Motoring/camping in Broken Group Isles.

Matsutake

Was told recently motor boat camping was illegal in the Broken Group. I was under the impression that so long as you camped at the specified camp spots you were good to go.
Anyone know anything on this?
Thanks!

heard you can't fish in a federal park either.there are island to the east of park that has camping.

True Poppa-- but dont they still have their summer student "wardens" that check regularly?

I have slept on the boat many times within 50 feet of the occupied ranger station and nobody moved us along-but then we stayed on the boat!

Just tell them you'll move along as soon as you sober up. They can't make you operate your boat under the influence:)

If I can motor through and all around, why no beaching my naden tinny and putting up a tent? Kinda same as a kayak, drag the boat up and camp out....what could be the issue?

FA thats care and control of a viehical with alcohol above leagal limit.could affect your drive licence if charged ,crimminal if convicted.

Last edited by a moderator:
FA thats care and control of a viehical with alcohol above leagal limit.could affect your drive licence if charged ,crimminal if convicted.

That's why he stays put, when they tell him to move. Same thing happend when I pulled off the road in my camper and the cops asked me to move along. I told them I already cracked a beer, they were happy to let me stay.

i did that 4 or 5 years ago, friends kayaked and i motored along beside them in a 10 ft RIB. camped in all the same spots as them all week

I have camped in the broken islands a few times with my boat and had people tent on shore that were with me in the designated camping sites. In fact I even had a stern line tied to shore while on the hook. I have talked to the parks people a few times when they were collecting camping fees and they never said a word to me about my boat. In my experience lots of kayaker's think the Broken Islands should be for kayaking or canoeing only. Would be interested Matsutake where you heard no motoring or camping in the Broken Islands. If I had to guess it would be from some kayakers.

P.S I also own two kayaks

Yep, you're right on. It was a kayaking group. Thanks for the input, I could not find anything in print that would back up their claims.

weve crashed on the hook several times in the park ,
10-20 yards from the beach , no issues ,
see alot of guys doin it , most seem quite respectful , nicest sun drops in the country !!
just too beautiful of a spot ta even think about NOT leavin as we found it ,
BUT , every once in a while , theres " THAT GUY " or group , pretty sad seein empties and garbage lying around....dont get it...
i do know the park ranger , or atleast one of them, resides on the West side of Bamfield ,they cruise the park often in the summer
he peeks on this site occasionally , will drop him a line, see if hed care to chime in perhaps

hv fun

fd

just a little make believe by the windmillers. "These are OUR islands and WE don't pollute so everyone else should be forced to stay away":cool:

Also been doing that for many years now. As long as you camp in the designated camp areas, you're good. Lots of great spots to drop the hook as well with super protected areas.

Pick up a bag of oysters at the farm -- slam them onto the BBQ, Tabasco, cold brew, tunes, sunset -- can't wait to get back there this year.

Back