Motor size for an older 16ft fiberglass

westcoastlaker

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum. I have owned several 12' aluminum and FG boats in the past and have recently purchased an older 16' fiberglass boat for $500. The boat is a bit of a project, though the hull, floor, and transom all seem very solid. It is a project in that it needs a motor, controls, likely new steering, a bilge pump and battery.

The boat will be used mostly at our little cabin on Upper Campbell Lake to haul family and kids around as well as a little trout fishing. It's a fairly large lake and can get a little windy at times so I'm hoping this can handle chop reasonably well when needed.

I am wondering what I should be looking at HP wise for a new-to-me outboard. I'm thinking 50-60 range, but wonder if that's a little low. My kids are all under 3 right now, so there won't be much for water sports but that's a consideration in the future though likely that will mean a newer boat down the line. Really just towing a tube around and maybe a little waterskiing if we get so inspired.

Mostly though, the boat will be used for taking 3-4 adults and a couple kids out for cruises, picnics and a little fishing. I don't really care about top speed, just so long as we can get up on a plane pretty easily and cruise at a reasonable speed. My concerns of a larger motor are extra cost, weight, and strain on the transom.

The boat doesn't have a tag on the transom so I don't know what it's original rated for, though I'm trying to find out through it's license tag.

I have my eye on a used '87 Yamaha precision blend 50hp for $1000, but recently also found a '80 johnson 70hp for the same price. Both appear to be in pretty good condition for their age. Ideally I'd like to keep the motor+controls cost under $1500.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Warren.55712908_614.jpg 55712908_614.jpg

Looks like a deep V hull.
I wouldn't go any less than 50HP or you'll have a hard time getting her on plane.
A 60HP is ideal.

I had a 70 hp evinrude on a 15.6 hourston Glascraft. Top speed was 36 mph by my self. Was a great package.

I would be careful with the 70HP Johnson..those were on the inferior fuel injection system that many people disconnected and went back to mixing oil and gas in a can to avoid major failure. They are a 3 cylinder and shake quite a bit when idling. The water jacket gaskets are also prone to failing easily if the engine gets hot. Check for discolored paint on the block on the heads or on the exhaust side of the block. Definitely do a compression test to make sure all 3 cylinders are near equal. If one cylinder is down it will likely stall out on you on the idle as it won't create enough vacuum to suck fuel in that hole.

i had a 16ft aluminum that was fine with a 50hp 2xstroke when it was two peopl, but me ,with my two brothers, a cooler and some backpacks i had to use the waves to help me get up on a plane.
i put a 90hp 2 stroke on the boat later on and it was amazing, jumped up on a plane with 3 people, handled and steered better... one of those why didnt i do this earlier moments?!?!
I do like my boats overpowered though, id rather be able to run it at half throttle and have oodles of power to spare then run it at 80% all the time

id look for a 75-90hp two stroke if it was me, certainly no less than 60 IMO. nice to have the extra power for when your heavily loaded or kids want to go tubing

Agreed, you mentioned towing a tube and hauling family around with possible waterskiing? I would look 70-90hp, like that old 80hp I posted above? You'll hate to be out there all summer thinking "I wish I had a bit more jam". Then you'll be driving yourself nuts thinking man I have to de-rig this motor, find a replacement, sell the old one.

If this was to be used a 2 person, get out on the lake and troll boat, you might be just okay with a 60hp. That boat looks heavy and who knows how water logged the foam might be...

I had an old 16' that I repowered 3 times. 40hp, 85hp and finally 115hp. Just my opinion but I'd go with the most power my budget would allow. Better to have more than you need rather than find out at a bad time your under gunned.

Thanks everyone for their advice. Looks like I'm best off with a 60-90 range. I've e-mailed the fellow with that 80hp merc, hopefully it's still available and in reasonable shape. If anyone runs across something else in that hp range please let me know!

Thanks everyone for their advice. Looks like I'm best off with a 60-90 range. I've e-mailed the fellow with that 80hp merc, hopefully it's still available and in reasonable shape. If anyone runs across something else in that hp range please let me know!

I had a double eagle for years with a 1989 Envinrude 60hp VRO on it. I did disconnect oiler and mix gas. But to date it was my best motor I had. It was a very heavy boat and most likely heavier than yours. Once you add your kickers etc. More weight puts you at greater risk on the transom. Especially if your at full power and way overpowered and stop suddenly. Anything over 70 is overkill, and be careful on the older Mercs.

go with a 60 to 65hp outboard good power range, and light enough to not sink the transom lol. I have a Merc 85hp on my 17.5' deep v and its plenty of motor for it as well doing about 30mph fully loaded up with guys and gear.

If you look at Yamaha's web site, under "Owner Resources"they have a section called "Performance Bulletins" which consist of various motors tested on various boats. Other outboard mfgr's have this type of data as well. Your boat won't be listed, but something similar should be.
When I was a kid we had a 14ft FG with a 28 Johnson. Would get an adult on 2 ski's up but not on 1 ski.

Similar to a hull I had and mine had a 115 Merc on it. Fantastic for any tubing, skiing or barefooting, 43 mph. You should be able to find an old Evinrude/Johnson 90 hp V4 dirt cheep that will meet your needs for years to come.

Last edited:
Most of the 16-17 ft fibreglass hulls owned by my family or friends have had engines in the 75-90 hp range.

If you overpower your boat and have an accident, your insurance policy (providing you insured the boat, a good idea if you're into water sports) can be voided by the insurance provider. Just saying... :-(

great. This was exactly the kind of info I was after. Thanks for all the links too. Time for shopping. I'm hoping to get something this winter before prices go up in the spring :) I'm trying to dig up some info on the boat through the license tag... we'll see what I can find re what it's rated for, but it looks like 60-70 is the general consensus.

Thanks

Back