My $2 Cold Smoker

TheBigGuy

Don't go trying to patent this thing from under me now. I have not seen anything like this posted on the Internet, so this seems to be an original idea I stumbled upon (unlike like my knot I thought was original). Believe it or not, you can make a perfect cold smoker for a whole $2. This one I came up with myself after seeing commercially available cold smoke tubes on other US smoking forums. The ama-z-n pellet smoker tube is made out of a stainless corrugated sheet and is designed to burn smoker pellets for up to 8 hours depending on the length. It retails for around $40 in the states, but is on Amazon for $120 in Canada.

Guess what? I built a home made cold smoker of my own design from a $2 value village Angel food cake tray. I used the same principles from the commercial cold smoking pellet burners by drilling out many ventilation holes instead of using stainless mesh or corrugated stainless tubes.

I tested my home made smoker yesterday for the first time, cold smoking cheddar cheese in my big chief clone aluminum smoker. Cheese is notoriously hard to smoke because a very low temp must be maintained. Normally an aluminum smoker with an electric heater burning chips could never accomplish this feat.

I will outline how I accomplished this via pictures. First the $2 Angel food cake tray. 20161115_170945.jpgNext I drilled many small holes in the bottom of the AFC tray. Then I drilled out the sides and middle of the tray with larger holes.

TBG1.jpg

I purchased a 20lb bag of Louisiana Grills New England Apple pellets from CDN Tire for $19.99 and I was off to the races for my first try at cheese smoking.

I first microwaved the smoker pellets 3 times at 111 seconds to remove any excess moisture to ensure it stayed lit. Then I filled the AFC Cold Smoker I'd made aprox half full with pellets. I lit one end of the pellets with a small propane torch for a few minutes and let it burn for 5 minutes more, to ensure it was burning well. Once the pellets have been burning solidly for 5 or more minutes, blow the flames out.

I bent the tabs down a bit on the part where the chip pan usually sits in my aluminum smoker, and my AFC cold smoker fit on top perfectly. That's it, no electricity required to keep it burning.

TBG2.jpg

TBG3.jpg
From the picture it might not appear to be generating a lot of smoke, but take my word for it, it is making as much smoke as a pan of chips would burning normally on the electric element. Smoke was billowing out the top of the smoker for almost 7 hours, and that was with the AFC smoker only half full of pellets. You should get at least 11-14 hours of burn time from filling it almost completely. Actual burn rate depends on what type of pellets you use.

As for the cheese it seemed to turn out well. I smoked 2 pieces of Balderson Extra Old Cheddar for 2 1/2 hours with an internal temp in the smokehouse between 80-85 degrees F. I left the bottom of the smoker door open a 1/4 inch for a little extra air circulation, to ensure the pellets did not go out.
TBG4.jpg

TBG5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awsome BigGuy. I'm going to have to give it a try

Dam straight. No separate smoker box, no extra electricity or gas bills, , no long pipe runs, no forced air fans. Just slow burning well ventilated smoker pellets. Heck you could even use a cardboard box it runs so cool.

BTW do not buy heating pellets for wood furnaces. They are only 6 bucks a bag, but they are full of nasty chemicals. The Traegar wood pellets are food grade, but they use wood essence oils to add the wood flavoring to a base wood. Basically the same as liquid smoke added to make it seem like it's a different type of wood. Some guys say it's fine, I'd rather use a natural product even if it's blended. At least it's blended with real wood. Most of the different brands are blends. 100% unblended pellets are only available in the states as far as I can tell. Expensive, and a huge shipping bill on top from what I've heard. So it's blended pellets up here. Most are blended with Alder, which is what you want for smoking Salmon anyways.

Thanks TheBigGuy, guess I will be hitting the Thrift shops first thing this morning bro! Your secret is safe with me! :)

The reason I made the holes very small on the bottom was so that the ash wouldn't all fall through the bottom. I didn't want to have to put a tray underneath to keep it clean in the smoker. Next to no ash fell through after the burn was complete. 20161118_090558.jpg

Thanks TheBigGuy, guess I will be hitting the Thrift shops first thing this morning bro! Your secret is safe with me! :)
Ya, I'm thinking you might want to get there early. There's going to be a lot of old gals in those thrift shops wondering why guys are taking up baking Angel Food Cake in droves all of a sudden.

Not to steal your thunder but I've been doing the same with one of these for a while, serves double duty too.

Ya, but it's just way more satisfying to my way of thinking to have come up with the idea and made it yourself. Kind of like catching the fish you smoked on a fly you bought in a store, vs one you tied yourself. I like to tinker and I love working with aluminum. That could be one of the reasons I settled on an Ali boat. Love making stuff myself out of aluminum for the boat with my own two hands. I just get way more satisfaction that way.

Not to knock the pre made option. Whatever works for you, but I'm not sure if that thing would fit inside the bottom of my smoker and still be able to load all my smoker trays. Mine will still fit under the stock drip tray position. I just have it raised in the pictures because I was only smoking one tray as a test run. Also the maze aspect gives you a controlled rate of burn. Not sure how you load that with pellets and have it burn at a set rate without dividers in it. I'm sure it works great for you, or you wouldn't be using it. I guess I just love the do it your self aspect of it.

I'm kind of goofy that way though. I don't really care how long it takes to work aluminum. I mostly don't even use power tools most of the time. I'm crazy old school that way. I usually fabricate aluminum by cutting with hand saws and shape everything by hand with a file. I draw the line at trying to drill with the old hand driven drills though. That would take a month of Sundays to punch all those holes that way. Although youu'd probably get a better burn on your arms than going to the gym.

BTW do not buy heating pellets for wood furnaces. They are only 6 bucks a bag, but they are full of nasty chemicals. The Traegar wood pellets are food grade, but they use wood essence oils to add the wood flavoring to a base wood. Basically the same as liquid smoke added to make it seem like it's a different type of wood. Some guys say it's fine, I'd rather use a natural product even if it's blended. At least it's blended with real wood. Most of the different brands are blends. 100% unblended pellets are only available in the states as far as I can tell. Expensive, and a huge shipping bill on top from what I've heard. So it's blended pellets up here. Most are blended with Alder, which is what you want for smoking Salmon anyways.

Care to elaborate on the nasty chemicals found in the wood stove pellets??

No chemical in the food grade pellets. I get Traeger brand pellets myself. They come in different flavours. I made my own amazing pellet smoker out of perf steel. I get 12 hours of smoke out of a tray of pellets. Works damn good.

Sorry Jackel, I'm not up on the chemical composition of the wood pellets used for fuel. From what I've read it's just a real bad idea to use them. Results in a poor smoked product and I imagine it wouldn't be too healthy for you. From what I gathered the fuel pellets use glue to bind them together. The smoking pellets use natural cellulose, or something along those lines as a binding agent to hold them together. I don't really know all the details. The food grade pellets are also very selective on where they source there woods so there's no contaminants like oil or other stuff that might be found in commercial wood by products. Just from what I'd read, it wasn't a good idea to use fuel pellets.

Last edited:
One of the tips I've also seen was to drill some holes at the rear of the big chief near the pellet smoker tray. I just left the door cracked open a bit on the test run for added ventilation. I'm thinking that could be a problem if it got windy, as the door could blow off. Now that I know my pellet smoker setup works well I will probably drill vent holes in the rear.

I have found some bags of pellets specify not to use for cooking or for human consumption. I only buy food grade pellets that are for BBQs or smokers, as these pellets are made from clean hardwood.

I found this description of wood pellets from a pellet manufacturer that makes them for pellet stoves.

Pellets can be made from any one of five general categories of biomass: industrial waste and co-products, food waste, agricultural residues, energy crops, and virgin lumber.Wood pellets are the most common type of pellet fuel and are generally made from compacted sawdustand related industrial wastes from the milling of lumber, manufacture of wood products and furniture, and construction.[citation needed] Other industrial waste sources include empty fruit bunches, palm kernel shells, coconut shells, and tree tops and branches discarded during logging operations.
So-called "black pellets" are made of biomass, refined to resemble hard coal and were developed to be used in existing coal-fired power plants. Pellets are categorized by their heating value, moisture and ash content, and dimensions. They can be used as fuels for power generation, commercial or residential heating, and cooking. Pellets are extremely dense and can be produced with a low moisture content (below 10%) that allows them to be burned with a very high combustion efficiency.

I have cold smoked several batches of Indian Candy (Chum) using the AFC cold smoker in my big chief. The product turned out very well. I way prefer the result using the cold smoker to using the heating element and smoker chips in the big chief. The Salmon had a very nice smoked flavor, yet still remained moist. That is the way I prefer my smoked Salmon. Using the heating element even on the coldest of nights usually produced a harder and drier Salmon than I prefer. I usually prefer a bit heavier smoke flavoring as well, and I had to use chips sparingly with the heater element or it would end up too dry for my liking. So, if you like your smoked Salmon to remain moist and still have lots of smoke flavoring this method is definitely the way to go using a big chief type electric smoker. You can always use the element for a while afterwards if you wish to dry the product out a little bit more after the pellets have finished smoking the salmon.

The results using this method in my limited trials have been very postive. I have found no downside to using the pellets in my home made AFC cold smoker tray so far.

Last edited:
The results using this method in my limited trials have been very postive. I have found no downside to using the pellets in my home made AFC cold smoker tray so far.

Great idea, good to hear your results have been good so far.
The only failure I have had with this method so far was when I lit both ends of the row of pellets.
I've heard it is supposed to give a smoker result this way.
I had too much air flow in my smoker and the pile of pellets burst into flames once the 2 glowing ends of pellets got closer together in the middle.
That flame sure can heat up a smoker :mad:

Perfect weather for cold smoking right now. Did up some chunks of Spring Salmon and cheese last night. Worked fantastic with the freezing temps it kept the smoker even cooler. Did about a ten hour smoke and the fish was still totally moist. It can be sliced micro thin, with a sharp knife and is some of the nicest fish I've ever smoked (perfect consistency). You could not buy lox any better than this.20161205_141521.jpg

Chum is going in the smoker tonight.

Back