mooching reel review?

This topic has been discussed to death in dozens of other threads but never the less some good advice here, especially the spin the drag off for storage to prevent line creep.

Also remove the reel from the rod and soak it in cold fresh water and then stand on end to drain. Do not use warm or hot water as it removes the lubricants.

Don’t leave an Islander attached to the reel seats on the rod long term or at all for storage, especially if the rod reel seats are metal as this will corrode the reel foot (replaceable).

Someone came up with a great idea for line creep. Attach the smallest scotty size release clip to the boat/rod holder and clip it on the reel line forward of the reel. That prevents any line creep and pulls off when you grab the rod to play the fish. Of my three MR3’s, one never creeps, one creeps if not set up and maintained well and the thrid will creep a little no matter what you do if it is down deep and has a lot of back pressure on it.

Islanders are more work/maintenance than many reels but on the other hand that incredibly smooth infinite drag will stop a fifty plus fish of a lifetime that is using heavy current to run and keep you from getting spooled where other reels may let you down. That smooth drag will get more fish in the boat than more jerky, sticky type drags you find on many other reels, especially if they are not in new condition.

Gotta say, I've tried many different single action reels including, Shimano, Rapala, Diawa, Peetz, Zebco, and my favorite is the Islander MR 2. You must look after everthing, and if you back off the drag pressure you shouldn't have any line creep. If you do, take them in to Islander, great local company.
Stosh

Left Coast, I do that with all my reels, I just found when I'd have a decent fish on I'd be dealing with the drag on that reel rather than the fish.
Yes I troll off the rigger with them, cut-plug, you can buy a spare spool and line it out with some braid for jigging if you want, it's about a 5 second spool change. I have 1 on my switch rod for steelheading on the Cowie as well. If you go on the site and sign up, you will get the deals of the week. If you contact Justin via email info@allenflyfishing.com and ask I bet he will give you the deal, Promo Code was REEL50 on August 28th. But I will send anyway if it comes up again.
Cheers

Trophy's cannot be made into a lefty, so I don't run em. I did buy one thinking I'm sure I could figure it out. Nope, can't be done. So I run MR3's, I rinse them from a bucket of fresh h20 I keep with me on the boat and back off drag. Never had a creep issue. Made here in Victoria too. Wonder if forged is ever going to come through with a moocher.

Get yourself some Trophys! I have 2 - the large arbor models, for 4 years and in my view you definitely get what you pay for with them...bearings vs bushings, solid durable aluminium construction, nice finish etc. Yes the drag is sensitive but you get used to it and I find I like the sensitivity...lubing the pads frequently reduces the sensitivity if thats what you want - in my view no need to change to a softer (MR3) spring. The rim on the spool is nice and broad so really good for palming without burning your hand. The knobs are small and I like that as well because you can adjust the drag if need be even when the reel is spinning out and thereby avoid the knucklebuster effect. The only problem I had was minor - one knob kept unthreading - 2 years ago applied some Lock-tite (or was it Threadfast?) and its been good ever since. Its an excellent reel for the price and has most of the features of the higher priced reels and its of a quality that its worth rebuilding if the time comes.

Was in the market for an Aluminum Reel setup this season. Purchased an Amundson TMX04 for a really good price (Just over $225 new!). Nice to have over the Daiwa Mooching reels I was using, very good quality without being a straight ripoff of an Islander like the TFO or Tyee Reels. The ported back of the reel is interesting, although PNT also get a special version with a solid back for better 'weathering' (although, I doubt it's an issue), as well as an extra clicker pawl, but I'd prefer to not have an extra dinner bell for the seals anyways.

Overall the reel has very nice mechanics to it, super nice to reel in, and the drag adjustment is perfect. One caveat, it CREEPS bigtime on the rigger when i crank it down to take up slack on the line over 100' down. I've used an MR2 quite a few times as well, and they can be absolutely tight as the rigger clip allows, with the drag on medium-light and it wont creep. Really a pain in the butt because you have to crank the drag down on the Amundson... However, I think I am going to try to re-grease (or maybe de-grease!) the cork drag and see if that improves anything.

As for bang for the buck, I am really happy with the reel, warranty, and even the mooching conqueror rod that I bought as well (nice action, and the grip looks awesome too)! I will just have to see what I can do abou the creep, but it's not a huge dealbreaker at this point.

1077355_10153058643630080_228827648_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
clean the drag on the amundson and relube with oil, not grease. And not lots of oil, just let it soak in then wipe off excess.

Well I got myself a set of MR2's they now have 3 hours on them. Guess they have their place, but here in Courtenay when I am fishing 200+ ft between the line creep and the smaller spool these reels have not made it back out onto my boat.

Looking to see what I could replace them with. Very confused after reeding this thead. Might just stay using my old 4000's.

I fished 6 days on a friend's boat out of Ukee. We usually ran 4 rods. Two Trophy QR 4.5's, one MR3 and my old Shimano 4000.
I like them all about the same. QR's are good value, MR3 had the smoothest drag, and the cheapo functions well and has knobs that suit my fingers.

It's probably just me, but I dislike the sound of the MR3 when a fish runs hard- fingernails on a blackboard. The trophys are too quiet and the plastic reel sounds about right. I don't like my new 4000 or my old Daiwa M-one moochers much.

I got my Allen reel in the mail today (Kraken 5) complete with 30lb backing .
Looks like a beauty, super smooth drag . Just have to load it with 25lb mono.
$8.99 got it right to my doorstep,no tax or duty ?

kraken reel 001.jpgkraken reel 002.jpg

Looks great,RS! Been watching the website for the 50% off deal for a while now.No tax or duty is a bonus as well.
Please give us a performance report after you put it through the gears.I'm very interested in these reels!

I think it's a real good product in comparison with some of the locally made reels ...
make sure you have it shipped to your home, at 8.5 oz they slide through customs
on U.S.P.S and no extra charges apply.

RS very interested in how this reel performs for you, Im guessing you are using them with riggers??...it sure looks good!! did you buy it off the allen website??

Yes, hope to try it out this weekend, it'll be a good test for it running at 150-160' on the rigger.
I ordered off their website.
Allen offer a 20% first order discount as well.

Is it not a fly reel? or have they started making mooching reels? I tried looking them up but cannot access their page. Ok I have it now.., which model ? interested to hear how it goes for you on the downrigger.. in all the reviews seem to be a well built reel.

Is it not a fly reel? or have they started making mooching reels? I tried looking them up but cannot access their page. Ok I have it now.., which model ? interested to hear how it goes for you on the downrigger.. in all the reviews seem to be a well built reel.

I had trouble with their site as well yesterday when having a look at RS's purchase. I had to go "round about" to get to the reels page as their home page wouldn't direct properly.

The one he got was the Kraken.

It's a large arbor fly reel, the biggest one they make.
comparable in size with a standard mooching reel, no free spool.
(Kraken 5)

Back