My 14 foot aluminum to bass boat project

BrodieG

Well ive been busy working on this every spare hour ive got. Its a Sea Nymph 14 foot aluminum ive converted to a bass boat.

Boat is powered by an 05 yamaha 9.9 fourstroke and a Minn Kota powerdrive V2 55 lb thrust up front.

Heres a couple pics to show where im at right now while I upload the rest

A0572D48-5639-42B9-82D0-876907B410C1-11189-00000DF40D19D3FA.jpg

405B2342-DEA3-4B2F-A647-63CCA29CFB73-11189-00000DF4287A51A4.jpg

Not to shabby! I thought about doing this with my 12ft aluminium but never got around to it. Not to many bass fisherman on this site it seems.

Hoping to have the build buttoned up for the long weekend and go try her out on the water. Cant wait for the warmer weather and some good bass fishing this year. Hopefully get some trout slime on it this weekend.

Looks great and clearly a lot of effort went into both the design and build. Any idea of the weight addition and was this a concern? I assume you trailer not back of pickup this machine. Did you make the floors easily removable? How wide is your 14 and do you have any stability concerns?

I have considered doing a smaller scale project to my 12ft but I have to load and unload from truck so ease of removal is important. What thickness of ply did you use and is it marine grade? Carpeting looks great and the rod storage too!

Only things I saw missing was the beer cooler (must be at back) and the 8 track player!!

Shes a trailer queen so no concerns there. The floor is easily removable if need be for cleaning and such. All ply was exterior grade 1/2" with a few coats of spar urethane on everything. I dont remember the width off the top of my head but its plenty stable.

I will snap some more pictures when its done this week and hopefully some on the water this weekend.

Its got plenty of storage in the bow and lots on the left side and even more in the back of the boat. Plenty of room for the beer cooler and even a couple cup holders to boot.

Love these project threads, thanks for sharing! Nice spot for the CD player. I don't think I've seen one in that location before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good,just bought a 12' Lund and thinking of doing the same.Keep the pics and your comments of pro's and con's coming.

Are you not worried about stability? I find most 12-14 foot tin boats not so stable but to raise he centre of balance 14-18 inches and not going over board will be a skill. Be sure to wear a life... Very interesting build but I think it might be unsafe.

Thats a nice looking rig, you do good work. How long did it take you?

kunni

Been busy working on it since December. Im not worried about stability as the seatin positions have not changed at all and are the same height as before it was decked.

Only time will tell though!

I mounted the stereo close enough for me to operate while using the tiller arm gas motor and it has a remote if I choose to fish from the bow position. Also has the switch panel mounted there for the lights, bilge pump and fish finder.

The carpet is Marine carpet so it should last a few years atleast. Best part is if im not happy with it or decide I dont like something I can change it. Simple as that.

I wanted something more functional for what I enjoy doing and I wanted ample storage space and this is what I came up with. Im going to fish it hard this season then make any changes if necessary for next season.

Id like to get something a bit bigger next year and do another conversion

Your project looks awesome, I did a similar thing to my 12 foot last summer only I did mine in about 2 hours. I love it, fished it lots. Where are you located BrodieG. I'm in Victoria. up for bassin anytime.
DSCF5015.jpg

Im in Sooke and fish all over Vic. Im up for it anytime man. Goong to spend a lot of time on the water this year

Well ive taken it out and gotten a bunch of trout slime on it over the weekend.

Boat is excellent and very stable. I think the extra weight making the boat sit lower actually made it more stable. Zero issues with 2 adults in it and moving around. The added weight makes it a little more tricky to launch and load the boat.

Heres a few more pictures of the project. Its inthe garage getting some little odds and ends still and hiding out from the nasty weather.

8C9B60A0-665D-4971-9553-65B63924193B-16143-0000142A8D7B5C9C.jpg

8AEBBF37-688E-4C68-BB8B-BB2202394573-16143-0000142A97E19AB8.jpg

A42113D4-30CE-4F1D-BBF1-3B63B61C9617-16143-0000142AA63008E2.jpg

That thing looks awesome! Way to go on the mods, very clean looking lines and that power, can't go wrong with a Yamaha. Would be great for Chronie fishing or exploring the shoals of most lakes.

Are you not worried about stability? I find most 12-14 foot tin boats not so stable but to raise he centre of balance 14-18 inches and not going over board will be a skill.

First thing I was thinking...... Sure does look nice though. I've been thinking something similar for the 12 foot grady

Back