, said he was gonna call ya !!! I passed on your number...

I sure hope you post up some pic's on a nice day man. She is a beauty for sure.

Thanks for the reference.

Cheers,
John

I'm feeling warm over here....

It may be a little late now, but if your ducting is in areas where it can be squished, use PVC. My Espar is all run with PVC.

REAL men freeze thier butts off!!! No woosey heater pour moi! (and not much point in a soft top anyway) (sniff)

It may be a little late now, but if your ducting is in areas where it can be squished, use PVC. My Espar is all run with PVC.

It's all in area's that are not exposed so it shouldn't get squished. Thanks for the heads up on the PVC though thats good to know.

Back