Mounting Radar Domes

lawlu

Hello,

Just bought a used radar. I have a hardtop and want to mount it directly to the top. Currently there is a GPS antennae puck and a spotlight mounted up there. They would be closer to the bow than where I would be mounting the radar dome or in-front of the dome. Will I have issues?

Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by lawlu

Hello,

Just bought a used radar. I have a hardtop and want to mount it directly to the top. Currently there is a GPS antennae puck and a spotlight mounted up there. They would be closer to the bow than where I would be mounting the radar dome or in-front of the dome. Will I have issues?

Thanks!

In general you have to make sure that the radar is above any obstruction in it's path -- so you'd have to be sure that it is mounted above the light (GPS puck would not normally obstruct it).

It is quite possible that if the GPS and/or the light are mounted close to the radar (1-2') that you could end up with some electro-magnetic interference. EM interference from the light could squelch the radar signal and similarly, the EM from the radar could dampen the receive sensitivity of the GPS.

Garmin's recommends that it should be mounted 7' from other electronics and that the GPS antenna should be completely out of the radar path (25 degree sweep).

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/1260_GMR21_41InstallationInstructions.pdf

TenMile
<'((((><

It is very much a “beam” thing!

An ideal scanner mounting location is high above the ship's keel line with a minimal part of the vessel's structure or rigging blocking the radar “beam”, Obstructions in the path of the radar “beam” may cause blind and shadow sectors, or generate false echoes. The higher the installation position, the further the scanner can detect targets. Your light, if inside the “beam” could very well cause a blind spot or shadow on your screen.

The radar scanner puts out electromagnetic energy and is very much capable of “frying” your GPS, if the GPS antenna is within the “beam”, just needs to be “out” of the radar “beam”. It isn’t the distance concerning the GPS or light, rather are they in the “beam”!

You can see how mine is mounted!

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Other point to consider is if the GPS antennae is any where close to the radar beam it will be destroyed by the electro magnetic radiation. You should mount the GPS antennae either above or below the radar sweep to avoid this.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I had a bit of room to the left of the light and in front which was a better option. Thanks for the GPS antenna comment as it would have been almost at the same height as the scanner. I will install an extension for the gps antenna so it is slightly higher than the scanner.

No worries, that is what I had to do given the size of my radar. Just installed a short antennae pole and hard mounted the GPS antennae to the top.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back