Mustang PFD rearming kits

pescador

Anybody know how long a Mustang auto inflate PFD can be used before a new rearming kit needs to be installed? Mine are getting north of 5 years and I want to ensure they are safe.

I believe that they are to be done every 3 years

There should be a date stamped on them

I got mine at Bass Pro. A couple of cautions: There are a few different Mustang models and the rearm kits are not universal. Also check the expiry dates on the packages. When I bought mine at Bass Pro several of the Mustang kits for sale had expiry dates with only a year left. The kits area bit pricey and I don't imagine they fly off the shelf. I have seen them in regional marine supply/maintenance shops (e.g. Macandales in Port Hardy).

You can look at the co2 canister and it should have printed on the side the minimum gross weight with gas installed. My 38 gram cylinder says mgw 149.2 grams. On a scale it weighs 152 grams so easily within the limit. I weigh each canister a couple times a season to make sure they are within specs.
I also check for wear on the jackets and make sure the manual fill tube is in good shape.

Five years is definitely getting a little long in the tooth for a re arm kit. As mentioned above check the dates before you buy a replacement, as they can get close to stale date sitting on the store shelf. Also make sure you have the right re arm kit, because there are several different models used. I have three, and they all take a different cartridge.
Now is also a good time to practice with it. If you want to go whole hog, go swimming with it, at the very least put it on and manually inflate it.
@casper5280 posted a good video about inflatables on this forum a week or so back.

For auto-inflate PFDs there are two components, the CO2 canister and the baking soda "trigger". It is usually the baking soda component that seems to go stale earlier. A fresh one will likely fizz when it gets wet (if you are old enough to remember baking soda submarines you will know what I mean) and release the CO2, while the older ones will just tend to get mushy and might not work properly. You can still use the manual inflate pull-cord, but the components still need to be up-to-date to be legal, especially if you have a "C" on your boat.

Ok, sounds like time to replace all of them given age. I saw on youtube most are a 5 year replacement requirement. Thanks.

Back