mooching reel review?

Just read this entire thread. Kinda wish I would have seen it earlier.
Bought myself a Trophy mooching reel for Christmas, tried it out last weekend, not a happy camper, damn near chucked it overboard.
Lost my first fish on it, I was having a heck of a time getting the drag set right, either way too much drag and when I tried backing it off ended up with dang near free spool, well anyways ended up having the hooks pull cause drag was too tight. To avoid line creep I had the drag set so tight you could hardly pull line off the reel by hand.
Have not had the reel apart yet, when you guys talk about oiling the drag what exactly are you appling the oil to and will oiling the drag help with how sensitive the drag is ?

I have been using the old Shimano 4000 Gts forever, been great reals but they are starting to get kinda long in the tooth.
I tried going the large fly reel route.. Had 2 Orvis large arbor saltwater 11-12 weigths, they had amazing smooth drags for a while , toasted the drags on both in less then a season.
Also tried a couple of Mahama mooching reels....anyone remember them...... what a piece of crap they were, they didn't even make it one day before they broke.

Can you buy new corks for the trophys? Ive had mine for years and wow i have not treated them well and they are holding up fantastically! I'd like to put new drag corks in them. I lube my corks with leg oil. Nice and thick.

Just read this entire thread. Kinda wish I would have seen it earlier.
Bought myself a Trophy mooching reel for Christmas, tried it out last weekend, not a happy camper, damn near chucked it overboard.
Lost my first fish on it, I was having a heck of a time getting the drag set right, either way too much drag and when I tried backing it off ended up with dang near free spool, well anyways ended up having the hooks pull cause drag was too tight. To avoid line creep I had the drag set so tight you could hardly pull line off the reel by hand.
Have not had the reel apart yet, when you guys talk about oiling the drag what exactly are you appling the oil to and will oiling the drag help with how sensitive the drag is ?

I have been using the old Shimano 4000 Gts forever, been great reals but they are starting to get kinda long in the tooth.
I tried going the large fly reel route.. Had 2 Orvis large arbor saltwater 11-12 weigths, they had amazing smooth drags for a while , toasted the drags on both in less then a season.
Also tried a couple of Mahama mooching reels....anyone remember them...... what a piece of crap they were, they didn't even make it one day before they broke.

There's a name I haven't heard for a while (Mahama). Those reels only made a brief appearance before heading off to the sun set... :)

pretty sure I could dig a couple up for you or at least fond out for you..just need to know what model you have... :)

Bondo VERY easy to do... do a search on here ive even put pics up on what to do ....If you want to get rid of it chuck it my wayLOL

good luck Wolf

Apparently they are supposed to be preoiled/lubed from the factory. Ive seen inside 2 new ones and there was no grease. Unless the guy you bought it from opened it up to check and did it they might not even have any in there.

Bondo VERY easy to do... do a search on here ive even put pics up on what to do ....If you want to get rid of it chuck it my wayLOL

good luck Wolf

Thanks Wolf
Took the reel apart last night, oiled it up per your advise.
Didn't appear to have any grease or oil applied from the factory.
Just to be on the safe side I made up a stop out of a scotty release to clip to the line off the reel just in case it still creeps.....figured that might keep me from chucking it over board if I still have the creeps.
Heading out tomorrow...let ya all know how it turns out.

Thanks again

You wont get line creep as long as its wiped off YOU CAN over oil them you only want it moist not dripping wet....were we talking about reels???? LOL

good luck Wolf

You wont get line creep as long as its wiped off YOU CAN over oil them you only want it moist not dripping wet....were we talking about reels???? LOL

good luck Wolf

Yes Wolf, I did wipe it off afterwards LOL and yes by golly we be talking reels........

Back