motor leg length with pod?

MGH

fixing up old boat. Thought i would put a pod on 21 foot boat.
What length motor leg for pod. Makes a difference on size of pod being built.
Thanks.

Go for XXL leg if building a new pod. It will help keep the motor cowling from being swamped in following seas or when coming off plane fast.

Oly

Go for XXL leg if building a new pod. It will help keep the motor cowling from being swamped in following seas or when coming off plane fast.

Oly
Thanks. Almost bought wrong engine. On the watch for 150 to 200 HP XXL 25"leg.

Longer is better as it allows you to keep the powerhead as high up as possible. The only downside to this is centre of gravity being higher up ....some boats are sensitive to weight load placement. IO boats are often more stable because the engine sits so low on the centre line of the hull.

would XXL be 30". wow that puts a very high pod height. i was thinking a 25"XL would be sufficient. See what you mean by following sea or coming off plane fast.
Thanks for reply Oly.

would XXL be 30". wow that puts a very high pod height. i was thinking a 25"XL would be sufficient. See what you mean by following sea or coming off plane fast.
Thanks for reply Oly.
Seems that 30"XXL shaft engines are for over 250HP . i don't need that much HP on a 21 foot boat. 150 to 200 HP is what i'm looking for.

Don't forget that for every foot back you mount motor from transom the motor moves up 1 inch. The distance from motor to transom will be determined by the tilting distance arch of the motor.pod measurements 2.gif pod measurements.gif

Attachments

• pod measurements 3.gif
    pod measurements 3.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 18
I know for my boat if I had gone with a single it needed a 30” leg. Since I went with twins I only needed 25” legs. Mine are mounted second hole from the top and that’s puts them at exactly the correct height on the cavitation plate. They also sit a few inches out of the water when trimmed up and a healthy load of fuel on board which is nice at the marina. I see a lot of podded boats that a big part of their legs sitting in the water all summer. I’ve said it before there is a lot to consider in pod design. Pods and brackets are different and will deliver different results on a particular hull.

Last edited:
pod measurements 3.gif
I know for my boat if I had gone with a single it needed a 30” leg. Since I went with twins I only needed 25” legs. Mine are mounted second hole from the top and that’s puts them at exactly the correct height on the cavitation plate.
This is why yours moved up

Seems that 30"XXL shaft engines are for over 250HP . i don't need that much HP on a 21 foot boat. 150 to 200 HP is what i'm looking for.
I run a 225 Honda on a pod and a 30” shaft, 25” would barely make it but would be sitting way to low on the pod

A 30"shaft seems awful rare in the used market. Will have to keep eyes open and ears straining.

A 30"shaft seems awful rare in the used market. Will have to keep eyes open and ears straining.
Depends how you pod is built, and the draft of you boat i would think, few of my buddy have pods with 25” shaft and seem just fine, my 30” is sitting up on hole number 4

I was lucky to find a used low hour Suzuki DF250 with the XXL leg for my project Grady this winter, I had to modify the pod bracket a bit but all worked out, the cowling sits nice and high

Attachments

• A8BCD578-0722-41AF-B767-C15B0D7848E5.jpeg
    A8BCD578-0722-41AF-B767-C15B0D7848E5.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 42
Back