Mounting new motor

Captain Dudds

So I'm going to look at a motor soon - I'm not sure if its long shaft or what it is, but the twins I have on right now are long shaft. Is long shaft an exact measurement, like fits boat with 40" from bottom of hull to top of mount, or is it just a general term? The main question is, if this next motor turns out to be long shaft, will I be able to just swap it on or will I be building up/dropping down my transom?

Also, how do you figure out exactly what height to mount it? Does the cavitation plate line up with the bottom of the hull?

Thanks,

The cavitation plate should line up with the hull bottom. Otherwise you will have cavitation and the opposite will give too much drag.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

Long shafts fit a 20" transom height and I am pretty sure this is standard and you can swap them without any major adjustments. XL I believe is 22".

What size of boat is it, what size is the new power, 4- stk?, what was the power youre taking off? xlong is 25",xxlong is 30". I have a pair of transom adaptors that will lift your engines higher on the transom. I had them on my 250's because I got the engines 30" to keep the heavier powerheads as far away from the water as possible. Ill sell em cheap if you need.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

its a very small boat - 14-15 feet. It has twin 25's on it right now (I know its ****ed), and I'm looking at a honda 50 4-strk. The transom is raised a few inches to support the long shafts that are on there. I'm guessing the transom is made to support a short shaft and its raised 5 inches, which is good because I could easily remove the extension if its short shaft and just put it on if its long. Although, since the hull is deeper in the center, switching from twins to a single might be a problem. Time will tell.

I've had little success arranging to see the motor I'm interested in, so I'm not sure what it is - I was just trying to get a heads up on how difficult/expensive it might be to switch to a different shaft length.

Thanks for he reply's, I'll be sure to have more questions if this deal goes through.

Back