Motor Issue

CelticSea

This morning I went to leave the dock and my motor stalled on me. Had the other main running. After moving out of the busy ramp area, I tried to troubleshoot. Engine started up fine afterward.

Any experience with similar problem or suggestions?

Last edited:
Sounds like you found the problem, if you are at all mechanical power heads are very easy to remove. At least you could save money on the labour bill that way. I would suggest doing both, after all they are twins

yep the old F150 corrosion related exhaust leak. I am actually just about to start tearing down my buddy's 150 to repair this very problem. his is a 2004. they are known for this failure. basically crappy metallurgy makes it that they corrode at the exhaust guide. His actually burned a hole through the side plastic leg cover as well, also port side. I will hoist the block off and have a look. the bad part is that sometimes it corrodes the sealing surface on the engine block as well. That's when a expensive repair turns into looking for another motor. He'll at least need a new exhaust guide, which will be in the order of 800$ i figure, plus gaskets, etc. Dont know the status yet, but will know in the next few weeks. Apparently this was fixed with better metallurgy after 2006, so Yamaha was aware of the problem, but you are on your own to fix.

Same thing happened to me last July with my F225 Yam 2003. Sprung a hole right next to the thermostat. Water kept running into the shift cables screwing up the ability to add power or decelerate. It took 4 outings to figure it out. Couldn't understand why there was so much water running out of the cowling when I stopped. No fixing it. They gave me $500 on a trade-in . Mine had 700 hours. I've felt your pain brother. I understand. Better to find out now than when you're 8 miles off shore, like me.

Update on my friend's F150, if anyone cares. I got it apart and found the exhaust guide was eaten out along the port passage way. bonus is no damage to the engine block so it is preserved. Chewed at the mating surface with the oil pan a little but not enough to bother replacing it. The part was expensive at 800$ but considering the 18k$ price tag of a new motor it's not too bad. Decided to change the oil pump for 500$ since we had the block off, and a few gaskets and the total is just shy of 2k$ in parts. motor is older but only has 650 hours, lots of life left in it. Definitely not worth throwing it away.
upload_2020-5-12_10-39-8.png

Update on my friend's F150, if anyone cares. I got it apart and found the exhaust guide was eaten out along the port passage way. bonus is no damage to the engine block so it is preserved. Chewed at the mating surface with the oil pan a little but not enough to bother replacing it. The part was expensive at 800$ but considering the 18k$ price tag of a new motor it's not too bad. Decided to change the oil pump for 500$ since we had the block off, and a few gaskets and the total is just shy of 2k$ in parts. motor is older but only has 650 hours, lots of life left in it. Definitely not worth throwing it away.
View attachment 52852
Thanks for sharing. What year is this motor? I understand this was a problem on the larger motors around 2007 or so.. but I cant remember specifics.

Back