Moutcha Bay Late June, Thoughts?

Rain City

Crew Member
A buddy is taking the initiative to plan a little trip and suggested this place late June. Any thoughts on that?

A bit early for the area, but, one never knows. You will have to work for them. The place is spectacular so with or sans fish it'll be great. Hali should be ok off shore depending on regs.

A bit early for the area, but, one never knows. You will have to work for them. The place is spectacular so with or sans fish it'll be great. Hali should be ok off shore depending on regs.
That was my thinking timing wise as well. Not that I have any experience there but when there's a "shoulder season" rate it's usually for good reason.

Late June is fine, but there won't be any fish inside. A bit of a run to the outside. But, with your boat, who cares?!?!?!

We just booked July 11 to 16 there and it looks amazing. I haven't been but one of our crew has. Are you going to run the condo up there?

Pescador, I owe ya a PM and will reply for sure, thanks man

Late June is fine, but there won't be any fish inside. A bit of a run to the outside. But, with your boat, who cares?!?!?!
We just booked July 11 to 16 there and it looks amazing. I haven't been but one of our crew has. Are you going to run the condo up there?

Pescador, I owe ya a PM and will reply for sure, thanks man
If it were more than two days fishing it would make sense. I offered to get it towed and we could all split it but those guys would rather rent the 18' cc's.

Last edited:
A buddy is taking the initiative to plan a little trip and suggested this place late June. Any thoughts on that?
Maybe a tad early, I was there July long weekend 2018 and saw no lines in the water before Maquinna Point which is about 18 nautical miles from Moutcha Bay Resort. But hey, with all that money you saved buying that 300K boat for 100K, you should be OK with the extra fuel bill, lol. Seriously though the resort is top notch, the scenery very nice, and we did catch fish within sight of the lighthouse.

Better off staying out closer to the Light. Critter or NSR or the cabins out near the light. Sounds like all you need is moorage with your floating RV. Heard June can be great out at the highway and Bajo but inside doesn’t get going until mid July in my experience.

Ive fished it with great success in June. Lighthouse outwards will be fine. Find the bait and you will be on fish. Nothing Big but lots of feeders !! Best for me was my son and I limiting out with a fish every 6 minutes !!! that was last week of June amongst schools of Needle fish. Take smaller AP Tackle Spoons

Greg

If it were more than two days fishing it would make sense. I offered to get it towed and we could all split it but those guys would rather rent the 18' cc's for some reason.

That would be an epic bill to gold river They rent Grady's too, I believe.

Problem with the new fisheries Regs, IS once august comes fishing is good everywhere on this coast. Was nice to go to big bank earlier in the season when the fish have not arrived at the terminal areas yet.

Hope they open Big bank July 1st

The boat will be fine if you get one with the seat that can be moved so the driver doesn't have to stand up all day long-you'll see what I mean when you do the rental and don't be afraid to insist you want a more comfortable boat-remember the dockhands don't actually fish them and so most (not all) couldn't care less one way or the other.

Also they're real funny about having the boat cleaned up-they won't give you a brush or even a rag to hand it in clean but it has to be clean or they try to ding you $50 'cleaning charge'.

Then there's the briefing.....

If it were more than two days fishing it would make sense. I offered to get it towed and we could all split it but those guys would rather rent the 18' cc's for some reason.

So what some people do is run their boats into Campbell River then get a commercial boat hauler to run from CR to the Gold River launch. During the commercial opening in Nootka Sound (in I think it's late July) lots of 40 ft gill netters are being dragged down that road by guys in short wheel base single axle tractors with big commercial type boat trailers. They drive that road in no time at all. I've had them pass me. They don't **** around. They arrive at the launch in Gold River, put the captain in the boat, back down the launch at 20 mph dump the boat and take off in a couple of minutes. Not sure what their fee is but it's not as complicated to haul a boat from CR to GR as you may think.

I have done Moutcha and their Salmon Derby several times in the past and was never disappointed. One year it was really windy and as everyone said all salmon will be from Lighthouse and outwards. We still hit some decent fish right around the Lighthouse but you will be very limited on where you can fish with any hope of success for salmon. If the wind plays nice this might be my preferred time there as it is not very busy and fishing can be hot. Sizes are not huge yet - anything over 20 is big then. But you can hit a dozen teeners per shift if a new wave comes by. The 18CC are good for 2 maybe 3 people. But yes, the driver stands a lot so you'd better be in shape. And yes, they gave us gear for boat cleaning. If you rent more than 3 days it is worth considering bringing your own boat - cost wise. I think they charge around $500 a day.

I believe late June is prime time off shore for sure (from the lighthouse and out). You wont find any fish inside. if you can time it the Moucha Bay Salmon Derby its a pretty fun event...I should know as I'm last years winner:) Honestly last year was my best year by far. We Fished the Friday, Sat & Sunday ( Derby) and Monday and between my buddy and I we caught and released 40 plus Springs. The Saturday of the derby we released 21 springs and kept and entered 2 ( 24.2lbs abd a 21lbs) multiple double headers, not to mention the coho fishing was excellent. We'd go past the light house half way to wash rock and troll to Beano and back was always the plan until we got into fish then just stayed on them.

Good Luck

So what some people do is run their boats into Campbell River then get a commercial boat hauler to run from CR to the Gold River launch. During the commercial opening in Nootka Sound (in I think it's late July) lots of 40 ft gill netters are being dragged down that road by guys in short wheel base single axle tractors with big commercial type boat trailers. They drive that road in no time at all. I've had them pass me. They don't **** around. They arrive at the launch in Gold River, put the captain in the boat, back down the launch at 20 mph dump the boat and take off in a couple of minutes. Not sure what their fee is but it's not as complicated to haul a boat from CR to GR as you may think.
That's how it was explained to me as well. NBD

This is true....my buddies use these guys from French Creek over to Port Alberni each year: https://www.boatmoving.ca/ It's smooth and easy and the fee is not bad at all. Not sure what that would look like from Campbell River to Gold River but now I am thinking I am going to find out for my own trip.

This is true....my buddies use these guys from French Creek over to Port Alberni each year: https://www.boatmoving.ca/ It's smooth and easy and the fee is not bad at all. Not sure what that would look like from Campbell River to Gold River but now I am thinking I am going to find out for my own trip.
I've been meaning to call them about pricing actually.
I have done Moutcha and their Salmon Derby several times in the past and was never disappointed. One year it was really windy and as everyone said all salmon will be from Lighthouse and outwards. We still hit some decent fish right around the Lighthouse but you will be very limited on where you can fish with any hope of success for salmon. If the wind plays nice this might be my preferred time there as it is not very busy and fishing can be hot. Sizes are not huge yet - anything over 20 is big then. But you can hit a dozen teeners per shift if a new wave comes by. The 18CC are good for 2 maybe 3 people. But yes, the driver stands a lot so you'd better be in shape. And yes, they gave us gear for boat cleaning. If you rent more than 3 days it is worth considering bringing your own boat - cost wise. I think they charge around $500 a day.
I agree that if we're heading out deep and spending $1500 over three days I'd much rather be on the condo. Sleeps 4 comfy too so saves on cabin rentals. If the fish aren't there in numbers though I'd honestly rather just be hitting Thrasher for the weekend to pick up clones. Our whole purpose for traveling away from home is Halibut and Hogs.

I believe late June is prime time off shore for sure (from the lighthouse and out). You wont find any fish inside. if you can time it the Moucha Bay Salmon Derby its a pretty fun event...I should know as I'm last years winner:) Honestly last year was my best year by far. We Fished the Friday, Sat & Sunday ( Derby) and Monday and between my buddy and I we caught and released 40 plus Springs. The Saturday of the derby we released 21 springs and kept and entered 2 ( 24.2lbs abd a 21lbs) multiple double headers, not to mention the coho fishing was excellent. We'd go past the light house half way to wash rock and troll to Beano and back was always the plan until we got into fish then just stayed on them.

Good Luck
Any idea what the most prevalent baitfish is in Moutcha Bay?? Herring? Anchovy? Needlefish??

Back